Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Osprey

Rides the Desert

Osprey

Id like to make a dedicated thread to Osprey's hydration packs, since theyre so awesome. I know quite a bit about the brand, so if anyone has questions, come here to ask and get other opinions as well! Also, feel free to post pics of your osprey, which one it is, and even a list of all the stuff you throw in it

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just bought a Raptor 10 on the advice of the LBS. It looks like it has alot of room and I really like the stiff bladder. Really don't know what all I am going to put in it yet, right now is tool, pump, some food.

Rides the Desert
    I have a raptor 10. I carry a bike multitool,tube, patch kit, enegy gel, powerbar, small lock, niterider light, duct tape, small leatherman tool, and a lighter. Pump is strapped to my frame. I got the raptor for $55 on closeout from REI, and the clearance price was the reason I got it. One thing I noticed is that the backpanel is kind of abrasive. Have you noticed this? Not a big deal, its still very comfortable but I like the Viper series better I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have been planning to upgrade my hydration pack for some time now and have been looking into many brands, models, and features that I think are important. There are many things that I like about the Osprey packs, but there are somethings that I like about the Camelbaks too. I have been looking at the Raptor for sometime, but they recently released the Escapist which I think may be more what I'm looking for. My question is about their bladders. It seems like there are mixed reviews about them around the internet. Amazon for example has many one star reviews dealing with the difficulty of use or leaking issues. That seems very confusing. Are people complaining about an older version or something? Its seems like they are much heavier too.

Rides the Desert
    Jiff24-
    I havent had any problems with the osprey bladders. Its easier to open than camelbacks, I havent had the bite valve leak at all, and Its not heavy at all either. The rigidity is really nice, that combined with the hydrolock system keep the bladder in place really well and is very comfortable. When I read escapist I was like "You like that one? Really?" But after looking on Ospreys site I found that the escapist looks amazing. Are you looking at the 20 or 30? Also check out the Manta for a more bike specific pack but the escapist looks really nice. There is a profound difference between something like a Viper or Raptor and something like the Manta or Escapist. Really consider which type you want. A large all day or capable overnight pack or a smaller lighter pack for nothing more than about 6ish hours. Either way, I would reccomend Osprey over Camelbak erryday

Also, I dont believe the escapist comes with a reservoir and it does not have the hydrolock system. It says it has a hydration pocket but that it is "external." Doesnt seem to be a dedicated hydro pack, might wanna look into that. Try them on if you can, and give the Manta a good look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the reply ltk1144. Well that is good to hear that the bladder hasn't given you any issues. I have the older Camelbak bladder myself and the lid is a pain to deal with as is the bladder falling down in a bunch when not full. Both reasons contribute to my motivation to find a new pack. I have an old Cloudwalker that is about 20 liters now. It is plenty for most my riding, typically less than a day. However, I have been looking for something more substantial for winter riding and also bike packing trips. That is one of the things that appealed to me about the Escapist 30. In an ideal world I will eventually have both something like a Raptor 10 or 14 for the little day rides and such, and also something like the Escapist 30 for winter and bike packing etc. I have looked at the Manta as well, but I like the bike specific features of the Escapist series. More organization spaces for tools etc. It is categorized as a bike specific pack on Ospreys site. One thing that bothers me about it thought is that it doesn't come with a bladder. So that adds another $30 to the already $130 pack. That is a lot! Also I don't think the Escapist has the hydrolock system either like the Raptor and other hydraulic specific packs. I realize that they are very different packs, and that I probably won't be able to find a "one size fits all" type of pack for all the activities I want to do. I guess if I got the raptor first to try it out, and liked it, I could then get the Escapist later and just switch the bladder between them. I was thinking though that I should get the bigger pack first in case it wasn't everything I hoped it would be, that I would still have the pack that could meet both needs. What is it about the Viper that makes you prefer it? You said that you use a Raptor 10 now, and it seems like you put a good amount of stuff in it. I assume it would handle a lunch and rain/wind jacket etc in addition to the items you mentioned? There is no where around me that I could go to look at these packs in person less than a couple hours drive, so I pretty much have to make the decision based on whatever information I can glean from the internet. I am trying to see if I should be leaning more toward the 10 or the 14 and also now between the Raptor and the Viper. I hadn't been considering the Viper previously. The Raptor seems better looking to me, but function and comfort are more important to me.

Rides the Desert
    I would like to have a Viper because the backpanel seems a little less ventilated but a little more padded and softer. I also dont like the side pocket on my raptor, and I like that the viper 10 has a shoulder pocket instead of my raptor's hipbelt pockets. The hipbelt pockets would be fine but to be able to put my phone in there instead of my shorts pocket I would like to have a zipper. The shoulder pocket on the Viper has no zipper, but I wouldnt worry about my phone coming out of it.

