Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Non-jersey jerseys?

Anyone have any good suggestions for bike jerseys that aren't actually jerseys? I don't want a zipper and I don't want rear pockets and I don't want to be covered with logos. I just want something non-cotton and comfortable.

I'm currently wearing UnderArmour Heat Gear shirts and they are fantastic if not a bit pricey.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking a running shirt would be exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe a trip to a discount sporting goods store (REI, Dick's, Academy, etc.) is the best bet.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I liked the technical T's that target sells, they breath well, they're dirt cheap, like 10 bucks a piece or something crazy, and they're comfortable. But I ended up getting converted to jerseys because they're cut better for the position your body is in riding & end up being more comfortable, plus the rear pockets are super handy for my keys phone bike tool & goo. If you're worried about the logos you can find plenty of jerseys that aren't so loud, search Amazon for an infinite selection...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Like Bill-e-Bob said, I rock the "Champion C9" Tech T's they sell at Target.

The newer model running shirts even have a drop tail. However they are more vented so the UV rating probably would be lower. They still sell the regular "tech t" as well.

If you keep an eye on the clearance section I've managed to snag a bunch of them for around $5.

Poseur
    I have a couple of cycling jerseys from when I was a roadie, but I mostly wear tech t's on the MTB. +1 on the C9 shirts from Target. Also, if you have a Ross or TJ Maxx nearby, you can find name-brand tech shirts on clearance. Right now my favorite riding shirt is a Tunisia replica soccer jersey by Puma that I got for like $12.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB View Post
    I liked the technical T's that target sells, they breath well, they're dirt cheap, like 10 bucks a piece or something crazy, and they're comfortable.

this. I find riding shirts last about a year before they get an unbearable funk that won't wash out, so I don't like spending much on something I know I'm going to toss before long.

for more cycling cut types, I like dakine and Royal, have not-too-gaudy tshirt looking jerseys. They pop up once in a while on chainlove.

local trails rider
    Hit a general sports store and look for shirts. I've been using some that are sold as "running shirts".

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Champion C9 from Target, or Russell or other clearance stuff from places like *****, Sports Authority. Usually all under $12 or so. Works great for me for a variety of purposes, from riding my bikes to playing bball to wearing at the gym. Been using them about 5 years now, no complaints.

On the road, I wear "real" jerseys with pockets, zip, bright colors, etc. Because I ride the road w/o a pack and I want to be as well-seen as possible. But on the trails, I'm with the OP -- I don't need pockets because I always have my hydration pack, and I don't really need zippers in front or crazy logos and colors because I'm not worried about anyone running me over.

Edit -- haha, MTBR edited out the name of the other large sporting goods chain I mentioned. I guess his 'real' name would be Richard's!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If there is a Nordstrom Rack near you, look for the athletic wear rack, usually near the Mens section. They have some higher-end brands of running shirts for super cheap.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I go for the REI or EMS sweat wicking tees. They're cheap ($15~ each), dry quick and you can wear them off the bike and not look like you just finished the Tour de France.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In the June 2013 Mountain Bike Action mag article , Hans Rey (gt bikes) favors addidas soccer jerseys.
    I've tried a soccer jerseys and they work really well. Most are ventilated with a generous cut.
    They are available in plain colors with no logos.
    You can purchase them from sports stores or online.

mtbr member
    clearance run tees - adidas/nike climalite kinda stuff. soccer jerseys work well for me as well. plenty of clearance stuff around.
    don't sweat the petty things & don't pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    how about soccer jersey?
    JUST DO IT

troll
    Columbia has a really nice line of tech tees that have SPF built into the fabric. I think they're called "Omni-wick". I sometimes find them on sale at sporting goods shops for $20 or less.
    Men?s Mountain Tech? III Short Sleeve Top | Columbia.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nike Running Shirts Long Sleeves(DRI-FIT), no crazy logos(except the swoosh), bright colors and reasonably priced. I go to the Nike outlet and check the clearance rack, save up to 30% off lowest marked down price. I prefer long sleeves when riding in the woods don't want ticks jumping directly on me, but you can find short sleeves also.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I like running shirts. The Champion mentioned is very nice, cheap, and I got one in blaze orange for the road and during hunting season. I've had 3 "real" cycling jerseys over the past 14 years, and never liked any of them. Don't like the way they look, fit, or feel. I have NEVER needed the pockets in the back. I either have a camelback on my MTB or a saddle bag on my road bike.

I've also liked what I have from Nike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

I like bikes
    I like the button up Columbia, Teva, and NorthFace performance shirts. (Look like a Club Ride jersey). All are made for breathability and cooling performance, but look more like a shirt and less like a jersey. You can find them on sale at REI and other outdoor stores all the time, and they are usually much less $$ than a cycling jersey. Plus they can be worn for other outdoor uses.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Road Holland polo jersey

mtbr member
    REI Tech T. Pick up a couple during their fall sale to last you the year. I've gone through a lot of expensive jerseys that claim to have magical sweat wicking, fast drying, cooling properties only to find that the $15 REI shirt is far and away best choice. I use these for working out, trail running and mtb.
    Where's the gas pedal on this thing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I picked up a bunch of the athletic wicking type t-shirts at Ross from Champion, Avia, Adidas, Russell. I bought 7 at one time, and paid about $9.00 each. They all work well. Any of the well known brands should serve, as they all use a similar fabric. I have 2 jerseys that I paid a fair amount for, and only use those when I ride with my club out on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    I have a couple of cycling jerseys from when I was a roadie, but I mostly wear tech t's on the MTB. +1 on the C9 shirts from Target. Also, if you have a Ross or TJ Maxx nearby, you can find name-brand tech shirts on clearance. Right now my favorite riding shirt is a Tunisia replica soccer jersey by Puma that I got for like $12.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Anyone have any good suggestions for bike jerseys that aren't actually jerseys? I don't want a zipper and I don't want rear pockets and I don't want to be covered with logos. I just want something non-cotton and comfortable.

I'm currently wearing UnderArmour Heat Gear shirts and they are fantastic if not a bit pricey.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking a running shirt would be exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe a trip to a discount sporting goods store (REI, Dick's, Academy, etc.) is the best bet.
    Yep, I think a running shirt is just what you're looking for. That's what I wear. I like to wear the sleeveless ones while it's really nice out. Adidas Climalite and a lot of the other suggestions are real good too. The Adidas are usually about $15

Anyway, I've got these running shirts from the brand hind for $10. The last one was on clearance for $7 and I think it's an awesome jersey/running shirt. They have nice ones with sleeves too. I'm going to need to buy more soon.

I buy them at Marshall's and probably TJ Maxx would have them too. They also have a lot of other nice jersey type shirts to choose from. The hind ones have all been bright real bright colors. I bought the orange one but there was also like a bright neon yello one and a basic yellow. Not too many fashion friendly colors but may get recognized easier. I've been happy with them personally. Someone else suggested to me a "wicking top" but I wouldn't do that.

I hate the Dri-fit shirts personally. Unless if it's the 100% cotton ones but I'll still sweat in that. I was wearing this Sperry shirt that is a bit like a jersey but I've been really disappointed in it because I thought it'd be much more breathable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sleeveless Adidas soccer shirts are very nice to ride in. I have a red one that I got last summer and I love it

mtbr member
    Hans Rey wears soccer jerseys, but I'm with you on UA Heat Gear. Their long sleeve is the coolest thing I've worn in hot weather.

mtbr member
    I can't recommend the Endura gear enough. I think their cairn short sleeve jerseys are less than $25 and don't have gaudy colors nor rear pockets.

Their long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve MT500 jerseys are awesome with varying fabrics on the arms - tougher fabrics in the wear areas. They also come with a convenient sunglass wipe on the inside front of the shirt and they a small inconspicuous pocket. Endura's MTB shorts are significantly better than both my specialized and fox shorts (i havent tried Endura's chamois though).

I'll wear my endura gear on trail rides since i've snagged a lot of UA & reebok gear and they don't hold up nearly as well.

Chainreactioncycles sells the entire Endura line (Endura is Scottish I think and CRC ships from England) Shipping is free if you buy more than $100 worth of gear. Jenson has some Endura clothing as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Old Navy actually makes good wicking gear. I have a couple of their shirts, and can't complain about any of them. They make a cotton one, and that regular shiny material (like UA).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I like the clearance jerseys you can get online. You can get them decent price and they hold up to wrecks pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast