Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Pearl Izumi X Project Shoes

Pearl Izumi X Project Shoes, anyone find these for sale yet? The way they are designed fits the riding in Thailand to a T (at least what they are described as). I would like a real world unbiased review and maybe where I can try/buy the darn things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftless89 View Post
    Pearl Izumi X Project Shoes, anyone find these for sale yet? The way they are designed fits the riding in Thailand to a T (at least what they are described as). I would like a real world unbiased review and maybe where I can try/buy the darn things
    Been looking for those my self. So far I have not been able to locate . they do not show up on the PI website either
    guess that we will have to wait a bit
    kompressor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Been looking for those my self. So far I have not been able to locate . they do not show up on the PI website either
    guess that we will have to wait a bit
    Heard from PI that the shoes should be available around March
    kompressor

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Heard from PI that the shoes should be available around March
    Just put a reminder in my calendar for March. My sidi's have some life left, they are just not good for Hike-a-bike sections

Fat & Single
    Any news on these shoes..... been hanging since October for these, still no sign or mention on their website.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It is odd, there has been no talk on their website. They are listed in all the newest catalogs but not available yet. Keep in contact with your LBS I bet they will be able to hook you up before anyone else.

Fat & Single
    Theres a load of vids and BIG release reports on numerous websites, flashing lights, glossy pics and bum patting about them at the last quarter of 2012 then nothing at all !!!

A bit dissappointing for us running about in our sock soles waiting on them.... Pearl Izumi do you know how painful it is to ride eggbeaters with no shoes

..... a wee bit of exaggeration there, riding 6 month old Dragon 3's but might as well be in my socks with the sole wear on them, pure crap.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My LBS told me the other day they went back to the drawing board. Something about problems with the carbon....

Fat & Single
    Cheers Tex, would be nice of them to tell us. Oh well, been hanging long enough, will go look at some others.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yes ozzy, i will still be waitin to see these too, in the meantime i just ebayed a set of X-alp endura III's to try. just waiting on arrival

Fat & Single
    I have emailled Pearl Izumi, i'll give it a couple of days then im looking for something else.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

I <3 dirt

Subscribing. I want new shoes and couldn't find any release date for these.

Dude, got any schwag?
    I was expecting to see them on display next month at Sea Otter, but after reading this I will lower my expectations.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

I <3 dirt

They had them at interbike

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I have emailled Pearl Izumi, i'll give it a couple of days then im looking for something else.
    Ok Pearl Izumi customer service got back to me saying "If all goes smoothly, we're hoping to have the first batch in late May"
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    They had them at interbike

and did you get to try them on? and are they going to be available?

I <3 dirt

and did you get to try them on? and are they going to be available?
    I didn't go but a friend did and he tried them on. He said they felt great but no release date. See what ozzybmx said.

Fat & Single
    Im a massive LAKE shoe rider, ive currently got MX330c in white and in Black and MX236 in white, i went SIDI's as LAKE were going under but they are back on board, i might sack waiting on the PI X-Projects and get the new MX331's in red..... decisions, decisions....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pearl Izumi X Project Shoes-mx331-1024x775.jpg  

Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Short-Change-Hero
    I just talked to my local PI store and the girls there were great (as always). Said that the 1.0 should be released in late May with the 2.0 and 3.0 following in early July. That was the best she could come up with but had quite a few people that had been interested in them. For the time being my X-Alps will have to do and I will just deal with the failing velcro until then.

Got a suspension fork
    PI told me today via email that the X-Project shoes should be out in June.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Too much of a delay. I was holding off as long as I could, but my shoes were falling apart. Had to pull the trigger on some new Shimanos.

I <3 dirt

Same here. I really wanted these but couldn't hold off any longer for shoes. Ended up with giro gauges and I'm happy.

But for my next pair.....I'll certainly check these out.

Fat & Single
    Yep me too, I bought the MX331 Lakes.

IMO Pearl Izumi have done a bit of a marketing balls up with these, they blew the wind up them nearly a year ago... got us all interested and everyone was hanging out for them.... then nothing !!!

May, maybe June but still no mention of them on the PI website, actually their website is another thing lacking in what is a company that produces top notch cycling products.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Short-Change-Hero
    Yep me too, I bought the MX331 Lakes.

IMO Pearl Izumi have done a bit of a marketing balls up with these, they blew the wind up them nearly a year ago... got us all interested and everyone was hanging out for them.... then nothing !!!