Personally I would choose the Manta over the Escapist because the Hydrolock in combination with the bladder is amazingly comfortable and easy to insert the bladder with a fully stuffed pack. I also like the backpanel on the manta better than the escapist. What bike-specific features are you seeing on the Escapist that arent on the Manta? Manta has hydrolock which is good.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of getting a Viper 7 because I like the bungee straps on the outside for carrying a windbreaker or extra layer of clothing.

I don't know what's the difference between the Viper and Raptor series. If I decide on the Viper 7 should I get the black, blue or yellow color?

mtbr member
    +1 on the Osprey love
    I ride my bike to work every day on real mountain bike trails, and do epics on the weekend.....lotsa hours in the saddle in hot brushy rough conditions.... and I've been using a Raptor 18 for about a year and a half. Osprey raised the bar significantly with these packs. After multiple camalbak (good), Dakine (terrible), and Northface (really good) hydration packs, I can say in all seriousness that the Osprey packs are revolutionary in terms of a secure fit, comfort, no movement, and load support. The bladder is awesome.... most funk resistant of any I've used, bite valve is the best (high flow, reversible, open/closes with ease, magnetic keeper is really nice), and no other pack allows for such easy bladder fill ups and replacement with a packed bag. Storage layout, features like the lid lock, the fact that they come in two sizes per model are great, but it's the good ole fashion fit and load support that only a real backpack company could create that make it untouchable. With a light load on a hard fast ride I can cinch all the straps down and it's like wearing a much smaller pack, but at the end of the week I can add a day or two worth of dirty clothes and tupperware in with the usual bike tools, tube, pump, light, snacks, and water.....and it just swallows it all and never get uncomfortable.

Customer support is awesome too. I did have a problem with a bite valve after a year... filled out their web form, they sent me a whole new bladder on the spot, gratis.

Downsides:

Riding as much as I do in a hot climate, it gets funky smelling, as all my past bags have. The downside is just that all the support comes at a cost, and you need to remove the 2 back panel pieces to give it a good cleaning.... just a little extra step.

The elastic bands on the shoulder straps that keep the H2O hose in place started coming unraveled after about a year. I just got an RMA # from their site to send it in for repair, so verdict's still out on that, but I expect they'll handle it like champs.

I had an REI rebate and thought maybe I'll look at a new bag since the Osprey needs repair and it smells like roadkill, but still nobody else has come close to these bags.

The Manta's really look awesome for hot weather riding and the option of going even bigger than the raptor 18... they don't use the interior space quite as efficiently, but in my climate having the bag basically suspended above your back rather than laying on it is pretty cool... pun intended.

Rides the Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Viper 7 because I like the bungee straps on the outside for carrying a windbreaker or extra layer of clothing.

I don't know what's the difference between the Viper and Raptor series. If I decide on the Viper 7 should I get the black, blue or yellow color?
    In the smaller packs there is actually not to much of a difference. Raptor has a stretch pocket that will keep things more secure but will not hold as much as the bungees on the Viper. The pockets are esentially the same-both have a large one with the same organization and a no-scratch top pocket. Also the Viper has a shoulder strap pocket but the Raptor has hipbelt pockets. Viper hipbelts are removable, and Raptor hipbelts look a little more comfortable and dont detatch but can be folded back and clipped out of the way. I like all the colors and kind of like the yellow actually, but some people consider it "puky", so your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    +1 on the Osprey love
    I ride my bike to work every day on real mountain bike trails, and do epics on the weekend.....lotsa hours in the saddle in hot brushy rough conditions.... and I've been using a Raptor 18 for about a year and a half. Osprey raised the bar significantly with these packs. After multiple camalbak (good), Dakine (terrible), and Northface (really good) hydration packs, I can say in all seriousness that the Osprey packs are revolutionary in terms of a secure fit, comfort, no movement, and load support. The bladder is awesome.... most funk resistant of any I've used, bite valve is the best (high flow, reversible, open/closes with ease, magnetic keeper is really nice), and no other pack allows for such easy bladder fill ups and replacement with a packed bag. Storage layout, features like the lid lock, the fact that they come in two sizes per model are great, but it's the good ole fashion fit and load support that only a real backpack company could create that make it untouchable. With a light load on a hard fast ride I can cinch all the straps down and it's like wearing a much smaller pack, but at the end of the week I can add a day or two worth of dirty clothes and tupperware in with the usual bike tools, tube, pump, light, snacks, and water.....and it just swallows it all and never get uncomfortable.

Customer support is awesome too. I did have a problem with a bite valve after a year... filled out their web form, they sent me a whole new bladder on the spot, gratis.

Downsides:

Riding as much as I do in a hot climate, it gets funky smelling, as all my past bags have. The downside is just that all the support comes at a cost, and you need to remove the 2 back panel pieces to give it a good cleaning.... just a little extra step.

The elastic bands on the shoulder straps that keep the H2O hose in place started coming unraveled after about a year. I just got an RMA # from their site to send it in for repair, so verdict's still out on that, but I expect they'll handle it like champs.

I had an REI rebate and thought maybe I'll look at a new bag since the Osprey needs repair and it smells like roadkill, but still nobody else has come close to these bags.

The Manta's really look awesome for hot weather riding and the option of going even bigger than the raptor 18... they don't use the interior space quite as efficiently, but in my climate having the bag basically suspended above your back rather than laying on it is pretty cool... pun intended.
    Yea, most of the downsides you mentioned are pretty real, but Osprey takes care of them well. Ive never washed my hydro packs though, and I ride in Phoenix but never had a problem with smell, maybe thats because of the dry climate. I look at problems such as bite valve shoulder straps etc. as an excuse to get a new pack! I know what you mean about that Airspeed sunpension(im familiar with all their terms) thats featured on the Manta and the new Syncro. Aggreed, no one else comes close to Osprey with features and comfort

banned
    Nov 2011
    Osprey makes kick ass packs. I still prefer Camelbak for hydration packs though. No other hydration pack can beat them in ruggedness and reliability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Manta 25 for hiking/biking
    Kestrel 48 for backpacking

Great products!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Osprey makes kick ass packs. I still prefer Camelbak for hydration packs though. No other hydration pack can beat them in ruggedness and reliability.
    That hasn't really been my experience. The weight and texture of the fabrics used make the Camelbaks seem like they would be more durable, Osprey's less so, but a "backpack" guy at the shop where I bought my Raptor (after looking hard at the HAWG NV, which is a cool pack too, I admit) said "Don't be fooled...Osprey's been doing this for decades and I would expect it to actually hold up better even though it seems lighter"... I thought "Well, OK, hmmm" and decided to give it a try based on the fit and stability, but as it turns out my experience on the trail has matched that guy's durability claim. My main riding buddy had a HAWG (pre-NV) that just started getting holes where contents rubbed over time and wore through the material.... no such thing on either of our Raptors...... I've had better long term experience with Osprey's bladders too.
    Loose & frayed hose keeper straps notwithstanding (and that's really just cosmetic...no effect on performance), the Ospreys have held up better for me and others in my crew who've used both. Even if mine did wear out and have to be replaced sooner, the vastly superior fit, stability, and bladder scheme would be worth it to me..... IMHO
    Not hating on Camelbak... they make good stuff, and are the originator of the industry...kudos to them... I'd happily own one again...in a world with no Osprey.

mtbr member
    I just bought an Osprey Viper 7 yesterday! Thunder Cloud color. Can't wait for it to arrive. From the research I've done, the Osprey bladder alone is reason enough to choose Osprey over Camelbak. Ignoring all the great features their bags have over Camelbak.
    MountainBike Action magazine did a great write up on the Viper 7 - gave it 5/5 stars. They loved it.
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/quikcolin

mtbr member

hawg nv originally but got an osprey viper 10

osprey viper 10 here and i have no complaints so far it is easy to fill easy to carry and holds what i need and could hold some more if needed. i actually am thinking of selling my hawg nv to buy a bigger osprey pack for longer trips because i feel they are more comfortable and handle the water placement better.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Rides the Desert
    Not hating on Camelbak... they make good stuff, and are the originator of the industry...kudos to them... I'd happily own one again...in a world with no Osprey.
    Well said, Ive had 4 Camelbaks and they are second only to Osprey, but I think not really a close second, Osprey is so amazing and far ahead. Great durability too!
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    I just bought an Osprey Viper 7 yesterday! Thunder Cloud color. Can't wait for it to arrive. From the research I've done, the Osprey bladder alone is reason enough to choose Osprey over Camelbak. Ignoring all the great features their bags have over Camelbak.
    MountainBike Action magazine did a great write up on the Viper 7 - gave it 5/5 stars. They loved it.
    There you go thatdrewguy, I aggree with everything this guy said. If the Viper 7 is the size you are looking for I dont think it can be beat by any others!
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05 View Post
    osprey viper 10 here and i have no complaints so far it is easy to fill easy to carry and holds what i need and could hold some more if needed. i actually am thinking of selling my hawg nv to buy a bigger osprey pack for longer trips because i feel they are more comfortable and handle the water placement better.
    Good idea. I have 3 Camelbaks still that id like to sell off and get money for some sort of Osprey. If you want a big replacement for your HAWG, check out Talon 22, Manta, and Escapist. Be warned though, the Escapist is a little more bike-specific than the Manta but is not intended as a Hydro pack. It has a compartment for a bladder, but its not the Hydrolock that makes Osprey popular and also doesnt have the magnet thing. Talon 22 might be the best if you like any of the colors. Manta has great suspension but lacks the tool-specific pockets that the Talon has and does not have Lidlock.

