mtbr member
    Mar 2006

POC Pads Rock Solid in the Cold

So, I decided to splurge on some of the VPD v2 pads. They came in the mail today, I opened the box and the pads were stiff as boards!

Apparently, the D30 materials harden in the cold. This is a pretty gross oversight IMO. I live at elevation, and won't be able to leave these in my truck overnight. Talk about a pain in the ass having to warm up your pads before a ride.

mtbr member
    They get warm and soften up pretty quick once you put them on. I often leave my helmet, gloves, etc out on my balcony railing to air out overnight. In the morning, they're frightfully cold (and the VPD pads are stiff), but it's not a problem once you put them on.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    yea they come around pretty quick with body heat, plus most pads that offer that kind of protection don't flex nearly as well

mtbr member
    After your first ride wearing the pads you'll probably at some point realize: "Hey, I barely noticed these things during the ride. They must have warmed up at some point during the ride and I didn't even notice them."

Because that's exactly what happened to me. Initially I thought they were quite stiff and hard, although an improvement over anything else I've worn before.

On the next ride I tried to pay attention as to when they became attached to me. Just a few minutes is all it took.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Re: POC Pads Rock Solid in the Cold

Mine warm up pretty quickly and I soon forget I have them on, even after I finished my ride!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Can you hear me now?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    So, I decided to splurge on some of the VPD v2 pads. They came in the mail today, I opened the box and the pads were stiff as boards!

Apparently, the D30 materials harden in the cold. This is a pretty gross oversight IMO. I live at elevation, and won't be able to leave these in my truck overnight. Talk about a pain in the ass having to warm up your pads before a ride.
    If you read the POC blurb, they specifically point this out and say something along the lines of "wear it for a couple of minutes and it'll loosen up". It's no big drama and a common characteristic across all VPD/3Do/whatever type foams.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey guys - to continue the POC VPD public service announcement here... Note what POC says about NOT trying to muscle the VPD material around while it's cold. If the VPD is cold and stiff, don't try to bend it a lot. Just yesterday, I had a customer who broke his POC VPD spine guard. He had left it outside after he took it off (freestyle skier). It "settled" into a curve shape while it was warm and before the VPD got cold. A couple of hours later, he grabbed it and tried to straighten it out while it was cold and stiff. Craaaack. (We replaced it for him, but I'd like to not have to do that very often...)
    Jim B
    XSportsProtective
    (800)930-4084
    www.XSportsProtective.com
    info@XSportsProtective.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I try to keep them in the house, but when I forget I toss them in front of the window defroster in the car on the ride to the trail.

RideDirt
    User error not POC error .

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSportsProtective View Post
    It "settled" into a curve shape while it was warm and before the VPD got cold. A couple of hours later, he grabbed it and tried to straighten it out while it was cold and stiff. Craaaack. (We replaced it for him, but I'd like to not have to do that very often...)
    Very nice CS, but at the same time there's a point where people should be responsible for their own stupidity. The carboard tags say not to shape it when cold. The cleaning tags say the same thing. As does pretty much any review on the web. Who spends $300 on a jacket without figuring out how to take care of it?

At least, I nope he was nice about it.

FWIW, my jacket is almost great. Good torso protection, the elbow pads are nowhere near burly enough. Easy fix- cut off the arms and substitute for hardshell arm guards. Very happy with it overall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm going to have to strongly disagree that they warm up when in contact with skin at lower temperatures. I have been warming them up on in the truck prior to riding. Within ten minutes of riding they firm up again and are less comfortable below 60F, such that the pads pull away below the knee when bent during pedaling.

Having said this, they are great now that things have warmed up. My only other critique is that the stitching on the top strap tends to tear unless you are very gentle when pulling them on.