mtbr member

Oakley ?, 2 seperate pairs or 1 frame & 2 lens sets?

I basically have credit at my Scheels I need to use and haven't ever had a decent pair of sunglasses.
    Basically, I want Oakleys and I can get either the Fast Jacket with 2 lens sets or 2 pair of Half Jackets for nearly the same price.
    So should I get one frame and 2 set of lenses or 2 complete seperate sunglasses? Yes, I have tried them both on and can go either, I just can't decide. Is it easier to change lenses and have everything in one case or have 2 pairs and just grab which one I need at the time?
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I did the lens swap thing for many years with a pair of Native's, but eventually ended up just getting a second pair. I guess one could say that there is less chance for the lenses getting scratched due to them not being handled as often. If I was in your situation, I'd opt for getting two pairs with different lenses.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I'm not sure how practical it is to switch lenses so often. I run and I bike, in varying terrains and conditions, with total darkness and a headlamp/bike light to full sun on pavement. Obviously one lens won't do, even 2 lens combos are questionable.

Since I couldn't decide, I went back and bought all 3 options. A Half 2.0 with persimmon, a flak with ice polarized iridium, and a fast jacket with g30 polarized iridium and slate iridium. I ran and rode with all and it didn't help me narrow it down one bit!!!

I like the half and flak for running(both have XL lense shapes). They are lighter weight, grip super well, and are smaller profile. They fit almost like swim googles! The coverage is amazing! And the colors I got match my running gear better (bright colors).

I like fast for biking. They fit more like snow goggles, big but great full field of vision. I feel more protected from the elements in them. And the stock lenses I got seem smarter for biking in foliage and shade/full sun in & out. Plus, they match my bike and clothing better(black plaid). And if I HAD to pick one pair of frames, this one would be it. Not the lightest choice for running.....but the frames feel more "real" as in, more durable???

I dunno....buying all 3 to try just made me want to keep all 3!
    Ugh. This is so much harder than it should be!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought a pair of Fast Jackets a year ago, iridium and persimmon lenses. I switch to the orange in the morning commute since there's not much daylight and tinted ones for the evening.

It doesn't take long to swap them out and you can always get new lenses for a reasonable cost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'd go half jacket or flax jacket. I used the Fasts for a short time, but due to the size of the locking bit, there was a lot of helmet/glasses contact. Just get the G40 photochromic lens. Best thing going. Great contrast, put them on at sunrise and take them off at sunset, never think twice about them. Really good for cloudy/rainy use. Worth the price

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am on my second pair of flak jackets with photochromatic lenses and they are great! I have a set of clear lenses for anything that is really low light but the lenses seem to do great up until its dark.

mtbr member
    Being that I need prescription glasses (bi focal) and they can be big money I went with a pair of Oakley's single vison for distance just for riding and sports and a bifocal Oakley for casual.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member

Re: Oakley ?, 2 seperate pairs or 1 frame & 2 lens sets?

I run the jawbones, now called racing jackets, easy to swap out in the parking lot before a ride. Also durable, fell off my helmet one time and I ran them over. No damage whatsoever.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Trail Ninja
    Interesting. Didn't know Racing Jackets replaced Jawbones. The frames did look similar, with the diff ear stem, not smaller like the Split Jacket.

Looks like there was some trademark infringement issue regarding the Jawbone name, apparently with some bluetooth ear/headset.

mtbr member

Re: Oakley ?, 2 seperate pairs or 1 frame & 2 lens sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Interesting. Didn't know Racing Jackets replaced Jawbones. The frames did look similar, with the diff ear stem, not smaller like the Split Jacket.

Looks like there was some trademark infringement issue regarding the Jawbone name, apparently with some bluetooth ear/headset.
    Basically the same glass renamed due to the blue tooth folks.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables