mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Need suggestions on winter riding pants

I have been using standard road style tights in recent years for commuting and MTBing in the winter. I do a fair amount of rain, mud and muck riding, and I have a fat bike now, so I will be adding to that snow and more foul-weather fun.

I am looking for ideas for riding pants that would be rain- and windproof but would not be skin-tight like road pants and would go over the top of my Lake boots. Right now, I am resorting to gaiters to cover the gap between pants and boots. This is a hassle, and I know there are better options out there.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    I have been using standard road style tights in recent years for commuting and MTBing in the winter. I do a fair amount of rain, mud and muck riding, and I have a fat bike now, so I will be adding to that snow and more foul-weather fun.

I am looking for ideas for riding pants that would be rain- and windproof but would not be skin-tight like road pants and would go over the top of my Lake boots. Right now, I am resorting to gaiters to cover the gap between pants and boots. This is a hassle, and I know there are better options out there.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Think Great Britain and mud, wet, cold to check out some nice clothing you can order online from Chain Reaction...

Endura*Pants - Cycle | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Those look fantastic. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I live in Scotland and shorts are a no no 7-8 months of the year...I wear the Endura singletracks...they've got stretchy panels so very comfy. Not water proof though. I tend to put light waterproof trousers (by Mountain Equipment) over the top of them to keep me warm and dry on the descent (get more wet from the trail on the descent than on the climb). Then I take the mountain equips off for the climb back up (they zip all the way down...from waist to boot...so no need to take shoes off) so I don't overheat inside them...this gives the Enduras fresh air and time to dry out again if they have collected moisture...
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    REI makes some pretty good stuff for the money (their in house cycling brand is Novara), and if you try it for a couple months and don't like it, they have a great return policy. I have the headwind pants and really like them, but they aren't really waterproof, more of a softshell type material.

These two look like they'd fit the bill for what you want, but I have no personal experience with them:
    Novara Express 2.0 Bike Pants - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

Novara Stratos 2.0 Bike Pants - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thanks for those suggestions. The road tights I had been wearing are Novara. They held up well and were very wind proof, but I want a different style now, something with room and that go down over my boots. I will try out those Novara pants you suggested. I hadn't even thought about REI.

BTW, Foxwear NeoShell rain pants are being discussed in that other thread in this forum. They look great but are custom and spendy -- $150.

http://foxwear.net/clothing/rain-gear/

I could see eventually saving for a full rain setup made of that material, which would probably last for years. But $300 for jacket and pants is beyond me right now.

As for Scotland -- wow is all I can say. I follow gowherescotlandmtb on Instagram, and he posts lots of pix of their trips and rides. Looks so beautiful and rugged up there, with huge views everywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just put some nylon wind pants over my tights, keeps the snow off me and out of my boots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    i was going to start a new thread, but since this one has already been started, i'll post here. i'm in the same boat as the OP only i'm in phoenix, az. not as cold in the winter here as other places and it doesn't snow and barely rains. it does get pretty windy and chilly during the winter months here and i was looking for some thermal pants suggestions that are fairly tight (so that they don't wrap around my crankset while i ride) and comfortable and wind proof. are the Novara ones pretty good for that? thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by konoplya View Post
    i was going to start a new thread, but since this one has already been started, i'll post here. i'm in the same boat as the OP only i'm in phoenix, az. not as cold in the winter here as other places and it doesn't snow and barely rains. it does get pretty windy and chilly during the winter months here and i was looking for some thermal pants suggestions that are fairly tight (so that they don't wrap around my crankset while i ride) and comfortable and wind proof. are the Novara ones pretty good for that? thanks.
    Yeah, the Novara Headwind pants are perfect for that. I'm on the east coast so it's much wetter here, but I just don't go out in the rain so I basically use them in the same conditions you would, cold and dry. If they are too warm for your conditions, running pants with a narrow ankle (most of the ones I've seen are like this) might be another good bet.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by konoplya View Post
    If you feel like spending the $$, Ibex makes some really nice winter clothes, and has a cycling-specific line. The El Fito tights, for example. I have a pair of their mid-weight tights that I bought as an insulating layer for lift-served skiing, and they're really nice. It's hard to beat quality technical wool. Worth looking for sales with Ibex, though. Premium quality, and premium prices.

When I ride during the winter, I usually wear the same softshell pants I use for XC skiing. In my case they're Cloudveil Serendipity pants, made with Schoeller Dryskin.
    Last edited by evasive; 12-09-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.