Thread: POC knee pads

mtbr member

POC knee pads

I got a great deal on a set of POC Joint VPD Knee Protectors.

I use them for trail riding, so quite a bit of pedaling.

After an hour, my knee cap is rubbed raw. This never happened with the 661 Kyle Straits I had previously.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas why? They seem to fit really well, and are comfortable, aside from the rubbing.

Competent User

POC knee pads

Can't say I've had that problem at all. I've got vpd 2.0 knees.

mtbr member
    I've got VPD 2.0's and no issue's at all being rubbed raw. Been riding with them for 2-3 month's probly 10-15 miles per ride.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

Long live the ASR-7
    2.0s here too. Nothing but good things to say about them. Don't notice them ever. I've worn them on 4 hour pedaling epics, days at the DH park and shuttling. They are not bulky and fit great under my riding pants. They could probably be worn under jeans without issue.

They are my favorite knee pads so far. I've tried 3 different 661 sets.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Try some Chamois crème on your knees.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just picked up a pair and I haven't had a chance to wear them with bare knees yet. I suggest a thin knee warmer. Also you can try the tops of a pair of long thin socks with the feet cut off. The pads will hold them up but they will hopefully stay tight against the knee. Good luck.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Trail Ninja
    I have vpd 2.0 and have no issues with the front of my knee rubbed. The back of my knee is always my issue no matter which knee pads (with elastic straps above and below the knee). Only 300+ miles on them though, on rides lasting 8-30 miles (45 mins to 3.5 hours). I had Kyle Straits before these and they fit really loose in comparison, but comfortably. Their problem is that they don't absorb much of the impact. I had a nice wake-up call when I tried to huck a mere 2.5 ft drop to flat with speed and bounced/got squirrely on landing since I lost my footing on one of my pedals, and ended up falling over to the side with my knees and hands hitting the ground. Felt like the impact went straight through and got a nice bruise from that... at least it wasn't bloody and scraped.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My 2.0s have been great. Liking them more than my Fox Launch Pros and Leatt 3DF. Seem to curve around the side of the knee better for more protection than the other two. I did have some bad chafing on the back of my legs after some 15-20mi rides. Turns out it was the tags causing this. The left one has more tags and sure enough was causing more rubbing. Cut them all off and no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think I have the '12 model VPD2.0s or whatever, as the newer ones are longer but I also get chafing on the inside of my left calf muscle. The problem area is the inside bottom 'corner' of the hard portion - actually rubs off my skin. Only on the left leg though.

Everything else is cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Still have the tags in yours?

Trail Ninja
    Interesting how they have to get this to fit so many different knee shapes. For me, it's always the back of knee, on the inside ligament, getting rubbed until it turns into scar tissue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
    Still have the tags in yours?
    Yep. Wasn't able to glean much from them, care to shed some light?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The tags were what was causing the bad chafing for me. The left one has an extra tag or two iirc so it was causing worse rubbing on the back of my left leg. I removed all the tags and problem solved. Maybe yours is rubbing you in a different area that is not caused by the tags though?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Same issue for me with the original joint knee (1.0?) but only on one knee. figured it's just a fitment/anatomical thing as the pad itself appears identical to the other as far as manufacturing goes.