mtbr member
    May 2010

New to Clipless, Have Pedals, Shoes?

I ordered a pair of CB Candy 2's and am wondering what shoes would be compatible with them? I was looking at the Sette Element MTB's. Thanks.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyrmike View Post
    I ordered a pair of CB Candy 2's and am wondering what shoes would be compatible with them? I was looking at the Sette Element MTB's. Thanks.
    All shoes with the standard 2 bolt mounting will fit with your cleats. The Settes would work fine.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Pretty much every shoe I have looked at has the 2 bolt. Gave you some reps.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyrmike View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Pretty much every shoe I have looked at has the 2 bolt. Gave you some reps.
    No problem. The only time you'll run into an alternative bolt pattern is if you're looking at road shoes; and that should be pretty clear by just looking at the traction on the soles.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

bi-winning
    Wow, $55 is a very low price for SPD shoes.

Personally, I really like to try on a shoe before purchasing though, which is not possible with when ordering online. Different brands fit differently in the same stated size. Reading the reviews, I've seen some saying they run big, some saying they run small, and some saying they are true to size. I guess everybody has a different reference point.

So, if you want to save money, go for the Sette shoes, and understand that there is a chance you may need to return them if the fit is not right.

If you can swing spending a few $ more, head down to a local shop, try some shoes on, and buy ones that fit great.

As you've seen, all SPD style MTB shoes use the same bolt hole pattern, so you don't need to worry about compatibility.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's my issue, the few bikes shops near me did not have much in stock. I did like the Bontrager Race Mountains but they didn't fit. The 42 was too small, and the 43 had my heel slipping... they don't make half sizes in them. I checked with the places I would be ordering from online and you can return them no problem if they don't fit.

What day are we riding?
    I would recommend practicing in on a grass field somewhere before you try them on the trail. It helps to get used to getting out of the pedals before your riding forces the issue.

What day are we riding?
    I would recommend practicing in on a grass field somewhere before you try them on the trail. It helps to get used to getting out of the pedals before your riding forces the issue.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Plan on it haha... or maybe when I take my son to gymboree I can ride around on the bouncy mats!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    definitely try them on first. If you can look at zappo.com free shipping both ways. I ordered 5 pairs of shoes in diff sizes and settled on one and returned the rest couldnt be easier. ,

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks guys, I actually found a pair of bontrager race mountains at a local shop that fit. I thought they were a little small but the guy explained they need to fit snug, not like sneakers.