Ride in heat
    May 2012

POCs VPD 2.0 and the laundry machine

Recently I swapped all my protection from IXS to POC VPD 2.0, i.e. knee pads, elbow pads, gloves.

I used to laundry my IXS stuff in a laundry machine, on delicate handwash program, up to 40 deg Celsius. During 7 months or so of usage all the straps gone stretched. Now I'm concerned, was it because of the laundrying or was it just poor quality?

I don't want to ruin POCs so quickly, and the label says "hand wash in cold water only".

What would you say - yay or nay to machine wash?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have washed mine a few times in the machine with cold water. I make sure the straps are done up and hang them to dry. It hasn't been long enough to know the effects though, but they get so dirty here in the Winter that I do it anyway.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I've washed my 2.0 knee pads a bunch of times in the washer. I'm not sure what they are called but my wife has a bunch of mesh bags with zippers, made for machine washing delicate items. Put them in one of those and that should take care of the velcro straps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Mine aren't terribly old yet, but I wash all my gear on cold and just sit/hang to air dry. Works well for me, but time will tell.

I Ride Bikes
    I hand wash my POC pads. I just throw everything into a bucket with soapy water. Let it soak for a few minutes. Then I just use a brush to get all the dirt off. Then I just let it dry using the solar dryer. Good ol' Mr. Sunshine.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

two wheel whore
    40 degree Celsius?

It's saying to use tap and hand wash.

I used the washer once. Saw some threads fraying, so no more of that.

Bet your straps stretched from the hot water, and/or if you have an agitator washer

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Frankly I don't want to wash the POCs in the washer, 'cos I really like them and how they are gripping to the skin and not sliding down. But how can you get the dirt, the sweat and the salts off it without the washer? Given that I'm riding every other day, there's not enough time for them to dry naturally, especially if the days are rainy or without much sun...

Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I hand wash my POC pads. I just throw everything into a bucket with soapy water. Let it soak for a few minutes. Then I just use a brush to get all the dirt off. Then I just let it dry using the solar dryer. Good ol' Mr. Sunshine.
    This is the preferred way, I think, but how do you get rid of soap, so it won't dry in the fabric? 'Cos if you leave residues of soap in the fabric - it can irritate your skin during rides...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    40 degree Celsius?

It's saying to use tap and hand wash.

I used the washer once. Saw some threads fraying, so no more of that.

Bet your straps stretched from the hot water, and/or if you have an agitator washer
    I wouldn't really call that hot, since the temps out there in the summer are between 30-40 Celsius in the shade, and even more on direct sun. So combined with the body sweat and multiple moves - it's very similar to the laundry process...

mtbr member
    They're called Lingerie Bags. I wash anything with velcro or straps in them (bibs, pads, gloves, backpacks, etc...)
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.