Sweep the leg!

Nike shoes smell like A$$

I've had many shoes over the years but none have had this problem. The Nikes I bought this spring smell awful. I've washed them several times. I've sprayed the soles with an enzyme treatment which works on things up to and including cat piss. My Answer shoes never smell and of the 3 pairs of Shimano shoes I've owned none of them smelled either.

None of my road shoes past or present stink either.

WTF?

It gets so bad that unless I seal them in a plastic bag in the trunk, by the time I get to the trails I'm begging for air.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions short of replacing otherwise good shoes?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Write toNike complaining, make a copy of your sales reciept.

Freshly Fujified

One idea

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Any suggestions short of replacing otherwise good shoes?
    Try wearing them on your FEET! (sorry...couldn't resist). Only thing that comes to mind are charcoal based insoles and/or disinfecting them immediately after a ride, but it sounds like you have already tried somethimng similar with the enzyme. Could it just be the materials??

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Now that you mention it, my ass does smell like a Poobah.

mtbr member
    It gets so bad that unless I seal them in a plastic bag in the trunk, by the time I get to the trails I'm begging for air.
    Two things: First, legit riders ride to the trails. This would solve your smelly car problem.
    Second: everything I ride with smells bad. My gloves smell horrible, my helmet pads smell the same, and my socks will make you throw up. I'm not even going to mention my shoes.

Keep all the smelly stuff in the garage, you don't need to smell it that often.

mtbr member
    not shoe treatment, but it might work... i occasionally coat (heavily) my hockey skates in baby powder (i don't wear socks, so lots of sweat + skin buildups and random junk is rotting in there). its a temporary fix, but it helps for a while. ive usually do it when my skates are saturated in sweat, so the powder sticks to the side. pain in the ass to clean out! Baby powder isn't too hard on the leather in the skate, so i would assume its safe on expensive shoes. no promises but it may be worth a shot. I used gold bond powder once..big mistake. feet burned every time i skated for a few weeks.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

Members who have read this thread: 0