Ouch, I am hot!

New Helmet and AZ Heat

I was thinking of buying a Giro Xen because I hear it has better protection. Honestly, I really would like a full face cone up there with a face/chin guard, but the heat would be out of control. The "light" plastic full facers with the flimsy looking chin guards don't look like they are up to the task. I even hear the chin guards on these things smash upon impact causing further damage to your grill. Thus, unless somewone can convince me otherwise, no full face for me and my type of riding - XC. The Xen looks good and states to offer more coverage in the rear, but it is expensive and I have a perfectly functioning Giro Havoc. So, should I drop the $100 or so for the Xen? I tried one on at the shop and it was very very comfy. What about the heat factor compared to the other XC helmets? AZClyde? You got one, right? What about the Giro Semi MX? Looks like a hot helmet too, as in temperature.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Glutton for punishment

Seems Ok.

I picked up a Xen online for about $80 + $s/h a couple weeks ago. 5 rides later and I think it's great. We really haven't had a lot of heat so far, but I haven't felt too warm on the rides I've done. I noticed that because it's lighter and fits better than my old one, it really seems like it's not there. All in all a good helmet.

SN

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I have a perfectly functioning Giro Havoc. So, should I drop the $100 or so for the Xen?
    Uh...no...you answered your own damn question.

You don't need it. The incremental protection just isn't enough to warrant it. If you biff real bad, you're gonna be wishing for the FF.

If you've got money to burn, get or build up a frigging SS once and for all, will ya?
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

Xen

I have a XEN,and can vouch for the fact that it is a helmet. The XEN replaced a Giro Gila, which had lost most of its pads, and smelled like old socks. I like the XEN, and I am glad that it looks less festive than most helments, but I can not tell that much of a difference. My answer is wait until your old helmet smells like dirty socks.

For a full face helmet, my son wears a fox motorcycle helmet on the bmx track. I would die wearing it, but he's young and thinks his dad knows everything. I concluded (for him) if you were justified in wearing a full face, you needed one that would take some abuse.

MTBR Mafia
    take my advice and go for the FF if you are doing anything besides easy xc
    All Mountain was so 2005

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I What about the Giro Semi MX? Looks like a hot helmet too, as in temperature.
    I had one last year, here in prescott. WAY too damn hot. It's black (bad), it has poor ventilation (bad) and the sweat dam seems to just POUR all at once. I wouldn't recommend this helmet. I'm MUCH happier with an E2.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Steep Hill
    Yes Geoff, I have a Xen.

Since I have a big head I found it to be the best fit for me. I know some who swear by FF helmets for XC riding, helmets like the Switchblade. I don't believe it enough to spend more AND have a flimsy piece of plastic over my mouth. I am not confident that additional plastic would do much. Besides, how would I get my bug protein?

Xen is a big helmet. The overhang would probably protect you in case of a header. It is slightly less cool than other helmets...but I'd buy it again. I see Performance has it for $79.

Good Luck deciding!

S
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    take my advice and go for the FF if you are doing anything besides easy xc
    I am not sure what easy XC entails, but I agree that the FF is by far the best safety device I could buy. Nonetheless, the heat/weight factor is such a big issue that I just don't see myself going FF until I break my jaw or bust up my mouth. Did something like that happen to you?

Walt - addressing your comments, if the Xen offers even the smallest increase in protection without pushing the heat level over the edge of acceptance, I would pony up. Looks like I will be doing that. Now, what color to get - blue, silver, white, red, bronze, camo, eh?
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a Xen. It's pretty comfortable and fairly light (if that matters to you, doesn't to me). I couldn't imagine wearing a full face helmet in the summer around here; I had steam coming from my Arai GP at PIR this time last year. You'd die if you were doing anything more strenuous than drivng a car with one of those things...

I can also assure you that no full face helmet that is both light, "cool" and cheap will NOT give you the protection you think you're gonna get from it. I think most mtb ff helmets are more novelty than function...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just read an article in MBA about helmets. The FF bike helmets, for DH, have the same safety standards as regular bike helmets. Can you imagine doing a DH at say 30mph with a regular bike helmet, and crashing on rocks? That is what riders are doing except adding the FF. The article said a DHer should wear a motorsport helmet(read: heavy and hot). Better than having scrambled brains!

Rita

MTBR Mafia
    Even if these FF are a "novelty" or not that strong, they will still be good for protecting the sking on the face in the event of a sub 30 mph run.
    All Mountain was so 2005