mtbr member

Poc/Urge style helmets. Others?

Are there any on companies that make helmets similar to the Endur-o-matic or Poc Trabec? I am basically looking for a skate-ish style lid with a visor and more venting. I currently ride with a standard skate lid but here in KS when it gets hot and humid it gets fairly miserable. I know about Bern but I am not really a fan.

Does anybody have any first hand experience with the Enduro? Other helmets of this style? I am about to break down and grab and Enduro. I have been reading "Should have worn/Glad I wore a helmet" stories all night and its really expediting my decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Giro Feature and the Bern Brentwood comes to mind.

mtbr member
    I like the Feature. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Endur-o-matic is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned (and there customer service is very good if you ever need anything).

I used Giro Xen's for years (and have a Kali Avati Carbon that I don't particularly like) that were very good but the Urge is simply better. It has no real pressure points and the padding is excellent. It does get a little hot in the summer (I tend to go back to a Xen when the temp is over 90+ degrees) but as long as you are moving it breathes well.

If you can get past the look of the urge stuff they make good products. (on the warranty side, on of my pads wore out and I snapped the visor (my fault, helmet landed on the visor), I emailed them on a Saturday, heard from the US distributor on Monday, and had the parts by Thursday..I was willing to pay but they send at no charge)

mtbr member
    string, thanks for the reply. I was already to go with the Endur-o-matic based on your review of their CS. Huck and Roll has the "Kandy SJ" which I actually kind of like. Then I saw that they had the Trabec in black for ten dollars more. When I first started looking at this style of helmet it was because of the Trabec. Then when I saw the price I started looking at other options. I ordered a Black/Grey L/XL. I am pretty excited, new gear is always awesome.

mtbr member
    Glad you found one you like. I have always wanted to try the POC stuff.

I am going to give my Kali another ride or two and see if it improves with the thicker pads. If not then I may pick up a Trabec myself. I love the Urge, but need a second summer time helmet and the price on the Trabec is hard to pass. (Plus the Urge all mountain is not supposed to be out till August)

mtbr member
    +1 on the Urge Down-o-Matic...I got one and I love it.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Well the POC is going back. I fell right between the M/L and XL/XXL so I went with the bigger one... My mistake. HnR is out of the smaller size now so my search continues.
    Last edited by yellowjeep; 04-06-2012 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I am going to try out the Edur-O-matic but had a question for anyone with a S/M size

Could you do me a huge favor and measure the total width at the pocket behind the ear?
    (I assume the padding/shell is the same on both sizes)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wound up getting a Kali Chakra plus. Fits really well and the price was right. I still want to try Poc in the correct size at some point down the road but for now I am happy, and more importantly my head will hopefully be held intact.

mtbr member
    Ever tried the 661 recon or the Fox Flux? The new crop of MTB helmets with more back to them and less of the traditional styling may work for you. I love the Recon, its cool, looks nice, and very comfy. Much better looking than the regular lids that look like a mushroom on your noggin.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I looked at both of them actually but after reading tons of reviews I decided that for the price I should give the Kali a try. Its got pretty good coverage on the back (my frame of reference is road bike helmets so grain of salt) and its comfortable. I'd be lying if I said the bright highlighter green didn't factor in to my choice also.