nimble biker

no chamois on shorts?

Has anyone ride without chamois on shorts?

does your a## feel more sore without chamois?

Jammin' Econo
    I gave up on padded bike shorts entirely about a year ago, and now I just wear merino briefs over loose-fitting (not baggy) shorts. Did a 7-day bikepacking trip this spring, a 157-mile overnighter a month ago, and numerous other long day rides, and I've had no issues at all. I feel it is a much more breathable and comfortable solution, that actually minimizes/eliminates chafing on long rides, rather than the other way around.

Rather than putting a bunch of money into fancy bike shorts, I've put it into good quality saddles that fit me instead. If you're going to forego padded shorts, a proper saddle is key.

And as with everything, YMMV, of course.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    My skinny but requires chamois. I dumped wearing shorts over them, and I'm way more comfortable. So yes, I ride with lycra
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I prefer it. I get more chafing without it.

mtbr member
    They make chamois for speedo?
    I brake for stinkbugs

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    They make chamois for speedo?
    I am investigating it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

I haven't worn a diaper in over 10yrs. I can ride 5-6hrs without noticing anything. After about 7-9 days of riding in a row I'll notice a bit or irritation. Nothing epic, but it might motivate me to switch to one of my other saddles for really long trips.

My daily driver saddle is a WTB Pure. For longer trips I'll put a Selle Anatomica saddle on my mountain bike. For bikepacking I'll use a Selle Anatomica or a Brooks B17.

With the SA saddle I can ride once or twice a day for a month without diapers and there is zero irritation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I wear a chamois mainly because I like bibs. If I could get some bibs with no chamois, and pockets on the back I would be happy. My ass-saddle interface is very comfortable.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I haven't worn a diaper in over 10yrs. I can ride 5-6hrs without noticing anything. After about 7-9 days of riding in a row I'll notice a bit or irritation. Nothing epic, but it might motivate me to switch to one of my other saddles for really long trips.

My daily driver saddle is a WTB Pure. For longer trips I'll put a Selle Anatomica saddle on my mountain bike. For bikepacking I'll use a Selle Anatomica or a Brooks B17.

With the SA saddle I can ride once or twice a day for a month without diapers and there is zero irritation.
    I have to check out those saddles you mentioned

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm fine without a chamois once my grundle has hardened up/is in midseason form. In the beginning of the year I definitely need the padding.

mtbr member
    Other than cost and fashion issues I can't see one single downside to a good pair of bibs with chamois.

"Hey bro, how was your ride?"

"Dude it was great except for one thing, my ass was too comfy!"
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Other than cost and fashion issues I can't see one single downside to a good pair of bibs with chamois.

"Hey bro, how was your ride?"

"Dude it was great except for one thing, my ass was too comfy!"
    I find wearing diapers the opposite of comfy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I find wearing diapers the opposite of comfy.
    Why diapers? I stop to pee.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Jammin' Econo
    I can think of a notable downside, and it's the main reason I've stopped wearing them: you are essentially creating a sweaty hothouse in your crotch, in which, over time, salt crystals from your sweat, etc. accumulate and can actually cause more rash/chafing. Maybe not a big deal on shorter rides, but magnified on long day rides and multi-day tours.

I don't think padded shorts actually do much of anything after you've been sitting on them for a while. The padding typically compresses to be so thin (even on high end shorts) as to be questionably effective any longer. The whole "padded short" thing came along when manufacturers started emphasizing lightweight race saddles over comfortable/supportive saddles.

Of course, use whatever works for you - we all have different needs. I'm just saying that I have found that keeping the undercarriage breathable with good airflow is ultimately a lot more comfortable, and I have no need for additional padding in my shorts. If you opt for a less than comfortable saddle, your needs will probably be different.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Why diapers? I stop to pee.
    I don't know why diapers ask the folks wearing them on their rides.

I stop to pee as well. Very easy when you are wearing boxers.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I can think of a notable downside, and it's the main reason I've stopped wearing them: you are essentially creating a sweaty hothouse in your crotch, in which, over time, salt crystals from your sweat, etc. accumulate and can actually cause more rash/chafing. Maybe not a big deal on shorter rides, but magnified on long day rides and multi-day tours.

Then why do pro riders who are on their bikes for 5 hours a day, every day deal with them? For pros it's serious business and they take every precaution to avoid saddle sores, they could never put in the hours they do on a bike with cargo shorts and come out unscathed.

Wearing bibs doesn't mean you don't need a good saddle IME, they do nothing to help with a poorly fitting one.

Like you said, everyone should do what works for themselves.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I don't know why diapers ask the folks wearing them on their rides.
    I don't know, just seems weird to wear diapers if you're not going to utilize them. Never actually known anyone who wears them but if I come across anyone I don't think I'll ask them about it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I don't know, just seems weird to wear diapers if you're not going to utilize them. Never actually known anyone who wears them but if I come across anyone I don't think I'll ask them about it.
    It's possible some folks wearing bike diapers are utilising them. I really don't ask people if they are peeing/pooing in their bike shorts.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Jammin' Econo
    Then why do pro riders who are on their bikes for 5 hours a day, every day deal with them?
    Are we talking roadies now? I know plenty of mtn bikers who spend long days in the saddle and don't wear bibs at all, with no issues. As for what pro roadies do and why, I long ago gave up on trying to figure that scene out, largely because it doesn't have any applicability for me.