mtbr member
    I went and checked out the Viper 7 & 10 today. Without the weight of any water the 10 felt about the same size as the 7, at least I couldn't tell the difference. It comes down to the outer pocket on the 10 & 3-liter bladder vs the bungee cords and 2-liter capacity of the 7. I think I'm going with the 7 in puke yellow since I still want a pack with the bungee.

edit:
    I ordered the Viper 7 from o2gearshop for $58.46 with free shipping. They sell the Viper 7 for $79 as well on that site. The difference is code S11 = Spring2011 and S12 = Spring2012. I called Osprey and asked if there were changes between S11 and S12 and the person said no difference at all and no reason not to buy last seasons pack at the discounted price.
    Last edited by thatdrewguy; 04-16-2012 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Good choice!!
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/quikcolin

banned
    Nov 2011
    That hasn't really been my experience. The weight and texture of the fabrics used make the Camelbaks seem like they would be more durable, Osprey's less so, but a "backpack" guy at the shop where I bought my Raptor (after looking hard at the HAWG NV, which is a cool pack too, I admit) said "Don't be fooled...Osprey's been doing this for decades and I would expect it to actually hold up better even though it seems lighter"... I thought "Well, OK, hmmm" and decided to give it a try based on the fit and stability, but as it turns out my experience on the trail has matched that guy's durability claim. My main riding buddy had a HAWG (pre-NV) that just started getting holes where contents rubbed over time and wore through the material.... no such thing on either of our Raptors...... I've had better long term experience with Osprey's bladders too.
    Loose & frayed hose keeper straps notwithstanding (and that's really just cosmetic...no effect on performance), the Ospreys have held up better for me and others in my crew who've used both. Even if mine did wear out and have to be replaced sooner, the vastly superior fit, stability, and bladder scheme would be worth it to me..... IMHO
    Really? I've been buying Camelbak products ever since they came out with the first hydration pack. (Which I still use from time to time) I have several Camelbak products have used the hell out of them in the most extreme conditions and they still keep going strong. No rips, tears, or fraying.

Rides the Desert
    Really? I've been buying Camelbak products ever since they came out with the first hydration pack. (Which I still use from time to time) I have several Camelbak products have used the hell out of them in the most extreme conditions and they still keep going strong. No rips, tears, or fraying.
    Yea, Ive never had tears on any of my Camelbaks. But I dont think Ospreys are any worse. As the bacon guy mentioned even though the fabric on my Raptor has a wierd texture compared to Camelbak, I dont think it is any less durable. Maybe ill have to do some research on nylon fabrics now...

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ltk1144 View Post
    But I dont think Ospreys are any worse.
    Absolutely not. Osprey makes incredible packs. I have one of their big packs for extreme backpacking and it is tough as nails and lightweight.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread with which is better. I love Osprey for regular backpacks, but I when it comes to hydration packs Camelbak is the original and only way to go in my opinion.

Rides the Desert
    Absolutely not. Osprey makes incredible packs. I have one of their big packs for extreme backpacking and it is tough as nails and lightweight.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread with which is better. I love Osprey for regular backpacks, but I when it comes to hydration packs Camelbak is the original and only way to go in my opinion.
    To each his own. And funny signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been using my raptor10 for 5 months now and I really like this pack. Swallows everything I want it to and holds more water than I will need for my rides. I found the osprey packs to fit me much better than camelbacks offerings. It's so stable when I'm riding or hiking that I sometimes forget I have a backpack on.

mtbr member
    There is something off with the bladder on my Raptor 10. Used it 3 times with no issues, but today I came out of my house with the pack on my back, and my pants were soaked. Was confused but going to work so just threw it all in my car. After work went for my ride, and the bag was soaked on the bottom, I threw the pack on and started climbing and felt drip drip drip down my back. Pulled out the bladder and yup it was just dripping along the seems on the bottom of the pack. Oddly, flipped the pack around and it dripped from the fill hole too. I noticed a cheap plastic ring around the fill hole that was loose but put that back in; however, dripping continuous the whole ride. Now here's the kicker...get home, pissed off, and filled up the pack again to test...no drips. wtf?!

3 of my camelbacks never leaked from the fill hole, and definitely never never never from the bladder. My pants were soaked and I doubt a pack is this tricky to set up unless I'm very confused. Will keep an eye on this overnight and see what happens

mtbr member
    mine did this once also it was the hard plastic ring around the bladder opening itself that holds the lid so you dont lose it. it had just worked its way up on the threads of the bladder opening so it would not seal completely i just pushed it back down so it was below the threads on the bladder opening and have not had any problems since.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast