mtbr member
    May 2011

Noob question: If I want to wear baggy MTB pants do I wear regular bike shorts under?

Hi there.
    Perhaps a weird question but I'm new to this. Hope its ok.

I dont like wearing conventional lycra bike shorts but I do like the comfort the padding give me. If I buy a pair of baggy bike shorts (Fox, Yeti, etc.) do they come with padding or do I wear regular bike shorts underneeth?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

Noob question: If I want to wear baggy MTB pants do I wear regular bike short...

Most biking shorts do. I prefer to wear padded underwear then I can wear whatever shorts I like
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The better MTB shorts have a full lycra liner, often removable. I've got Pearl Izumi and Endura Humvee, both have fully removable lycra liners with chamois pads in them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsqueak View Post
    The better MTB shorts have a full lycra liner, often removable. I've got Pearl Izumi and Endura Humvee, both have fully removable lycra liners with chamois pads in them.
    This. I've found most liners that come with the shorts are okay, but tend to have thinner pads and much thinner material in general. I use normal lycra shorts with good pads under my baggies for big rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i'm sad that some of the best padded lycra shorts cost $150!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You don't need the best, padded lycra shorts. Get a closeout pair from Nashbar(under $50) and wear them under your choice of baggy cargo shorts.....DONE!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Save Jesus
    The "regular" lycra shorts for roadies to wear tend to be kind of tight, with a thick slick material. They will work with your baggy shorts, but tend to be hotter and slippery. The padded under-shorts that come with your baggies are of a lighter, more vented, less slippery material. The "padded underwear" type shorts are similar to these and work well also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just bought a pair of pearl izumi liners that I'm going to use inside some largely nylon shorts, I could let you know how that goes for me. New to this as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Once you get adjusted the chamois isn't as important and you can get a few pair of the Under Armor compression shorts and wear them as liners too. I have a few of those so I can get more than one ride in for a pair of MTB shorts without having to wash the liners quickly.

Once you get your saddle adjusted just right and get used to riding, the main thing you need is to stop chafing and wick moisture. The UA compression shorts work great for that. I wear them under plain cargo shorts too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The chamois I got for $50 seem to be doing quite well for me over the last 12 - 15 mile rides ive done, I'm focusing more on the ride ans less on my behind

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have always worn lycra under my baggy shorts. I do not like the padded liners that come with shorts these days as they are too uncomfortable for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I recently did a ride without padding. I could really tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Noob question: If I want to wear baggy MTB pants do I wear regular bike short...

The Troy Lee Design Ace and Ruckus shorts have been getting rave reviews and are being sold at great prices on Chainlove, etc. I bought 2 of the Aces. Very high quality and come with an excellent detachable padded liner short.

See this thread:

My favorite high-end shorts for $60 My favorite high-end shorts for $60

mtbr member
    Ive always done the dual boot system...a pair of lyrcas (carnari's/rei-novara) under my baggies (Columbia) and it works just fine.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

Long live the ASR-7
    If it hurts to ride, ride more. Best advice I was ever given when I started riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check out the Troy Lee Designs ACE and RUCKUS, both are a casual 'baggy' trail short, but both come with an included chamois/liner undershort.

Troy Lee DesignsŪ | Ruckus Short

Troy Lee DesignsŪ | Ace Short

Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Hi there.
    Perhaps a weird question but I'm new to this. Hope its ok.

I dont like wearing conventional lycra bike shorts but I do like the comfort the padding give me. If I buy a pair of baggy bike shorts (Fox, Yeti, etc.) do they come with padding or do I wear regular bike shorts underneeth?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I picked up a pair of canari gel shorts (about $50) and I'm fairly happy with the comfort. The external stitching is breaking in some areas, but nothing a little home repair can't fix. The gel padding is part of the internal mesh compression layer and not removable.