mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Options for 45-60 F (8-15C)

Hi All, I have been commuting to work (90% trails) for about 6 months now, in Israel, and have got my summer clothes sorted but am struggling with the cooler weather. In the mornings it can be cold around 8-9C but once I am warmed up I get too sweaty in atop and softshell. Before I buy something else I wanted to see how you deal with this, should I go for arm warmers or a windproof long sleeve? Any other alternatives that work well.

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by Malachi; 01-28-2014 at 04:57 AM.

mtbr member
    I wear a medium weight wool jersey with a long neck zip and if it's cold a wind vest on top. As it gets warmer I can ditch the vest easily and open the jersey quite a lot to get the right temperature.

I think if you want to be comfortable on a ride you need to start a bit cold in your driveway. If you don't feel cold when you walk out your door you'll be overheating in 10 mins.

A SS jersey with arm warmers can also be a good option. You can pull the arm warmers down or off completely at a red light.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's like half my year here ( Boston MA) I like a long sleeve poly pro base layer and a wool sweater. Add a wind proof vest and that should be some good combinations to start with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    arm warmers
    long sleeve jersey
    light jacket

All will come in handy - I do a lot of long climbs and long descents, so I might start with short sleeve and arm warmers, but might need to pull on the jacket for the descent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well it looks like I'll have to buy it all! I start with a long descent and end with a long climb, each way. Do any of you use something like the Gore Phantom with the zip off sleeves or are they just a pain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Well it looks like I'll have to buy it all! I start with a long descent and end with a long climb, each way. Do any of you use something like the Gore Phantom with the zip off sleeves or are they just a pain?
    How long is your commute? I would use zip off sleeves to modify my jacket between morning and evening rides [usually warmer in the evening]. I wouldn't ride a descent and then stop and unzip then carry on.

Wear a wind vest on the downhill which you can adjust the zip on as you ride and be a little chilly on that first downhill. You can charge hard when you get to the flats to warm up.

I'd figure out a setup you can adjust as you ride or at a short stop light a red light. I don't like to break up the rhythm of my commute with extra stops.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It's around 17km, in the morning the first part is all off road 6km is gentle downhill 8km flat then on the road 1km flat with 2 lights and a 2km climb of around 200m. I hate to stop also so I start with a base layer and long sleeve softshell upto the flat it's great then I start getting to hot, once I get to the climb the softshell comes off. I will get a windproof vest and arm warmers and see if that does the trick, Cheers for the imput.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd start with just arm warmers and evaluate from there. Anything windproof might be overkill at those temps (at least it would be for me).

Two Tired
    I think it depends on you and what temperatures you like. I can wear summer gear at 60F but there are other people that are all bundled up.

I have a Phantom jacket that I really like and might be a good solution for you on cool or variable days. The WindStopper material is great and the zip off sleeves really help me adjust body temperature. I also like the fact that it is breathable and not a "sealed" jacket like a windbreaker because I end up cooking myself with "waterproof jacket", especially on climbs.

Much of your ride could be handled with a vest, arm warmers and leg warmers (or not). These have the advantage of being compact and easy to adjust or remove. Another option is a thin base layer tank top or T shirt - it is surprising how much heat these help retain.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    As a Scotsman there is a certain sense of shame in saying that 15C is cold but 10 years in Israel has made me soft, my legs however have natural insulation so I can wear shorts at any temperature!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As I'm from Tucson, AZ and have been to Israel, we deal with a similar climate. I'm thin and also a skier so have tried a lot of gear after 60 years. I wear a lightweight merino wool shirt with a vest and light jacket on top to about freezing, then reach for the midweight if colder. Just take off the jacket and vest as temps change and you'll be set. Go for something bright if you'll be on any roads and never trust any driver.
    agmtb