nimble biker

New question here. opinions need for mens Lycras shorts urgently

My old lycra short is worn out. I will be going biking naked if I don't get the short. I am searching for the next replacement. I will choose one out 12 suitable candidates. The lucky short will get to go on vacation with me. there will be plenty of chicks. Guarantee.

My old lycra short was from Mountain Equipment Coop. It is really good but got damaged. I am considering pearlIzumi micro 3D microsensor short or the microsensor short. This is the URL http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi...ctTypeSubID=12

Is any guys out there using this one? I already read the reviews on mtbr. I want to know the truth story. nothing but the truth ! I can handle it. Is the fabric thick enough, or elastic band strong enough to last 5yrs?
    Does the fabric look smooth or have texture shape like many mini square pattern ? If you have it, you would know. I need your opinions.

The next brand is Louis Garneau. URL: http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/cata...subsection=016

I am considering the ergotex short, mat signature 9.25 short, request signature short. Let me know what you think about its durability of fabric and elastic band durabilty.

The last brand is Primal wear shorts. URL http://www.primalwear.com/2005-SITE/MENS-SHORTS.html

I am considering the big logo short that has primal logo. Is this brand better than Pearl Izumi , Louis Garneu ?

mtbr member

moots has their shorts on sale

made by voler for $55+shipp. go to www.moots.com and find on sale category. They are decent shorts, not assos but for $55 you cannot go wrong.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    one word;

VOLER

check out www.velowear.com. they have a great return policy, ship fast, have great customer service and the clothing is excellent quality.

with the cash you save, buy two pairs.

nimble biker

more opinions are required !

Moots short look awful. It doesn't look ergonomic at all. Velo short seem ok. I have to investigate further. Does anyone have more opinions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    My old lycra short is worn out. I will be going biking naked if I don't get the short. I am searching for the next replacement. I will choose one out 12 suitable candidates. The lucky short will get to go on vacation with me. there will be plenty of chicks. Guarantee.

My old lycra short was from Mountain Equipment Coop. It is really good but got damaged. I am considering pearlIzumi micro 3D microsensor short or the microsensor short. This is the URL http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizumi...ctTypeSubID=12

Is any guys out there using this one? I already read the reviews on mtbr. I want to know the truth story. nothing but the truth ! I can handle it. Is the fabric thick enough, or elastic band strong enough to last 5yrs?
    Does the fabric look smooth or have texture shape like many mini square pattern ? If you have it, you would know. I need your opinions.

The next brand is Louis Garneau. URL: http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/cata...subsection=016

I am considering the ergotex short, mat signature 9.25 short, request signature short. Let me know what you think about its durability of fabric and elastic band durabilty.

The last brand is Primal wear shorts. URL http://www.primalwear.com/2005-SITE/MENS-SHORTS.html

I am considering the big logo short that has primal logo. Is this brand better than Pearl Izumi , Louis Garneu ?

I have been using both the PI Quest and Microsensor shorts.
    For how much they cost. The Quest shorts are really good. and the Microsensor shorts are great. They are very confly and work well to transfer moisture off your body and help keep you cool. I recommend them.
    My cousin raves about the Santini bib shorts . He has used the Microsensor shorts also and thinks the Santini ones are on par with the PI shorts.

ronbo613
    I've used bib shorts for a few years now. So much more comfortable and longer lasting than regular shorts. If you ride a lot, bibs are the only way to go. They cost more, but are worth it. I'm using Canari bibs now, they are not the big buck models, but they are comfy and I've been wearing them 3-4 times a week for a couple years now. And yes, I wash them after each ride(in the shower).

MC MasterShake
    I'm using PI's MTB short with the 3D chamois. The chamois is actually a seperate peice than the short so it doesn't move on you. This is the best chamois I've ever used. I'm very sensitive down there so I've had a problem with any rides that go for more than 3 hours. Not with these shorts. I've gone 4+ w/o chafing. I highly recommend the 3D chamois.

I've tried PI's next level down lycras and they're ok but not great. I've tried FOX, Nema, REI, Zoic, and other PI MTB shorts and all of them have a chamois that feels like a wet diaper after about an hour or 2.

nimble biker

New question here. Is PI fabric durable, thick enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I'm using PI's MTB short with the 3D chamois. The chamois is actually a seperate peice than the short so it doesn't move on you. This is the best chamois I've ever used. I'm very sensitive down there so I've had a problem with any rides that go for more than 3 hours. Not with these shorts. I've gone 4+ w/o chafing. I highly recommend the 3D chamois.

I've tried PI's next level down lycras and they're ok but not great. I've tried FOX, Nema, REI, Zoic, and other PI MTB shorts and all of them have a chamois that feels like a wet diaper after about an hour or 2.
    Is PI shorts fabric thick enough ? What about the chamois? I read the reviews of PI shorts on this site and most riders said the elastic isn't strong enough that it breaks in a short time. Is this true? Do you wear the Ultrasensor 3D short or microsensor shorts?

mtbr member
    another voler vote, they usually have 'em on sale at their website & return policy is great. Voler fit a bit on the snug side if you're on the clyde end of spectrum.

it's been years, but the performance brand 'elite/pro/whatever' ones have lasted fairly well, but not held up as well as the voler, but when on sale the price is good. Performance customer service has gone down the cr@pper though.

I haven't found the need to shell out for izumi stuff.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

That's my name
    Fox have their Stage 5 lycra short, i find them to be quite good and they are definitely worth a look. The chamois is really comfortable, the elastic seems to last well and the fit is good. Don't know how the price stacks up against the others, but Fox can be a little pricey at full retail.
    Although i'm not sure that chicks really dig lycra shorts on a guy, i always wear shorts over the top to hide my nappy pants! (feels like you are wearing a nappy while you are walking)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Voler shorts are comfortable, durable and priced right. I like them better than my high dollar Castellis. Done deal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

The best

bibs I have are FI-13 by assos. They cost $200, but by far most comfy bibs. I like voler/moots - low cost, good feel. I wear them sporadically to prolong the life of assos.