mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Post your shoes of choice for fast XC runs and Hike A Bike days

Left my shoes in the truck bed, no tail gate, bye bye shoes. They were some cheap Shimano SH-M086 shoes I got on clearance a long time ago. Oh well.

Anyway I want to buy two pairs of shoes. One light weight and stiff for days I just want to go fast on trails I know very well and maybe for some race events hopefully this year.

And one for Hike A Bike days for exploring new places. So comfort and grippy soles for when walking on wet boulders and such. Probably would want a flexible sole that can bend at the ball of the foot. Still want a SPD shoe though.

So what do you guys use?

CS2
    mtbr member
    I'm curious myself. But at 3:00 AM we're probably not going to see much.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    I just bought a new pair of specialized sworks MTB shoes, I wanted to improve my pedal performance for my more serious riding, it has all replaceable grips and components that any specialized dealer should be able to get easily, thats the main reason I got these. The LBS had podiatry trained staff to give me a real good shoe fit.

Fiveten make a good do-it-all shoe aimed at the freeride crowd, I have a pair of maltese falcons and love them. I've used them with eggbeater pedals but combined with crank brothers mallet pedals they are friggen awesome, if you stick the replaceable pins out about 2mm the grip feels amazing and the contact to the pedal is flawless. The rubber is tacky so it has great grip for hiking and the shoe is walk/town friendly. I imagine you could say the same for their raven shoe.

Specialized also makes a rime shoe with a very different grip design compared to race spds, they are stiffer than five tens and by the looks of it the front toe grip would be great for hike bike situations.
    Pivot mach 6!

26 for life.
    Hike a bike = Shimano MT90. Mine are going into there sixth year. Highly recommended. Or MT91's now.
    As for disco slippers, I've still not lost my M086's. You can spend a lot more, but would you really notice.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

High Gravity Haze
    Still riding a pair of Sidi Dominator's that I've ridden for the last 11 years and they're still going strong. Toe spikes attached and they've given me all the traction I need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I chose the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III, for those days when you need to hikeabike. They've got a good tread, comfortable footbed and are SPD compatible (I run M520s).

I ended up getting them for a steal at REI due to some yearly sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    Left my shoes in the truck bed, no tail gate, bye bye shoes.

And one for Hike A Bike days for exploring new places. So comfort and grippy soles for when walking on wet boulders and such. Probably would want a flexible sole that can bend at the ball of the foot. Still want a SPD shoe though.

So what do you guys use?
    your shoe's walking off is a real bummer I hate that kinda crap.

you might want to check out the specialized Tahoe Sport for a hike a bike shoe. I love mine.

Vibram sole, with a composite midsole plate that bends at the toes for easy hiking, rock hopping etc.

Specialized Bicycle Components

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Any other comments on the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III? I live in Bozeman and the riding here requires an occasional hike a bike, etc. Would like something that I can dismount and not slip down a steep segment of the trail.

Any others? I prefer a low cut shoe.....

Any deals out there as well? Coupon codes, etc?

mtbr member
    BG SWorks MTB or the BG Rime for epics that involve walking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For what it's worth, I've been riding with a pair of Specialized Pro mtn shoes. I believe its one model under their top of the line shoes. They have a carbon sole, are very easy to thoroughly clean with a garden hose and soap, and have held up surprisingly well for 4 years of abuse. I can probably get a couple more years out of them.
    I recently purchased a replacement pair and decided to try another brand. I found a good deal on the Sidi Spiders and just got them yesterday. Too say the least Iím sending them back, they are no way near as nice as the Specialized shoes Iíve been wearing. My dislikes: no carbon sole, the replaceable tread is more of a gimmick, my current tread has very little signs of wear, the tong doesnít flip up out of the way for easy cleaning and the foot bed seems very cheap. So to say the least for the money they retail for, they sure havenít lived up to their name, maybe thatís what I was paying for, a brand name?
    Anyway, Iím getting the Specialized pro in the white and black this time.

Also, they have gotten much better reviews that most other brands, I can see why.

JM2C
    Mojo

High Gravity Haze
    I may have to check out the Specialized shoes next time I need a new pair. After reading about peoples experiences in the last three or so years with Sidi, I've become suspect of them too. It sounds like Sidi's quality standards have either lowered or their quality control process is failing.

To hopefully secure another 10+ years of riding in one pair of Sidi's I found someone selling a pair of Dominators that are "New, Old Stock" and nearly identical to my old Dominators. The price was right, so I should have my back ups tomorrow. If they are not to my liking, I'll certainly be looking at the Specialized shoe selection soon.

EDR
    Any other comments on the Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III? I live in Bozeman and the riding here requires an occasional hike a bike, etc. Would like something that I can dismount and not slip down a steep segment of the trail.
    The X-Alps should be great for riding and HAB...I've read lots of good stuff about them for all day adventures. I went to REI a while back with the intent of buying them but they just didn't fit me right.

Lake MX165's are also great when needed off bike, even on slickrock. Been riding two pairs for 4 or 5 years now. They are discontinued though, at least in the US. I was fortunate enough to find a ugly red pair online after the Alps didn't work out. I snatched them up and dyed them black...with a fat Sharpie, lol. Caveat, they are heavy compared to many spd's but very well made with a Vibram sole (great for walking/HAB'ing)

As to shoes not to buy for HAB'ing: Speshy BG Comps. Nice shoes for racing I suppose but I almost killed myself trying to hike on Moab slickrock in those things. The sole/tread is like a hard plastic and they had an elf-shoe like contour...they curled up at the toe box and when standing in them I felt like I was falling backwards. The heel is lower than the toe area...like I said, xc/race shoes. Plus the buckles were broken twice while HAB'ing as they catch the rocks. This was years ago.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 06-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Does no one ride in Vans anymore?