DOME Freeride Mafia

Not your typical full face helmet question

I need to get my son a FF helmet for his 5th birthday coming up at the end of October. Shiver Me Timbers commented on the lack of a FF helmet when I posted pics of my son hitting the dirt jumps:
    Rippin' pics here!
    More here

The problem is that they all look super heavy with minimal ventilation. I ride a Vigor Vamoose II and it's not only super light, but the ventilation is great and I want the same for my little freerider. Does anybody have any advice?

Why we need a FF helmet: (Pajarito Dirt Jumps)

Future DS racer?

One more thing: it's got to last long enough for my 2-1/2 yr old to grow in to! (He started riding earlier this summer)

Don't need these anymore!

Day 1:

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed: they don't mean quite so much, except that you get to hang out with your workin' friends...

mtbr member
    That kid is awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My neighbors kid uses a pro-tec with fairly good it look like ventilation, he is about 5 or 6. Its light and I have seen it take some good face plants and it is still in god condition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Vigor Vamoose was made in a xxxs. Would probably be about right. Finding one may be a different matter as I think they discontinued them. Might have a equal replacement.

Also try www.danscomp.com. They're strictly BMX, may be able to get real small size there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ya might wanna try something from the motocross companies, they make very small helmets for little kids. try fox, thor, o'neal, arai(expensive but might be the best shot),

mtbr member
    That kid is going to grow up being a very happy kid!!! I remember when I first road at that age how hooked I was!!
    07' Wahoo Disk(Sold)
    08' Lemond Reno(Sold)
    Budget build SS in progress from spare parts...

JMU Cycling- "Just Huck It"

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Check out the Mongoose FF that Toys R Us sells, works fine for the little gromets.

dirt rules
    My 4 year old is rockin' a Specialized Deviant. It's pretty light, and fits well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nj.diablo.dh
    ya might wanna try something from the motocross companies, they make very small helmets for little kids. try fox, thor, o'neal, arai(expensive but might be the best shot),

i second that....they make tons of helmets for kids and some are pretty sweet lookin....if he cares about that.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by nj.diablo.dh
    He said he wanted good ventilation though and motocross helmets arent usually as well vented as they have to pass more strict standards so they cant afford to have the added ventilation. I believe 661 makes some kids helmets. http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...1-994a1a914921 It looks like they are out of stock of alot of the sizes so you would probably have to order form somplace else but they do make them.
    Purple Popcorn

Glad to Be Alive
    why don't you buy a football helmet.....they make them in smaller sizes......just get an old quarterback's face mask
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    When I used to race at the BMX track, I saw plenty of kids his size with nothing but FF helmets by TLD, BELL, etc... If there is one in town, check it out.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Pryme makes the Al in kids sizes (not sure if they make them small enough for a 5 year old though). It's one of the two well ventilated helmets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    why don't you buy a football helmet.....they make them in smaller sizes......just get an old quarterback's face mask
    That reminds me of the movie Rad with bill allen where he races with a hocky helmet.

Capricious youth...
    My friend's 5 year old son races Moto and BMX. He's got a 661 Full face that works just fine.

I'd go for that one.
    Meh.

Capricious youth...
    My friend's 5 year old son races Moto and BMX. He's got a 661 Full face that works just fine.

I'd go for that one.
    Meh.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Mace makes some pretty decent kid-lids, I see loads of em out & about

Members who have read this thread: 0