mtbr member

Painting a Helmet

Anyone know what type of plastic most helmets are covered with? I want to do a custom pink and purple flame job on my daughter's new helmet...but I want the paint to STICK!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    PET just like pop bottles.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    And so the next logical question...and the one I should have asked in my initial post is...

What's the best type of paint to use for helmets (durability, adhesion, finish, etc.)?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

No pain, no pain.
    I've used House of Kolors enamels on a full face Giro with no problems before. Unless you've already got em, you probably want to go with water-based though - easier to clean, less chemicals, etc.

Mask off ALL the foam (this will probably be the biggest PITA.) You don't want to get any paint or clear on there, it'll just eat the foam away over time.

Sand/scuff the current finish with 400 grit, clean and degrease before painting so it'll stick well. You may want to get some adhesion promoter as well, depending on how flexy the helmet is.

Flame on!

Use several coats of clear - go heavy on the areas that are most likely to get hit with rocks or touch the ground.
    Funny photobomber pics at http://photobombers.com

www.derbyrims.com

Spray can acrylic

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    And so the next logical question...and the one I should have asked in my initial post is...

What's the best type of paint to use for helmets (durability, adhesion, finish, etc.)?
    I painted mine a couple year ago with acrylic spray can paint from the hardware store (blue) after doing a light sanding of the surface. Then added stripes with colored tape.

The soft foam material dissolves upon paint contact. So you need to tape-off all the exposed foam.

The tape-off is very tedious, but worth it for a unique look.

- ray

No pain, no pain.
    Flame on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sweet flamejob!

I've got a great airbrush (Aztek Double Action - I used to paint my own R/C Car bodies)...but my compressor is toast otherwise I'd give the R/C paint a try.

I'll be doing the good old rattle can job this time.

Have you heard of this stuff?
    http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details
    Supposedly bonds directly to most plastics...and I'm sure it would eat the heck out of the foam, so I'll be doing the tedious tape up that's for sure. It's going to be interesting laying down tape and flames on an XC helemet with so many ventilation holes. If it doesn't look too bad...I'll post pics...

No pain, no pain.
    Thanks. I think I used my Iwata HPC on that one (not enough detail to warrant using my Micron) Taping off all the foam is a big PITA, but it's well worth it - for both safety and looks.

I haven't used that krylon - it looks like it may be too thick to blow, kind of like a "re-plastic-ifier", but I don't know. If you're going to use it, be sure to do a test piece to see how it'll flow.

Post pics when you get it done!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Troy Lee markets helmet sticker kits. Usually sold @ motercycle/dirt blke shops. Not nearly as professional as kamikazeB's but not bad & a lot less work I would imagine. BTW, that really is a nice pro paint job, a work of art!