here today

Out of luck - helmets and product liability

So I thought it would be great to get a Met Parachute - great looking hemlet, great local reviews - its a light helmet with a chin guard. I also thought it might be cheaper in the USA -- gues what, it cannot be purchased and importing it is under your sole responsibility. I guess I'll be ordering it from the UK.

Liability has gone to such extremes that a small company building some great products seems right about 'not taking the risk' ... from their site:

Madam, Sir,

we have to inform you that MET S.p.A., producer of the MET helmets, have decided not to export their helmets to North-America (Canada and United States of America). As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident. This, sometimes, occurs regardless of the quality of the product, and the safety it actually provides. Moreover, judicial costs and attorney's fees are very burdensome in North America. It being confirmed that MET products are fully UE regulations, safety standards and state of the art compliant, MET S.p.A., as a family business, not run by an obscure international financial conglomerate but by people, individuals working together, side by side, each and every day, have decided to keep their products out of the North-American market, and to spend time, money and energy in product research and development, not lawyers and trails. Anyone who would violate MET S.p.A above decision, and would import Met helmet in North-America will be exclusively responsible for any legal consequence involving MET helmets. We thank you for your interest and for taking the time to contact us. We are confident that you will find a suitable helmet among the products available on your home market.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED (from TOL)
    That's interesting. I was actually looking at the same helmet about 6 months ago and was rather shocked that they did not market in North America. It seemed like a quality lid for the price too.

Let me know how you like it, maybe I'll order one as well.
    [SIZE=7]-[/SIZE]
    speed shatters lives

here today
    Finally ordered & received mine. First impression is that this is a solid and not too heavy XC helmet, great (or silly) looking, comfy but NOT a DH/FR helmet. I consider it a learner's helmet - if you are mostly doing XC but are working on learning to handle babyheads, stairs, wild j-hops etc.. this will give you some confidence. Did I say light? Vented? Yep, but a good bang will rip it off your head... Here is a 'rule' ... if you need more armor on a ride than shin guards use a different full face... Going to use it fully on a 4-day trip in about two weeks, then I'll give some more 'noise' ...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmonkey
    Finally ordered & received mine. First impression is that this is a solid and not too heavy XC helmet, great (or silly) looking, comfy but NOT a DH/FR helmet. I consider it a learner's helmet - if you are mostly doing XC but are working on learning to handle babyheads, stairs, wild j-hops etc.. this will give you some confidence. Did I say light? Vented? Yep, but a good bang will rip it off your head... Here is a 'rule' ... if you need more armor on a ride than shin guards use a different full face... Going to use it fully on a 4-day trip in about two weeks, then I'll give some more 'noise' ...
    My rule is this:

If it can't save your teeth from a full frontal smack down, then why are you wearing it?

I landed head first in the middle of a dh run - on the side of my jaw - a little over a month ago - while wearing a Vigor Vamoose. Other than a good headache and some bruising, escape unscathed.

I just got a crash replacement for $80. Better than stitches!

Rat Fink
    Remember, if you get hurt, even if it's because you're profoundly stupid, somebody else HAS to pay.

And the lawyers get 1/2.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

here today
    Depends on the type of riding & speed - do you need a FF helmet and body armor for XC?
    This helmet will most likely work on a full frontal but is NOT a FR helmet...

Tell you what - if I test it and make it I'll let you know