Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Osprey Raptor 6 VS Raptor 10, maybe Camelbak M.U.L.E

16K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PissedOffCil 
#1 ·
Hello

I have a hard time and determine what hydration bag need, I've looked at these third
Osprey Raptor 6
Osprey Raptor 10
Camelbak M.U.L.E

I know 2 of them are more or less identical, but I want a bag that can contain the things I need to but still not too large.

This is what I need with me.
1 x 26" hose (Perhaps 2 for long trips)
1 x CO2 pump (Perhaps an ordinary compact pump)
1 x MultiTool
2 x tire tool

For longer trips, I would like to have the opportunity to bring some food and a place and have a thin sweater in.

I want a bag that can contain these things and im pretty sure Raptor 10 and MULE can, but do not know if it becomes too loose when I have only small things with me.

Some have experience with these bags? Perhaps someone will share a few pictures with bags packed with something similar to my needs.

If there is room in the Raptor 6 to these things, it's great because the bag is very compact, it appeals to me.

Sorry my bad English.

Regards Henrik Jensen - Denmark

See less See more
#3 ·
I can comment on the raptors. I got a raptor 6 but it really wasn't enough cargo room to really hold much with the bladder full. I managed to get a multi tool, some zip ties and some energy bars in and struggled to get my gloves in. But I liked how light it was which was mainly due to the fact that it had a 2 liter bladder as opposed to my old 3 liter camelbak.

I returned the 6 and got the 10 which is much better and for what you are wanting to pack. But the raptor 10 comes with a 3 liter bladder so I bought an extra 2 liter bladder that I use most of the time and then use the 3 on the long rides. The 10 has an extra pocket vertically on the outside compared to the 6 which makes a substantial difference in organizing and is very convenient.

So far I like the raptor bladders better than the camelbaks. They are more flat when full compared to the barreling of the camelback. And the handle on the bladder is a nice change.

The raptors have sleeves internally for a pump and tube too.

The mule has a lot of good storage too and you will probably find one cheaper. You can't go wrong with a mule but if you like some of the fancier features go with the raptor 10.

#6 ·
I am no longer a big fan of Camelbak. I rode with a MULE for years. I got it because of its cargo space - I also wanted a pack that would compress when not loaded but had plenty of room for snacks and layers on longer rides. Because of the the barreling of Camelbak's bladder I could not fit much of anything in the main cargo compartment when the bladder was full.
I recently bought an Osprey Zealoth 16 and so far love it. Though I haven't had the chance to take it on a ride yet I have been able to fit a great deal of gear in it with the bladder full. It's a far amount larger than the packs you're looking at, but sits comfortably on my back and the bag is designed with a great attention to detail, something I noticed in all the Osprey packs I considered.
Personally I'd go with the Raptor 10. Osprey makes a good product.
-Mike R

#7 ·
I'm using the Viper 10 and I love it. I used to use CamelBak products like the MULE and the LOBO, but they really fall short compared to Osprey. The Osprey packs have cooler back panels and more comfortable suspension. I also really like the magnet that keeps my bite valve on my shoulder strap.

#8 ·
I was passing a store today where I could get Raptor 10 and Mule in the hands.

The quality and detali of the Raptor feels just better, so it's the one I ordered.

However, it seems like it takes up more space on your back than the MULE, but it seems more flat. I dont hope it will be a problem.

I have used an Osprey Quantum 30 as my day-pack for a year and are really pleased with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.