May, maybe June but still no mention of them on the PI website, actually their website is another thing lacking in what is a company that produces top notch cycling products.
    Would you have rather had them have delays and deliver a high quality product or just shove something out to meet their "proverbial" release date? Personally I would rather have the prior than the later, but I am not in your situations where my shoes are falling apart (though my velcro will be done after this season). June I am stoked to see these and grab a pair.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Would you have rather had them have delays and deliver a high quality product or just shove something out to meet their "proverbial" release date?
    I dont really care anymore either way. The original release was blown out long ago... hopefully they come good on the June release date.

I have a few pair of shoes, definately not riding about in rags. The walkability of these appealed to me but so did the new lakes and the delay has sent me else where.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

I <3 dirt

Agreed 100%. They've already missed their original deadline and now its just open ended essentially till PI announces they're coming out on X day.

They look and sound awesome but I moved on. It's silly to debut a new product in the middle of summer.

Short-Change-Hero
    See and for me the walkability is what is appealing as well. Seeing as I use my shoes for both commuting, road riding and mtbing I need something that is versatile. With a Pearl Izumi store less then 30 minutes away I think I can wait. Unfortunately, for me the most people have around here is Shimano, Louis Garneau, Specialized, and the normal varieties. Nothing has really appealed to me other than these. Love my X-Alps Drift but the velcro is about done so it is time to upgrade (or so I am telling the wife )

mtbr member
    May 2008
    still have fingers crossed about June. I bought the xalps on a good closeout deal (and pretty happy with them ) but still want to see these new shoes in person

Fat & Single
    still have fingers crossed about June.
    Ok Pearl Izumi customer service got back to me saying "If all goes smoothly, we're hoping to have the first batch in late May"
    3 days left of May, still no sign of them. Though strangely enough there is a pair on eBay.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    think I am going to have to give up hope on the white whale and go with some new Mavics......too bad as I was really looking forward to these shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Would you have rather had them have delays and deliver a high quality product or just shove something out to meet their "proverbial" release date? Personally I would rather have the prior than the later, but I am not in your situations where my shoes are falling apart (though my velcro will be done after this season). June I am stoked to see these and grab a pair.
    I think we all just want a clear message. I would be totally happy to wait if I knew that I heard from PI "Sorry there were some delays due to technical issues with this product. We are working to make sure that we deliver the best blah blah blah".

I have been riding the X Alp elites and the straps are nearing the end of their reach so I can't wait to get the top model X Project shoe.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nc05lsv View Post
    think I am going to have to give up hope on the white whale and go with some new Mavics......too bad as I was really looking forward to these shoes.
    Ishmael have you seen Ahab? no shoes yet/

mtbr member
    These things must have been shelved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ended up winning the pair on Ebay, FedEx says they'll be here tomorrow. I'll update after I get a ride on them this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    I ended up winning the pair on Ebay, FedEx says they'll be here tomorrow. I'll update after I get a ride on them this weekend.
    I bet they don't really exist. what you won was a picture of a CGI generated image.....

Good luck Hermes.... oh God of the winged shoes! Look forward to your review of something us mere mortals will never have

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I bet they don't really exist. what you won was a picture of a CGI generated image.....

Good luck Hermes.... oh God of the winged shoes! Look forward to your review of something us mere mortals will never have
    Like many of you, I've been following these shoes since they were first shown at Interbike. I was fine with the release date because my S-works shoes still had plenty of life, but in the last couple months the boa system has shown signs that it's nearing it's expiration date. I loved my S-works shoes for the last few years but my biggest gripe was wearing them off the bike, the sole has no flex whatsoever, so I'm looking forward to a little hike a bike to test the new shoes. I had originally planned to get the 2.0s but since I decided not to ride DH this year I'm saving a bunch of money so I thought I could splurge on new shoes, plus I got the 1.0s for the price of the 2.0s. I'll report back after a ride or two.

Fat & Single
    Ive been Boa on 4 pairs of running shoes, 1 pair of hiking boots and the last 4 pairs of bike shoes.... boa themselves will send you a rebuild kit free of charge. Awesome shoes with an even better customer service from the lace manufacturers.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ive been Boa on 4 pairs of running shoes, 1 pair of hiking boots and the last 4 pairs of bike shoes.... boa themselves will send you a rebuild kit free of charge. Awesome shoes with an even better customer service from the lace manufacturers.
    I contemplated getting a new boa system but the shoes themselves are also quite close to death, the sole is separating at the heal, and the toebox is quite beat up. I Ep'd them 4 years ago so I've gotten my moneys worth, plus I'm doing a lot longer exploratory rides these days so I'm looking forward to more comfortable hike-a-bike sections. Plus some of the rock/stream crossings in the S-works shoes are downright terrifying, they might as well be ice skates when crossing rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    I had originally planned to get the 2.0s but since I decided not to ride DH this year I'm saving a bunch of money so I thought I could splurge on new shoes, plus I got the 1.0s for the price of the 2.0s. I'll report back after a ride or two.
    How about a photo showing that you actually have the shoes? Are they promo models? I just did a search for the X Project shoes on Pearl Izumi's website and this note appeared in red: "X-Project will be available in 2014"

