Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New Sidi Dominator MTB Shoes- what a joke

so...i got my 6th pair of sidis today. always 43. been riding them for 18 years.

two major isues.

1. whats up with the mesh! cooling mesh inserts. holy crap. leather please. what a terrible design. i dont live in the fricking desert. northeast version please.

2. 43's dont fit. toebox is really big and major heel slippage.

anyone else not happy with the current sidi lineup of dominator MTB shoes?ps. i LOVE my sidi's hostorically but this is really a shift in my expierence with these primo designed shoes that are the gold standard. maybe time to try those specializeds everyone talks about?
    Attached Images Attached Images

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I saw a story on Gaerne recently---maybe in the latest Velonews? Anyway their story and featured mtb shoe looks sweet. 350 bones though I believe--ugh. My el cheapo 80 buck izumi pearls are doing just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    $269 for sidis are about my cieling. the dragons are outrageous and nobody in their right mind needs those.

$350!!! for gaerne!? better be gold.

mtbr member
    i switched to specialized shoes last year and find them much better. had previously had sidis for 10+ years.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just got those a couple months ago, but mine must have been last years model. No mesh. I used to have specialized but found they are too tight in the lateral aspect of the shoe and make the outside of my foot fall asleep. But I have found that the new bongtrager shoes are really really comfortable. I only bought the SIDI because chainreactioncycles had them on super sale for $150 and the bongtragers were $165.

Gave up on Sidis (several gens of Dominators and first SRS) long ago, but I do remember my shoes being more summer appropriate than winter appropriate in any case (which worked well for me in that sense). Try looking at Lake shoes as well, have both summer and winter shoes, at more reasonable prices with good features; possibly not as fine fitting as a good Italian shoe tends to be.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Gave up on Sidis (several gens of Dominators and first SRS) long ago, but I do remember my shoes being more summer appropriate than winter appropriate in any case (which worked well for me in that sense). Try looking at Lake shoes as well, have both summer and winter shoes, at more reasonable prices with good features; possibly not as fine fitting as a good Italian shoe tends to be.
    lake is a brand to watch. i think they will really catch on over the next year or so. lots being invested in them...

Yep, Veltec I was told recently took a majority position in Lake, so apparently feels somewhat the same way since they're the Sidi distributor currently http://www.allbusiness.com/company-a...2832994-1.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Wear a neoprene sock. I did it for temps under 40 with my Sidi Genius...

No. Just No. Moderator
    Yep, Veltec I was told recently took a majority position in Lake, so apparently feels somewhat the same way since they're the Sidi distributor currently http://www.allbusiness.com/company-a...2832994-1.html
    Funny, in that my collection of shoes is about half Sidi (3 pairs), and half Lake (4 pairs), and one pair Shimano to round things out. For the lightweight race slippers I still prefer the Sidis (although I do have a set of the top end heat moldable Lake race shoes) but for all my trail riding shoes and winter cycling boots I think Lake makes great stuff.

Extra Crispy
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    $269 for sidis are about my cieling. the dragons are outrageous and nobody in their right mind needs those.

$350!!! for gaerne!? better be gold.
    Lake has a pair for $490.
    Now with eggs.

I just let one RIP
    Veltec is no longer going to be carrying Sidi, according to our Veltec rep. Now shops will have to order from "Sidi America."
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    lake is a brand to watch. i think they will really catch on over the next year or so. lots being invested in them...
    I've been hearing that since the mid-90s. Lake historically comes out with some great shoes then will have delivery/supply problems. Finally they solve that and then change something in the shoe for the next year that everybody liked. I just wish they stopped shooting themselves in the foot every time they make it to the top of the heap.

Stiff yet compliant
    $490 for a pair of shoes? F'me. For that price, I expect a post-ride massage and BJ to be included.

Specialized shoes are nice. Comfy, no hot spots (even on my small Frogs), fits well without any chafing. Ok, so no massage and BJs, but I can source that elsewhere.

V.
    EMD9, drop-bar Bandersnatch, Surly LHT, a couple of Ridleys
    ... and a lot more bruises than can be counted

I Ride Alone
    Sidis come in Three Widths and half sizes (euro).
    So quit whining and find the pair that fits, no other shoe offers more sizes.
    The insoles are meant to be replaced, try some heat moldable insoles.
    The Dominator 6 has the adjustable heel cup fixes the heel slip.

Dominator 5's are like $150 at Chain reaction, dragons about $250.
    The Sidis are a race shoe and really just a heavy road shoe.
    Thats what you get.
    The Lone Rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thats just egrigious- making people think a mtb shoe should cost that much. for chicks and heels maybe they can try to pull the wool over them but for a mtb shoe. does it make you go faster?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    oh ruger. what you dont know.....

mtbr member
    Specialized shoes for me. Incredible stiffness, comfortable, great locking mechanism.

Single Speed Junkie
    [QUOTE=vkalia]$490 for a pair of shoes? F'me. For that price, I expect a post-ride massage and BJ to be included.[QUOTE]

With those shoes I think I'd ride more often.... (Guess that depends upon the support crew though as well)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I, too, have given up on SIdi. The soles peal off and they are priced too high. The SRS system is also a huge joke.

mtbr member
    Summary:

You bought shoes that didn't fit and you somehow didn't notice the mesh while buying them and are now mad and think they are a horrible company.

Or you did notice they didn't fit and had mesh and that you didn't like them and for some reason got them anyway?

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    I just got those a couple months ago, but mine must have been last years model. No mesh. I used to have specialized but found they are too tight in the lateral aspect of the shoe and make the outside of my foot fall asleep. But I have found that the new bongtrager shoes are really really comfortable. I only bought the SIDI because chainreactioncycles had them on super sale for $150 and the bongtragers were $165.
    Lol. Bongtragers.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

OnTheTrailAgain
    Looking towards Sidis for RBing, but for MTBing, because my Shimano MT41's have served me well (for both RB & MTBing), for the upcoming cold/wet weather riding, I'm looking at MT60's (which are waterproof/Gore-Tex).

It'll be either MT60's or a pair of actual boots (most likely by Lake).
    [open to any suggestions for cold weather snow/ice MTB SPD compatible boots. ]

For me, I like MTB shoes I can trek in (climb with, carry my bike with, generally, an overbuilt low-cut hiking boot type).

But, having tried on a pair of Bontrager shoes, I found them to be the only comfortable pair for my feet and if I considered anything besides the pair I'm riding with now for MTBing, I'd give them a shot. They get great reviews from the MTB rags and at around $140., are priced about as high as I'd go for a pair of MTB shoes for warm weather XC/light trail use.

[Update: Scrap the MT60's! Shimano has a pair of MT90's now!
    Granted, their only in Europe, but hey, I had to order my MT41's from there, so be it! ]
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 09-30-2009 at 05:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Moved from Dominators to Specializeds...better fit with less heel slippage and foot movement.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by karpiel666
    Summary:

You bought shoes that didn't fit and you somehow didn't notice the mesh while buying them and are now mad and think they are a horrible company.

Or you did notice they didn't fit and had mesh and that you didn't like them and for some reason got them anyway?
    Well said.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast