mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Need some help with shoes

Well I just started riding a couple months ago and really enjoying myself. What I would like is if someone could recommend a shoe. Im not ready to clip in yet. I just find with the current sport sneaker im wearing I dont get good grip on the pedal in wet conditions. Also the base of the shoe is kind of wide in the rear. Sometimes when my feet are close to the crank on the pedal the rear of my shoe will hit the crank. hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance

Tony

Probably drunk right now

You're correct...

Quote Originally Posted by miztic1
    Well I just started riding a couple months ago and really enjoying myself. What I would like is if someone could recommend a shoe. Im not ready to clip in yet. I just find with the current sport sneaker im wearing I dont get good grip on the pedal in wet conditions. Also the base of the shoe is kind of wide in the rear. Sometimes when my feet are close to the crank on the pedal the rear of my shoe will hit the crank. hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance

Tony

Wet, rubber soled shoes are slippery. You'll likely slip regardless of shoe if your soles are wet and you're not clipped in.

My suggestion is to try on several different SPD compatible, rubber soled bike shoes at your local shop. This will give you a pair of shoes that you will have the option of going clipless with, should you decide to go that route in the future.

mtbr member
    check out shimanos non SPD shoes.

mtbr member
    If your looking to stay with platform pedals you have a couple options, depending upon your budget.

When the subject of platform shoes comes up, Five Tens are bar none one of the best platform shoes in terms of grip. Even without a stellar set of pedals, you can feel the difference. They are one of the more expensive platform shoes out there though running around $90 - $100.

Other people around here use Vans or some other style of flat bottom shoe. I can't personally comment on how well they work, because I went straight from a trail running type shoe to 5.10's.

If you really want to improve your level of grip, you might want to look at a new set of pedals, in which there is a huge selection of good quality pedals, it simply comes down to how much you want to spend.

For the record I use Wellgo MG-1's with Five Ten Impact 2's and I find the level of grip between wet and dry conditions around the same.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thank you for all the info.