Guess it's time to order a different shoe.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by theranch View Post
    How about a photo showing that you actually have the shoes? Are they promo models? I just did a search for the X Project shoes on Pearl Izumi's website and this note appeared in red: "X-Project will be available in 2014"

There actually was pairs of them on eBay and they can only be demo models as they have never been released, I wouldn't worry to much on missing out as obviously they have failed in a big enough way to delay them again. They drummed up the excitement from Sept 2012 touting them as the next greatest thing and got us all interested for a few months then major fail !

A light stiff carbon shoe that is flexy to walk in.... sounds nearly too good to be true.... now obvious it was
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by theranch View Post

Pearl Izumi X Project Shoes-img_1436.jpgPearl Izumi X Project Shoes-img_1437.jpgPearl Izumi X Project Shoes-img_1438.jpgPearl Izumi X Project Shoes-img_1439.jpgPearl Izumi X Project Shoes-img_1440.jpg

They do in fact exist. I did a quick 15 mile ride in them yesterday and you can definitely feel the flex when off the bike but they still had great stiffness when pedaling. I got some of the same hot spots in my feet that I did with my last pair of shoes so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or need to get custom insoles. I did notice 1 drawback already, I was using almost all of the strap to get the shoes tight so halfway through my ride I adjusted the strap on one shoe moving further inward (there are 3 "slots" to hold the strap on the inside of the shoe) after I adjusted it on the right shoe I went to adjust it on the left shoe and one of the little clips is broken so I can't use the outermost "slot." I'm not sure if it arrived this way or if I broke it during the ride, kind of disappointing seeing as the whole mounting system is sewn into the shoe so it can't really be replaced. I'll have to get a little more time on the shoes to make a more concrete conclusion on the shoes. So far they're definitely better than my S-works at hike a bike and walking but we'll have to wait and see after a couple more rides.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well stopped at my local PI store on my way back from Ca yesterday and asked the guy at the registered. He said they had actually gotten an email from corporate that they have been shelved until Feb/March of 2014. No explanation as to why but he said he was pretty pissed as he really wanted a pair as well. So matt, considered yourself the owner of Unobtanium.

Dude, got any schwag?
    I'll bet they still haven't figured out their manufacturing processes. Co-curing plastic and carbon has to be the problem area. They made a bunch of shoes for the big presser (Matt's likely came from this batch), but I'm sure they didn't pass long term wear tests.

It reminds me of when Crank Bros tried to make an actual crank. New tech that never worked out... Could these shoes fall to the same fate?

If I was ANY other shoe manufacturer, I'd take the same design constraints, drop the co-cured outsole, and beat PI to market. (Are you listening Sidi?)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    I made an offer on the ones on ebay but after I asked if they were demo models with no warranty the seller never got back. I'm glad I didn't buy them as there most definitely has to be something inherently wrong with the design.

Nobody spends all that money on hype and demo's, keep pushing the release with hype, only to shelve them for another year, there is a problem. And I'd agree with a previous poster, likely an issue bonding the nifty flex outer to the carbon plate.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I knew I'd be taking a risk getting a model that hasn't been released to the public yet, but I got them at a good price (much less than I was going to pay for another pair of S-works) so if I get a year of riding out of them it'll be worth it. Who knows if they'll last that long, I'll report back after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    PI has a pretty good warranty. I would guess that these just weren't holding up to their strict standards. Example, i had a pair of X-Alp Enduro II's that were ~18 months old. The mesh above the pinky toe started to tear/pull away from the leather. They only had about 30-35 rides in them, but, it didn't matter to PI. They replaced them with a new pair of Enduro III's with no questions asked. This proved to me they really care about providing a quality product to the consumer.

I would rather them wait till they get them right. Although, thats easy for me to say. I just received a brand new pair of shoes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    have a pair coming to me....supposedly they are available and trek/PI are haveing some sort of computer issue at the factory....

Short-Change-Hero

Explain shawny? And pics or it didn't happen.

Fat & Single
    Computer issue ? I cant think of any computer issue that would stop them releasing shoes when they are managing to get other cycling clothing and shoes out the door.

The shoes I would guess will be made in China (where PI started) and these days what kind of "computer issue" delays a pair of shoes by 18months.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ok sorry guys for not getting back sooner....had a pair sent to me but they were too small...
    i was told by the rep that there was a problem with their computer system at trek/PI and also they redesigned the sole had issues with the rubber...the shoes looked awesome and definatley wait for the updated one to come out soon....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast