Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joeynational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    121

    Oakley US Standard Issue Goggles?

    Looking for set of goggles, I can buy from Oakley's military site usstandardissue.com they have a couple pairs of goggles I like, question is will they work with a FF helmet? Has anyone bought some of these for MTB'ing??

    https://secure.usstandardissue.com/P...tail.cfm?id=15


    https://secure.usstandardissue.com/P...ail.cfm?id=288
    Last edited by joeynational; 03-18-2012 at 01:42 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joeynational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    121
    bumpity bump....no one??

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    253
    not sure if anyone will give a review just because that is only military/ police issued (you need id to buy them)... I think the regular googles still have a high protection rating.

  4. #4
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,740
    Dude, very few if any people are going to have reviews of SI goggles as it pertains to MTBing.

    Just get "normal" goggles that you can find reviews for, done by users who ride MTBs.

    That said, I've found all of their products to be excellent as it pertains to dust protection, visual clarity, etc. when getting out of a -60 or the like.

  5. #5
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynational View Post
    bumpity bump....no one??
    Unless you are :
    Active Duty Military personnel
    Military Reserve personnel
    Sworn Federal & Local Law Enforcement Officers
    Fire Department personnel
    Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel
    Military retirees that have Government or Military ID
    Veterans with Military IDís (excludes employees of Veteran Affairs)
    and have an ID that you can submit to them.
    Then your SOL

    When I was active duty I have used them for prescription Oakleys. That would also be the reason you don't even see the price.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    814
    If youíve read my posts and seen my pictures, you know Iím retired military, working as a civilian contractor onboard a USMC installation where I go out my office door to ride the jeep and tank trails daily. Iíve seen these goggles. Unless you have a large face and larger FF helmet, these would not be appropriate. The Oakley SI Assault A-Frame goggle (one-size designed to be worn with Kevlar helmet) would be more suitable; however, I believe (and own) the ESS brand. They are just as durable, come in clear lens (the woods get dark fast), fit nicely, and are much cheaper. Hope this helps.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joeynational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    If youíve read my posts and seen my pictures, you know Iím retired military, working as a civilian contractor onboard a USMC installation where I go out my office door to ride the jeep and tank trails daily. Iíve seen these goggles. Unless you have a large face and larger FF helmet, these would not be appropriate. The Oakley SI Assault A-Frame goggle (one-size designed to be worn with Kevlar helmet) would be more suitable; however, I believe (and own) the ESS brand. They are just as durable, come in clear lens (the woods get dark fast), fit nicely, and are much cheaper. Hope this helps.
    yes sir! Thank you!! I knew at least someone on here had experience, if not directly with mtb'ing..

    What base are you on?? I used to be a Pendleton, so I know there is TONS of trail!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    814
    I'm at Quantico now. Both mainside and Camp Barrett have miles of double and single track. Including some bike only trails. Yup, I did time at CP, but didn't have a bike back then. Too busy on deployments. I use to run the trails. Nice area if you like Calif and like to surf. You can thank the Marine Corps for many miles of pristine undeveloped coast line. The best thing about where I'm at now is I can ride no matter what the conditions are. So I've become a mud/snow/serious dirt mtbr. The trails out in local Fredericksburg and other nearby spots will close when they get muddy. Nothing wrong with that. But with the Marines, you can continue to ride the jeep and tank trails. No excuse for not going out every day!
    Semper Fi.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joeynational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    I'm at Quantico now. Both mainside and Camp Barrett have miles of double and single track. Including some bike only trails. Yup, I did time at CP, but didn't have a bike back then. Too busy on deployments. I use to run the trails. Nice area if you like Calif and like to surf. You can thank the Marine Corps for many miles of pristine undeveloped coast line. The best thing about where I'm at now is I can ride no matter what the conditions are. So I've become a mud/snow/serious dirt mtbr. The trails out in local Fredericksburg and other nearby spots will close when they get muddy. Nothing wrong with that. But with the Marines, you can continue to ride the jeep and tank trails. No excuse for not going out every day!
    Semper Fi.

    Awesome!! I hear you on deployments, haha...Thank you for your service, from one Marine to another! OohRahh!

  10. #10
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,604
    Wiley X | Tactical Goggles - Spear

    No military ID required.
    I like turtles

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joeynational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    121
    ^^Dang those are pricey, the Oakley ones i posted are $15 and $24

  12. #12
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynational View Post
    ^^Dang those are pricey, the Oakley ones i posted are $15 and $24
    I just noticed that you can buy from them. Sorry if I sounded dick. Kill, motivate, death and destruction. YUT.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    814
    Could get by with cheaper ones if you are not going downhill in a hailstorm or expecting an ambush.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

  14. #14
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I just noticed that you can buy from them. Sorry if I sounded dick. Kill, motivate, death and destruction. YUT.
    No problem at all. Are the Oakleys really that inexpensive? I can't believe they make anything that cheap.. That's why I didn't think the price on the Wileys was so nuts.
    I like turtles

  15. #15
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    Could get by with cheaper ones if you are not going downhill in a hailstorm or expecting an ambush.
    You make an excellent point. I spend a lot of money on prescription glasses, sunglasses and safety glasses, so the fact that I can get those Spears in prescription, I would want them to be the highest quality possible. I figure if it's good enough for the military, it should be good enough for whatever I'm gonna throw at it.
    I like turtles

  16. #16
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I would want them to be the highest quality possible. I figure if it's good enough for the military, it should be good enough for whatever I'm gonna throw at it.
    Mil-spec any lens are made so that if they are pitted with debris you don't lose an eye. I forget the rating they need to be to meet the requirement but, maybe someone will help out. For sure though it's more durable then regular lenses.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •