mtbr member

Newb seeking advice on first spd shoes

Hi gurus! I have bought new dual pedals. I look forward to installing it on my bike... that is if I would be able to take the old one off! It's kind of stuck!

Back to topic...I am currently looking for a nice pair of mtb clipless shoes. I wanted something that won't break my pocket and not look alien'ish. I discovered the Shimano SH-MT33L. I tried to fit some sizes at REI. Strange thing is, a size 44 has allowance space from tip of toe to front of shoe while a size 43 is a snug fit but too tight on the width. The store attendant told me that it should be snug but needs allowance because the foot expands while biking.

What are your says on this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by littlebadboy; 05-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.

DFMBA.org
    Might want to visit your local Trek dealer and try on some Bontragers. I use the mid-priced version ($150) and you can get custom insoles if you wish. They're super comfortable and breathe really well.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Thank you for your reply CCMTB! But, $150 for a shoe is not an option for me now.

May inquiry is actually on what is the fit that I should consider in buying shoes. Should a little clearance on the toes be okay? Or, should my foot be snuggly fit into the shoe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Optimally, you'll want to try on the shoe right after running around/using your feet for an hour or two. That way it is already swollen (and won't get any bigger). I like a fit like a running shoe, with a tiny bit of wiggle room in the toe box.

If you had to buy them without doing the above, I would lean towards the 44. You can also do very well around the LBS looking for older 'models' of shoes. They will be significantly cheaper, and you can get higher quality without the current year's price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Optimally, you'll want to try on the shoe right after running around/using your feet for an hour or two. That way it is already swollen (and won't get any bigger). I like a fit like a running shoe, with a tiny bit of wiggle room in the toe box.

If you had to buy them without doing the above, I would lean towards the 44. You can also do very well around the LBS looking for older 'models' of shoes. They will be significantly cheaper, and you can get higher quality without the current year's price.
    Thank you! 44 shall it be!

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
    Thank you for your reply CCMTB! But, $150 for a shoe is not an option for me now.

May inquiry is actually on what is the fit that I should consider in buying shoes. Should a little clearance on the toes be okay? Or, should my foot be snuggly fit into the shoe?
    My MTB shoes fit more snugly than my other shoes. I was between sizes but the sales guy suggested the smaller size and he was right.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    I have some sette shoes I got them for $55 online at pricepoint. They are awesome! At first they were tight and made my toes numb, now I have 80 miles on them, they are fine. Get leather shoes wet and wear them until dry and they will fit to your foot
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I picked up some new Shimanos on eBay for $35 and have no complaints. I question sizing the same as running shoes (which I have a multitude of being a marathon runner). Biking doesn't pound the feet like running does and I find a running shoe size is about 1/2 size too large for the bike.

mtbr member
    I got some shimano mt087's in 43 wide about a month ago. I was in the same size situation exactly! So far, so good. Done some serious hiking in them too, as in "I don't want to go back the way I came so...!"
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...

mtbr member
    To give you guys an update... I found out that my usual shoe size is 44. I like to have a little toe wiggling space. For my first spd shoes, I took my chances on going down a size. I got a 43. When it arrived and tried it on, I was worried because it was kind of tight. I've been using it a couple of times already and it is actually comfortable! I'm still finding the best position of the cleats right now but totally enjoying it!

Thank you everyone!

maniacal laugh
    I agree it's a good idea to go to a shop and try a few different types to find the right size for you. i am glad you found something

I noticed a few posts up that some bought theirs on eBay - I friggen love eBay. Almost everything I have for bike gear I got off ebay. I ended up with a nice pair of Sidi shoes, which is a great brand, but they can get kind of expensive. But i got a great deal on mine, and I love them.

It's good to try different brands on to find out what it is that YOU prefer. If you find that you have expensive taste - perhaps do a little research to find a comparable inexpensive brand. (Note I said inexpensive, and not "cheap". There is a difference!) Ebay is great for deals though -

mtbr member
    Definitely a difference! It's all about value...
    I live in my head...

Just having fun... Sorry to piss you off...