m0un#a!n 8ik3r

No shoes out there with much ankle support... should I just go with "winter" shoes??

My number ONE pet peeve of the whole bike apparel market... why aren't there more mountain bike shoes with more ankle support??

Um, hello? This sport often involves hiking, and dismounting your bike, on sometimes uneven terrain! However, most “mountain bike shoes” don’t have any more ankle support than road bike shoes. Am I the only one who has been annoyed/puzzled/baffled by this?

Granted, I’ve sprained both ankles at least once in my life, so this is a personal issue for me, but still. Seems whether or not you've sprained your ankle, all the above would make sense...?

Anyway ... every couple of years, when my mtb shoes wear out and I have to go shopping for new ones, it seems like I have to scour all the bike shopping websites, and go to lots of stores, to find some that have: ankle support... and the place has in my size (fairly common one, 44, which is usually out on sale items).... and are in a somewhat decent price range.

I usually find something that fits the bill. But this year, not so. So this time around, I'm starting to seriously consider buying "winter mtb shoes". On average, they cost a bit more than I'd ever feel like spending on bike shoes, or most any shoes for that matter.. but with the ankle support, plus the extra warmth factor... hmm..... might be worth it?

m0un#a!n 8ik3r
    Oops, hah ...... right after posting this, went and viewed this forum and saw another recent, similar, thread.

several days ago, had searched, and the above wasn't here, but forgot to check it again before posting mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yup. In that thread they mention the Shimano Trail 110's.

Looking for a mid-height mtb shoe for the ankle support

DynoDon
    Most mountain bikers are fair weather riders, and want to have a shoe that keeps them cool in the hot weather they ride in, that would be my guess as to why most MTB shoes are low cut, Specialized Defrosters are the ones I wear, they're insulated, waterproof, have football type cleats on the toes for grip when climbing muddy hills, and high enough for some ankle support. Tights can go over the tops to seal out the wind, this boot works great for road riding too. Happy Feet/Trails
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Defroster MTB
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I want to control how much ankle support and not be forced to have multiple pairs of shoes. Ankle braces can be worn with low-tops. Many types are available, from the burly lace-up 661 braces to the drug store elasticized cloth or neoprene jobbies.

Mike

Mai
    mtbr member
    What about these?Shoes

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ^^^^ those and also Shimano Am30, Am31, Am50...
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....