richeyr
    May 2004

Passion for a cool (ventilated) helmet?

Looking for a new summer helmet. I ride XC and am wondering what are the coolest, best vented helmets on the market in the market of $150 or less. I have read a little on the Specialized S-1 and was also wondering if anyone has tested one.

Thanks
    Live Life or Watch it go by. I'd rather be living it!

PITY THE FOOL!
    I've been happy with my Giro E2. I use it for mtb and road riding (the visor pops on an off). Plenty of venilation and it's light.

I think the color plays a major factor as well. I had a black helmet before this one and it cooked my head on summer days. My E2 is white and much cooler.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Giro Xen

Awesome Brain bucket ...super comfy and you can find last years model for just under a hundred. cant remember where though, supergo, jenson, pricepoint, cbo, nashbar
    yeah it was one of those! Nice big vents to cool the noggin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    it was performance

they had it for $80

Horses and Bikes, Oh My!
    I love my Giro Atmos. You can find them on sale for about $150 from time to time.

Part-time rider

Giro Pneumo

It's super comfortable, and fits your budget. If you can find Atmos in your price range, I would go for that instead (bigger vents)

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

mtbr member

Xen!

I recently picked up a Xen and what a difference it makes on my big mellon. Nice and low-profile with a lot of vents as Brado mentioned....can't wait to try it out on the trails.

The Xen looks great, is extremely comfortable and it fits in your price range....make sure to check it out.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    E2, no doubt. I can look at my shadow and see right through my helmet, as the vents that go fore-aft have a nice wide channel for air to just go right through. It's the best helmet I've owned. The Xen seems nice, but it's a higher-protection helmet and i doubt the ventilation is as good as the E2. In fact I can tell by those head-on views that it doesn't have the huge air channels that the E2 does. Not that it would be horrible, but the E2 is a very popular helmet for a reason.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Chrome Toaster
    Actually the Zen is rather poor as far as ventilation goes. Its kind of like a ventilated version of a skate type helmet. The holes are big but not that big and they don't have any sort of airflow.
    For a well ventilated helmet the best choices are typically the highest end and most expensive models of any brand.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm still using a Giro Exodus from a few years past. Great ventilation, good fit, no problem in the high temps. I think most multi-vent helmets will do fairly well. In style or not, I still like using a visor to shade off the sun.

That's my name
    http://www.giro.com/main.html

Giro E2, comfy and well ventilated. Worth the money for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.derbyrims.com

Bell for rounder heads, Giro for pinheads

Quote Originally Posted by richeyr
    Looking for a new summer helmet. I ride XC and am wondering what are the coolest, best vented helmets on the market in the market of $150 or less. I have read a little on the Specialized S-1 and was also wondering if anyone has tested one.

Thanks
    Actually the Giro fits more oval (narrow) heads better.

This is good, I've been wonder what to replace my ancient and lead weighted Exodus with. Xen, E2, Animus, or Havoc. Or possibly the 661 Bravo XC (poor visor, unknown fit). Was thinking the Xen looked good, but airflow is really more important on those hot days. I can always wear a cap under to be warmer.

- ray

That's my name
    Then there is Met
    Met MTB helmets

Have an older Met too, cant remember what its called, always served me well.
    Probably a good idea to try on different brands before you buy, like the previous guy said they dont all fit the same way.

mtbr member
    Actually I just went to a Specialized clinic and they are coming out with whats called the decible helmet shortly(probly bout a month) has a new patented ventilation system, and non integrated mounting cage with carbon fiber stays, extremely light, cool looking and I think its only $150....

Reviewer/Tester

Giro Xen ... ??

What is the difference between the '04 and the '05 Xen...anyone know?

I see that the '04's are cheaper, but that doesn't concern me as much as having the best of the two.. if there are substantial improvements in the '05, i will go for it.

Thanks,

R.

TR
    Angry bunny
    E2 for me.
    Awesome ventilation.