mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Need new shoes and pedals. HELP

This is my first post so please excuse any errors I make. I recently bought a Rockhopper 29er and have been loving riding the local trails in south east Michigan. I have been using my workout shoes, which are pretty stiff. But a few of my buddies swear by using clipins/clipless (i dont know the terminology). Well yesterday I was out riding and smashed my pedal on a rock and its just a stub now. I am thinking I should invest in clipin pedals and shoes. I want to get something decent but not break the bank. I have no idea of what sites to look on or what is good or bad. I am looking for any advice on what I should be looking for and where to find the best deal. The local bike shop wants around $150.00 for shoes and pedals. They did not give me the make or anything just a price.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated

Edit: Found these shoes and pedals on the "hot deals" page. Are they compatible and are they decent/worth the purchase.

Wellgo M094B Mtn Clipless Pedals | Wellgo
    Sette Element Mountain Shoe | Sette

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi, my name is Kevin, I live in North Carolina.. I have ridden for several years, and would say the shoes may be ok, but would pass on the Wellgo pedals..
    I like you bought the cheapest pedals and shoes I could buy back in '97..
    Once I rode a few times I found I should have done my "homework" a little better... I quickly saved up my money for a pair of Shimano pedals, which I rode for nearly 5yrs! The mechanism that Shimano uses just pain works..
    Sense you have a Specialized bike, try looking for their brand shoes.. I have a pair myself, and really like the feel.
    I am currently riding Crank Brothers Candy1 pedals, and really like them... simple, and they shed mud and debris better then any others IMO

Just my 2cents worth...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you for the advice it is very much appreciated. I did quite a bit more research and took some advice from the guys at the bike shop. I ended up with these pedals
    Shimano PD-M540 Pedals > Components > Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA
    and these Specialezed shoes. (they were a closeout 2013 model for $60.00)
    Specialized Bicycle Components

I am looking forward to texting eveything out this week. I plan on riding around a big grassy field for a while and taking my first few falls there.

mtbr member
    You can never go wrong with shimano pedals or shoes. They will disappear under you in no time.