As always when this topic comes up, some people love wearing them and some don't.

mtbr member
    I don't think padded shorts actually do much of anything after you've been sitting on them for a while. The padding typically compresses to be so thin (even on high end shorts) as to be questionably effective any longer.
    The padding is only half of what makes bibs comfortable (for me) the other half is the compression fit which on a good pair of bibs completely eliminates chafing because the fabric is like a second skin and moves with you. With baggies there will always be some movement (friction) between the fabric and skin.

The whole "padded shorts thing" did not evolve with lightweight race saddles, they were in use when people were racing on 2 pound brooks saddles for the same reason all pros still use them, comfort.

Freedom of choice!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Are we talking roadies now? I know plenty of mtn bikers who spend long days in the saddle and don't wear bibs at all, with no issues. As for what pro roadies do and why, I long ago gave up on trying to figure that scene out, largely because it doesn't have any applicability for me.
    Pro roadies are a good example because they spend more time in the saddle than anyone and their livelihood depends on staying injury free.

Pro mountain bikers wear them for the same reason.
    I brake for stinkbugs

nimble biker
    did diaper started when road racers use for tour de France?

Jammin' Econo
    The padding is only half of what makes bibs comfortable (for me) the other half is the compression fit which on a good pair of bibs completely eliminates chafing because the fabric is like a second skin and moves with you. With baggies there will always be some movement (friction) between the fabric and skin.
    To clarify, I wear merino briefs under my shorts, which are form fitting and don't create any friction, but are far more breathable than having a big pad between my legs. I'm not just wearing loose shorts.

The end goal is being comfortable and avoiding chafing - some people apparently need lycra and padding to accomplish that, others don't. I don't believe it really has much of anything to do with saddle time - I've put lots of miles in on long days without a problem. Whatever it takes, there is no "right" or "wrong."

mtbr member
    I used to wear padded shorts etc but I gave up on them years ago. If you cycle enough you toughen up and do not need padding and without it you feel cooler. Overall I find it more comfortable without padding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So it's taken 25 posts to get to the real question???.... so now, who rides commando?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    So it's taken 25 posts to get to the real question???.... so now, who rides commando?
    Half the population of Portland...

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Half the population of Portland...
    For the win.

Thread closed.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Nope.. I ride with speedo

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nope.. I ride with speedo
    This him?
    Name:  c21c5d45.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  46.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I ditched padded shorts years ago. Proper saddle choice and adjustment is key. I'm much more comfortable without the padding

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Team _________

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    This him?
    Name:  c21c5d45.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  46.4 KB
    and no helmet too?

mtbr member

I've never ridden ridden with padded shorts

Balls of steel

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Co Springs
    I was thinking the diaper comment was just an 'urban term' for padded shorts.

I'm glad to read this thread here since I've not been on a real long trip and have thus far not done much riding at all without wearing chamois shorts. My bigger rides were in the 20- 35 and 54 miles range but that isn't a common thing for me.
    If I'm not wearing padded cargo shorts, then I'm using lycra/chamois under loose fitting cargo shorts. I got beer belly, 5'10.75 and 175 # Gotta hide the lycra.

I think it's time to consider testing it out as no padding and doing some of my normal rides in the 5 to 15 mile range to see how I do.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Diaper is the right term when the chamois is carrying 500ml of sweat
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

nimble biker
    I tried riding poc armor short without diaper. It feels much better than wearing diaper. I will switch over to shorts without diaper.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Give'er!
    I tried them once and it was awful lol. Walking around the house I felt like a duck and the comfort benifits while on the bike were questionable at best.

noob bikepacker
    i could not even imagine having all of that extra "bulk" in my crotch as I am riding. I usually ride between 2-4 hours at a time. I do experience "saddle ass" on the day after a ride, especially if I have not ridden for a while, but never enough to keep me off the bike.

I do also spend some time just standing on the pedals when I ride, especially going downhill.
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm mixed. I'll usually switch to a padded liner at around 40 miles of ride length, but I've done much longer rides without them and been fine. Depends on the saddle, too. I have Selle Anatomica on most of my bikes now and I can go longer without using the padded shorts, but if I think I'm going to be bounced around a lot I'll throw them on.

I prefer the more minimal ones, the REI Coop brand of liners are actually pretty nice - the padding isn't very thick, but still absorbs sweat well, and the panels breathe well. Not something I wear all the time, but a nice tool to have.

mtbr member
    I did 2 hours at 100f+ in just shorts last week. The seam on my "dry" tech boxers sawed into my taint and thigh.

I'm not forgetting my bike shorts anymore. They do make thin chamois shorts as well, I think they're very comfortable.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I did 2 hours at 100f+ in just shorts last week. The seam on my "dry" tech boxers sawed into my taint and thigh.

I'm not forgetting my bike shorts anymore. They do make thin chamois shorts as well, I think they're very comfortable.
    They also make shorts that don't have a seam right on your taint.