mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Osprey Raptor Sizing

Hi,
    Has anyone had any experience with the Osprey Raptor? I can get the S/M at a good price online. At 5'11" w I am on the cusp for sizes. I tried a M/L and think I would prefer the shorter size. I am concerned about the waist strap. The Osprey site states that the S/M is for people with waist sizes less than 32. I have a 32ish waist, but the pack would be able to handle multiple layers in the winter. Can anyone with a S/M Raptor please comment?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'7", 32 waist and have a s/m Raptor 14. I wish I'd have gotten the large because the small doesn't sit on my back right. The bottom of the pack bows out due to the bladder and the front strap sits high. The waist strap length is not a problem...seems like it could fit 40+.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Although It's not a raptor I do have an Osprey Manta which is also a hydration pack. It is used for hiking as well. I was fitted at REI. I am 5'9" and a M/L is what I went with. I believe if you go tho REI's site there is a tutorial on sizing. Nice packs. I have 2 Ospreys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm 5'9" and got the larger size. didn't like the feel of the smaller one. nice pack though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for your replies, it sounds like I should hold out for the M/L. Anyone tried MTB with the Manta 20? It is also a nice pack, but seems too big for normal MTB duty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The manta really isn't that big, especially for a hydration/daypack. It's about the same size/form factor as the HAWG.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wschruba is right. I don't find it the least bit bulky. I have a Manta 30 that I primarily use for hiking. It's a good size and it's skinnier than most packs with the equivalent capacity. It carries extremely well. The only reason I have not used it for riding is that I have not gone out for a longer ride yet (4+ hours). I feel the Manta 20 will cinch down nice and leave you extra room if you should want to use it for something else other than biking or carry your layers. For short trips I have been using the Osprey Daylite. I had it before I started biking again. It works but I am finding it tough to stuff my layers in it so I will be using the Manta more in the future. Tomorrow I am thinking of taking a ride with a hike in the middle. I will use my Manta 30 for that. When I bought the 30 my thought was better to have too much room than not enough. I was glad I went with more space

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Height is not as important as the determining factor as your torso size. There is a video that shows you how to easily measure your torso size on the Osprey site (can't post links yet) under the Pack Tech-Tech Videos tab.

Once you know your torso size you can choose the pack size:

Torso Length Hip Measurement Pack Size
    > 19" / 48.5cm > 32" / 81cm M/L
    < 19" / 48.5cm < 32" / 81cm S/M

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks everyone. You saved me from a purchase that I would end up being disappointed in.