mtbr member

Pearl Izumi Barrier Pants Info

I am considering Pearl Izumi Select Barrier WXB Pants, or the Elite Barrier WXB Convertible Pants. For cold/wet weather commuting. I think I could get more use from the Convertible WXB's , my concern is at the leg zip. Any Pro's or Con's on either? And as for sizing, I wear 31X32 @150#. I just need to fit a base layer underneath. Their size chart shows that a Med would fit, I don't want the length to be short.

mtbr member
    Subscribed. I'm looking at the same pants.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    I just got the Elite Barrier WXB convertible pants. I read somewhere that the pants are not good in warm weather, becuase they don't breath. Not sure why, becuase there are zips on the side to allow for ventilation. Anyways, I wore them with my Pearl Izumi Pro Softshell Bib tights, earlier this afternoon. It was a short, casual ride and the temp was about 30F. It was a casual ride, since I was exercising my dog, so I didn't ride hard. My legs comfortably warm, but not toasty warm. I later rode another 3 miles without my dog. I rode a little harder, so my legs got warm. Again, these were with tights underneath the pants. Later in the afternoon, I had to walk my dog again, so I tried the PI Elite Barrier pants with shorts on. My legs were ok, but I did feel a little cold. I'm assuming the pant traps the heat that builds up, which is why they weren't that warm when I was doing a casual ride or even when I was walking.

So depending on how cold the temp is, you may want to use the pants over tights or maybe even leg warmers. I am picking up the PRO Barrier pants to see the difference between the two.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member

Pearl Izumi Barrier WXB Cycling Pants

I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Barrier WXB Cycling Pants several months ago for riding in the rain and I LOVE these pants! When the temp is between 40 and 55 I wear a pair of Pearl Izumi knickers underneath. The WXB pants are comfortable and have kept me dry on every ride. When the temperature is above 55 degrees I just wear my normal summer cycling shorts (without the WXB pants) and put DZ Nuts InHeat Embrocation Cream on my legs to keep them warm.

There is a review of the DZ Nuts InHeat cream at:

DZ Nuts InHeat Low Heat Embrocation Cream All Seasons Cyclist