mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Noob needs a helmet :)

Hello all,

Just got back into riding and purchased my first MTB after riding a road bike in my younger years.

Back when riding my road bike wasn't much of a concern/law in wearing helmets but now of course there is with all the stats on how it saves your noggin'

I'm thinking of the following helmets to buy and would like input. It will be for trail riding and road.

- Fox Flux or Striker
    - Giro Xen or Xar

tia

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd say go with the Xar I was in the very same position as your self. I did my research online and at my LBS ended up going with the Xar. Good look, light and vents well. If i really had the money to burn i would of went with the POC race trabec. Good luck

mtbr member
    Up until a crash at the end of last year, I was using a Giro Hex. I really liked it but it never stopped me from looking around at others and one thing I noticed with the Xen and Xar was how the straps are molded right into the shell rather than hanging. While it's a minor thing, I think it will be easier to put on so I purchased a Xar for the upcoming season. Haven't gotten to use it yet though.

I was also looking at the Flux but IIRC, the strap is built in at the front but hangs freely at the back. Again, I know it's a minor thing but something to consider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the Flux and couldn't be happier. It sits nice and low on the head, is comfortable, and has plently of vents and openings for mounting a camera or helmet light (with appropriate straps, of course). The flux comes in different sizes so make sure to measure appropriately. It looks like pricepoint.com has the Flux 2011 version on sale for $64.98. Good luck with whatever you chose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Several weeks ago I was in the same situation. I ended up purchasing a Giro Feature and Giro Xar. I returned the Feature as it did not fit my head very well. The Xar fit like a glove and I love it. It breathes well and is comfortable where I do not notice it while riding. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I 2nd the flux, really couldn't be a better helmet in my opinion. Low profile, not too bulky with all the protection you need. A lot of it depends on your head size though, so I would definitely get into a shop and try them on in person before you shell the money out for one. A few extra bucks is a small price to pay for a lid that you feel completely comfortable in.

mtbr member
    Third vote for the Fox Flux, great lid...best I've used for comfort and features.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

Michigan Wolverine
    I love my Striker. Nice and lightweight. I love how Fox throws in a replacement set of pads too.

Miami, FL
    In case you look at em I have a Bontrager Solstice.

It's a bit gappy on the sides even when the structure is tightened up but I know I have an oval head (Arai head if you know that particular term lol).

I bought it for price but on the trail I don't actually notice it except when I use it to move those low hanging branches out of the way *tap**tap**tap*

But there is always room for improvement so I'm going to check out that Fox Flux
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thank you all for your feedback.

I finally found a lbs that carry both fox and giro helmets so I can try them all on to see what fits and how they feel.

I've narrowed it down to the Striker and Xar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here.

Here is what my dome looks like. Any idea's what helmet brand would work?

My dome is 21"

That's Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Sunny California...

the Lady behind me_______________"Insert Quote here"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob needs a helmet :)-dsc00111.jpg  

Last edited by BMW M 2 ISF; 04-15-2012 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a fox striker I got off amazon for 60 bucks. It is very nice looking and I love how it fits. I recommend that one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    21"=~53cm. So depending on which company you go with it's either a xs/s or s/m.

I settled on the Striker and I must say it's slick and feels very comfortable. I found the Xar to put a liitle bt too much pressure on my temples but when I put on the Striker it was VERY comfy.

Thanks for everyone's input