mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Need opinions on MX helmets -

OK, so my old bucket is pretty raggard, and I figure that the extra weight of a real MX DOT legal helmet is worth it for the way most of us ride. Which helmets do people like? any ones to avoid? Thanks for your help...

mtbr member
    If you have the $ get a SHOEI, they rule and breath fairly well. I think they go for around $400 or so, it is probabley worth spending the extra $ and get the ones with graphics! The new Tro Lee MX looks good, but SHOEI in general rule. Keep in mind that when moving slow like under 10 mph it feels like you have a towel wrapped around your head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a HJC (ACX-1) helmet and it ROCKS.
    It is about the same weight as the "bling" helmets, but a lot cheaper.
    You can get their top of the line helmet for only $200!!

I think they now have the ACX-2 but it is pretty much teh same as the ACX-1, but a little lighter.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharcsplean
    OK, so my old bucket is pretty raggard, and I figure that the extra weight of a real MX DOT legal helmet is worth it for the way most of us ride. Which helmets do people like? any ones to avoid? Thanks for your help...
    I love my Fox Tracer. It fits my (oblong) head shape perfectly, doesn't seem heavy, looks good (mine is silver/black), and isn't super expensive.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=01028262F.jpg

mtbr member
    Oh yeah look at the insides of the various helmets, by taking the linings out. You will be suprised to see that alot are made by 1 company, and they make ones that are almost the same as their own but with other companies logos on them and then sell them for less!!

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Don't get anything Snell rated. They're designed for impacts much harder than you will ever see in mountain biking, and will actually protect your head less in crashes than a regular DOT helmet.

Here's a great article about MC helmets, which explains what the different certifications mean and why they are important:

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Caballo, you might want to ask Johnny Waddell about helmet choice and if downhillers can benefit from the protection of a DOT rated MX helmet.

I've worn a number of moto helmets (both for MTB and for moto), and the Troy Lee SE helmet has the best ventilation, light weight, and fit of the brands I've tried. I had an O'Neal a few years ago that fit great, but the ventilation wasn't so cool (pardon the pun). I have heard good things about the new Fox V3 helmet as well, but haven't had a chance to try one myself. Shoei helmets, while being relatively light and giving you credit amongst MX superstars, actually don't have the "advanced" (in quotes because bicycle helmets have had it for years) channel venting that the TLD helmet has.
    [SIZE=2]
    www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334
    [/SIZE]

interesting article.

I've got an Oneal 548, which doens't have any vents if you're realistic about it, but for going down hills it's fine. Cheap too. If I had DI (disposable income) I'd probably check out some TLD helmets.

Riding dirt since 1970

I've tried several MX lids...

...and love my Shoei VFX Air. It's not as light and vented as my Vigor Vamoose, but it does inspire more confidence. My head shape fits Bell products, as well as the Shoei. I picked up a VFX cue ball for under $400. Put your cash into quility first, bling graphics second.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    Caballo, you might want to ask Johnny Waddell about helmet choice and if downhillers can benefit from the protection of a DOT rated MX helmet.
    Can you explain what you mean? I know he wrecked hard enough to put himself into a coma (from which he emerged, fortunately), but I don't know what helmet he was wearing or what that choice may have had to do with his injuries.

The main thrust of the article (as I understand it) is that for most survivable accidents, DOT-rated helmets will actually protect your head better than Snell-rated helmets. Here's a good summary of their point about the Snell standard:

"Over the last 30 years," continues Newman, "we've come to the realization that people falling off motorcycles hardly ever, ever hit their head in the same place twice. So we have helmets that are designed to withstand two hits at the same site. But in doing so, we have severely, severely compromised their ability to take one hit and absorb energy properly."
    [...]
    "Because there's this allure, this charisma, this image associated with a Snell sticker that says, 'Hey, this is a better helmet, and therefore must be worth a whole lot more money.' And in spite of the very best intentions of everybody at Snell, they did not have the field data [on actual accidents] that we have now [when they devised the standard]. And although that data has been around a long time, they have chosen, at this point, not to take it into consideration."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Does anyone know about the M2R helmets?

Thanks for everyones' input. I think I am going to get the m2r helmet. it is snell and dot rate and weighs 2 lbs-6oz for a medium. and it's not overpriced like a shoei. it seems like a reasonable deal. has anyone delt with this comapny? thanks

Custom User Title

Shoei

You can't go wrong with Shoei. Arai is really good too.