Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new gloves

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Stinky Wiz 
#1 ·
i know this is a weak topic and everything but is there a difference between mountain bike gloves and mx gloves becuase fox has a pair of gloves i like (same price as normal mtb gloves) but is there any differences?

#5 ·
red5 said:
not really. these, ROCKGARDN Fate Glove, work very well for both. I know a few peeps who use them for DH and MX.

man that armour would be nice to have sometimes...I run the answer accerators...very lightwieght, breath very good, last about 6 months and breath very well

#9 ·
MTBdave said:
there's probably not that big of a difference, maybe only that MX gloves will be thicker. Its just up to your preferance of how they feel and if it's what you're looking for. What model were you thinking of anyways...?
i really like the look of this pair, except i might look pretty goofy on a orange and black stinky so maybe the rockgardens if i can find them cheaper

Attachments

#12 ·
Fox

I just got the Fox wrap around gloves. Last year's model on sale, $29.99. Not too heavy and the wrap is good protection.
I guess it depends what kind of riding you're going to do. I have 661 Nasty gloves for trail riding.

#14 ·
Nemesis Project "Fist of Fury"

austinb89 said:
i know this is a weak topic and everything but is there a difference between mountain bike gloves and mx gloves becuase fox has a pair of gloves i like (same price as normal mtb gloves) but is there any differences?
Here's a few pic's of our new hardcore MTB and fighting glove the fist of fury !

Get gloves that arfe designed arounf mountain bike riding , as well as supporting a small company !
Fox has waaaaay too much cash already , and there gloves look like a spacecadet should be wearing them .

MX gloves hold up O.K. but have way too much padding and cost tons , GP bike gloves feel the best but are too overbuilt !
Oakleys are great if they lasted more than one day at Northstar ! So check these out everybody who had ridden them likes them alot .

Attachments

#15 ·
Seems to me taht it all depends on how 'core' you want to go. I ride with Mecahnix M-Pact gloves that I bought at an auto parts store. Thy're tough and I can still use my fingers. I always found the carbon shell type gloves (like the Rockgardns) to be too bulky for my taste. There's all kinds of stuff out there. Non-sport specific items, like gloves, tend to cost a lot more for less when they are marketed by biking companies. IMO.

#16 ·
Also, if you check out HomeDepot, in the tools section they sell several work-type gloves that look and feel exactly like MTB-specific gloves...for about $20. Nice non-space cadet solid colors, stretch fabric with padded knuckles, minimal padding in the palm for good bar feel, and they seem well stitched in the right places. I'm going to try 'em next, since my current pair is about done. For the money you can't go too wrong. :D

Over the years I've learned that it hasn't seemed to matter how expensive the glove is, they all pretty much detonate after a season or two, tops. Faster the more I go over the bars. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
i just use fox xc gloves for xtra grip

no need for all the armor thatll make ur hands sweaty and get warts, ew.......... :p

unlike shin gards and elbow pads that can actually save some bones from being broken, gloves wont do the same. if ur gonna break ur hands, ur gonna break em, the armor wont help much... if ur just usein gloves so ur hands wont get scratched up, xc gloves do the same and are much less sweat inducing

#22 ·
I have the BMW gloves and they only lasted me 3 months. They were way too thick and bulky and just didn't feel good at all. I just got a pair of fox digits and they seem weak but they are thin and tight and comfortable just like a glove should be. Go for Fox gloves if your looking for a pefect fit.

#23 ·
I just test-rode my new Rockgardn's & I have to say that I am stoked! :D

Just after a little rain so there were some freshly modified ruts, wet rocks & half-downed limbs from trees. I came swinging around a fast corner & a 4" diameter branch had fallen over the right half of the line I was on, I slammed my hand into it & highsided into some super-cushiony embankment. I felt an explosion of pressure as the branch hit my three rightmost fingers & pinched them between it & the h-bar, but between my fingernails & the hard-casing over the rest my hand was saved what would have at least amounted to a great deal of pain.

Sometimes things just work out just right...I was almost hoping to test the shell & an "oportunity" just marched right in.

I originally bought them to fend off the spines of some wicked weed I can't ever recall feeling so much of. It worked like a charm for that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.