Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Oakley frames and lens tints

I am looking into getting a pair of Oakley's for riding. Which ones are you guys using and which tints do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a pair of Half Jackets. Oakley doesn't make the original Half Jacket anymore, they have the Half Jacket 2.0 and Flak Jacket, either would be comparable. I have a pair of black iridium lenses that I use most days and a pair of yellow tinted lenses for overcast/rainy days. The yellow lenses are fantastic, I can use them on sunny days if I forget the black iridium ones but on overcast days they really make everything pop, can't imagine riding in low light conditions without them. Haven't had any issues with them slipping off or with pressure points, they're comfortable. You might be able to pick up a used set of Half Jackets and some additional lenses for cheap on ebay, the last set I bought (lost my first two pairs) was $20. Pretty much any sport style of Oakley with the rubber on the ear stalks would be good for riding. Also, look for the XLJ style of lenses, that little bit of extra coverage makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
    I am looking into getting a pair of Oakley's for riding. Which ones are you guys using and which tints do you recommend?
    I am using a pair of Radarlocks with red iridium lenses that I like alot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I own about a dozen pairs of Oaleys including the old MP3 variants. Anyhow, I'm currently rocking the Carbon Fiber Flak Jackets w/Polarized lenses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'd recommend the Jawbones or their replacements: Racing Jackets.
    They work great for riding, come with vented lenses, and have tons of lens & frame choices.
    09 Norco Fluid 2 | 10 Trek Fuel EX 8 | 12 Airborne Guardian

Flow like water
    I have paid $50 at the most for any sunglasses. I rock a pair of Tifosi with multiple lenses for different conditions. I have looked at Oakley several times. I cannot justify spending that much money for a pair of sunglasses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    I have paid $50 at the most for any sunglasses. I rock a pair of Tifosi with multiple lenses for different conditions. I have looked at Oakley several times. I cannot justify spending that much money for a pair of sunglasses.
    Like most things in the outdoor gear world, you never see the benefits of more expensive gear until you actually use it, and then you realize why its more expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    I have the tifosi logic xl and I'm not happy with them. They feel too flimsy and cheap on my face. I do have a pair of Oakley that I use for everyday use which feel a lot more solid, but they are not the interchangeable lenses and plus I don't want to use them for riding, anyway. I have tried on the radarlock pitch which are the same style as my tifosi logic and the pitch feels more solid, also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
    I have a pair of Half Jackets. Oakley doesn't make the original Half Jacket anymore, they have the Half Jacket 2.0 and Flak Jacket, either would be comparable. I have a pair of black iridium lenses that I use most days and a pair of yellow tinted lenses for overcast/rainy days. The yellow lenses are fantastic, I can use them on sunny days if I forget the black iridium ones but on overcast days they really make everything pop, can't imagine riding in low light conditions without them. Haven't had any issues with them slipping off or with pressure points, they're comfortable. You might be able to pick up a used set of Half Jackets and some additional lenses for cheap on ebay, the last set I bought (lost my first two pairs) was $20. Pretty much any sport style of Oakley with the rubber on the ear stalks would be good for riding. Also, look for the XLJ style of lenses, that little bit of extra coverage makes a difference.
    I tried on the flack jacket xlj in a store. I really liked them, very comfortable as you said. I only wish they had vented lenses. Do you have any issues with fogging?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Do you guys find the iridium lens a little dark when going in and out of shade?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes. My primary lens is the VR28 (amber tint). Personal preference I guesss, but Oakley does give you something like 60 days to bring the lens back and switch it out or just test another tint.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I always hated the look of most Oakleys until my LBS owner had me try on a pair of Flak Jackets out his display case because he couldn't tell if they were polorized. They are the most comfortable shades I have ever worn. You can get the XL if you have a bigger face. I've been wearing the Flak Jackets for a few years and the yellow lens are awesome for low light conditions and they do make things brighter. I also have a light grey polorized lens for medium light that is the best all around lens in my opinion. I like a grey lens in full sunlight because it doesn't change the colors of the landscape. The black iridium (dark grey) polarized lens is a little dark if you ride in and out of shade in wooded areas, but it really works on the water or snow on clear days.

mtbr member
    No I don't, they seem to be a good tint for me and my riding area

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WizKid View Post
    Oakley does give you something like 60 days to bring the lens back and switch it out or just test another tint.
    Did not know that. That is really good to know. I just looked it up and it's 90 days on everything, except custom orders with free return shipping, plus you get free shipping when you order. I've been debating about getting the photochromic lenses, but not sure how well they are for MTB, but now maybe I'll give them a try, since I can return them if I don't like them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    bump

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    btt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    btt

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes. My primary lens is the VR28 (amber tint). Personal preference I guesss

mtbr member
    Most of my riding is single track in the woods, so I am usually running Persimmon lenses. They really make everything "pop" If I know I'll be spending a lot of time in open areas and bright sun, then I run G30 or VR28 lenses. I run clear lenses for night riding. I had a friend lose an eye in MTB crash back in 1992, so I ALWAYS wear eye protection when riding.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Oakley Jawbone as they have replacable lenses and I don't like the look of the "non rim" glasses.

Persimmon for the woods, mirror polarized for the road, clear at night.

I'll probably grab a pair of the Scattante Matrix glasses when these finally break.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Oakley Jawbone ...

I'll probably grab a pair of the Scattante Matrix glasses when these finally break.

-Tom
    Every single pair of Oakleys that I have broken, I have sent back to Oakley and they have replaced them
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Okaley glasses are nice, but their warranty is weak for such a pricey product. Personally, I use Smith products, which come with a lifetime warranty and a great replacement program. Also, for 2013 all interchangeable Smith frames come with three sets of lenses. I personally like Smith's optics over Oakley. In my experience, the Oakley lenses have more distortion than Smith.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have had the same pair of radars for about 8 years. Have two lenses the stock dark reflective ones and clear ones. I use them for everything. Shooting, mowing the lawn, working on car, cycling etc. I have replaced the rubber parts once. The frame's finish is kinda peeling like a sunburn. No biggie. I think I lost them though. Not sure I want to spend money for a new pair, but I probably will cause I love if I get shot in the face with bird shot I won't loose my eyes. haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hmm i have the fuel cell, oil rig and like 5 other frames that have names i cant remember
    I always get a set of the blue iridium(sp?) lens and a set of black polarized lens
    For riding I actually perfer the purple iridium that has a amber internal tint

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornmodernbaby View Post
    Yes. My primary lens is the VR28 (amber tint). Personal preference I guesss
    +1

The VR28 lens tint gives me the best for all conditions. I prefer the SI M-Frames. They give me the best coverage/protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast