mtbr member

OT: Kayak helmet opinions

Yes I know there are paddling boards but I know a lot of mountain bikers are kayakers too. I'm just getting into kayaking and am looking for opinions on different helmets. The fact that there is no American safety standard makes it a little harder to compare different types. I'm not too interested in the Pro-Tec models, just seem to fragile. I've seen some nice looking helmets from Grateful Heads and Shred Ready but am looking for advice from those who have actually used some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Smile helmets

You can't go wrong with Greatful heads, I have have the "Bird" model for a few seasons and am pretty happy with it. I have even taken a pretty big hit with it and it did it's job. Stay away from pro tec or any plastic helmet for that matter. They don't displace impacts over the area of the helmet. Seen somone take a hit with a protec and still get cut through the helmet. Check of NFA helmets as well.
    cheers
    Nick

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had good luck w/ my Shred Ready Sherlock, but as I'm getting into more creeking I'm longing for more coverage (ears, face). Depends what you're running. I think most of the major brands that make composites are solid, but of course fit is key. You might also check out the helmet they're talking about in this thread:

http://mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=6405

Good luck. Hope you know what you're getting into. Before you know it you'll be selling your bike, wife, kids, anything for your next whitewater fix....

Gittyup!
    I agree w/ both of the above. Pony up and spend the bucks for a composite helmet. If you plan to do any creekin', something w/ good ear/temple coverage is a must. I personally like the cats over at Shred Ready. Good little company... helmets built by paddlers for paddlers. I'm sure Grateful Heads is comparable though.

A great resource for anything regarding ww kayaking is www.boatertalk.com . It's the mtbr of the paddling world. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC
    I've had good luck w/ my Shred Ready Sherlock, but as I'm getting into more creeking I'm longing for more coverage (ears, face). Depends what you're running. I think most of the major brands that make composites are solid, but of course fit is key. You might also check out the helmet they're talking about in this thread:

http://mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=6405

Good luck. Hope you know what you're getting into. Before you know it you'll be selling your bike, wife, kids, anything for your next whitewater fix....

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, the other posters pretty much nailed it - SR and GH make great stuff. Good job on ignoring the pro-tec. Another company that makes great helmets is FNA - http://www.fnaheadgear.com/ - they make a really nice full face for creeking. Sweet makes a great playboating helmet, the strutter - www.sweetprotection.com - kind of expensive though.

Zak

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I have an FNA Xtra....

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Yeah, the other posters pretty much nailed it - SR and GH make great stuff. Good job on ignoring the pro-tec. Another company that makes great helmets is FNA - http://www.fnaheadgear.com/ - they make a really nice full face for creeking. Sweet makes a great playboating helmet, the strutter - www.sweetprotection.com - kind of expensive though.

Zak
    ....and I love it. I tried most of the SR & GH stuff but they just looked stupid on me or didn't fit properly. The FNA fit the bill perfectly. I suggest you try different helmet brands and models to see which one fits you the best. You can customize the fit with the included fit kits, but in my case, some wouldn't fit regardless of the fit kits.

BTW, I used a Pro-Tec for years before the composite helmets came on the scene and it worked great. I took some massive hits to that Pro-Tec and it never failed me (I still have it). We didn't realize how ridiculous we looked in them though until the composites came along.

Also, I always recommend temple protection at a bare minimum or full-face for creeking. I don't like the lack of protection on most helmets today which is purely a vanity feature. I've known too many cases where that lack of protection has had dire consequences. Go for protection over looks.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. After browsing websites the shred ready helmets caught my eye. I like the looks of the helmets as well as the behind the head retention device. I'll see what I can check out in the shops (not much in Albuquerque but should be some in Durango). I know from all my various bike helmets that fit is key and I've found a lot of bike helmets just don't fit right. I'll definitely go for a good coverage helmet--I figure I don't have to worry about style too much since I'll look like a dork paddling. But at least I'll be having fun!