Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need New Shoes! I Ride Platform Pedals. Help Me Help Me

7K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  GhostRing 
#1 ·
I've been riding platform pedals for the last 2 years, now, and won't switch back to clipless.

I need a decent shoe for the type of riding that I do: long XC rides.

Before you chime in about clipless being better for that, I have knee issues, and don't like mtbing attached to the bike. I do a lot of trekking up hills, pushing my bike, too, exploring places.

I've been using a new balance running shoe, but it's getting old. Way too old.

What do you think?

#10 ·
I hear this come up very often.
I too am interested in the Impacts- so are they chunky like a hiking shoe?
I typically wear Merrells Moabs as my daily shoes, are the Impacts a similar bulk or more?
That I can deal with, but I couldn't do more...

#8 ·
Definitely 5.10's.

I have Marzocchi Bombers which are re-badged versions of the Impact 2's. Same design, same Stealth sole except it doesnt have the Raptor tongue. These shoes are very grippy on pinned pedals. I use them with Crank Bros 50/50XX and Sun Ringle Octane pedals.

Unlike skate shoes (I have used Vans) which are very flexy, the 5.10's have enough stiffness for good power transfer but not too stiff that walking is awkward. Your foot wont slip off the pedals either, adjusting your foot placement on the pedal requires you to unweight your foot.

Drawbacks are unlike hiking shoes, running shoes and cycling shoes, 5.10's are hot to wear. There are holes on the shoes for "ventilation" but lack any mesh panels. They are also clunky and heavy and gets worse when wet. They also take a looong time to dry.

They are stylish enough to walk around in like at a post-ride meal/socializing. No more forgetting to bring separate shoes.

I wish 5.10's would design a shoe with mesh panels for better breathability or hot weather riding then it would be perfect. And maybe add lace keepers so the damn laces dont get chewed up by the chainrings.

#16 ·
Wow learn to google maybe? I quick google search would tell you that 5.10s rock and they're pretty much the most popular shoes when choosing to ride flats.. I know cuz I just went through the whole research process for the right shoe/pedal combination and googling told me everything right away, esp for shoes.

I just got 5.10 Freeriders and they're awesome.

#21 ·
I have freeriders but Asics Gel Attack 6 trailrunners or current model are lighter,breath better in hot weather and have gel under heel and forefoot. The 5.10s stickiness may be better in very technical terrain but for your rides that benefit won't be as important.

#27 · (Edited)
man, i gotta say, all these mtb specific shoes are pug fugly. i'd rather grate my toes to stubbs than wear some fugly kickers like that. get some vans tnt 2 mid, or half cabs, or maybe some rowleys. etnies used to make good shoes too, haven't had a pair for more than ten years though, so can't say what they're like now. can't go wrong with oldskool style, been around 20+ years and'll look just as sweet in another 20 years. vans are hard wearing, ignore the naysayers, they dunno what they're on about. even if they look busted-up, they feel even more comfortable than new. let's say, just for arguments sake, that they didn't last as long as these ugly-ass newskool mtb shoes (i'd be lying, 'cause they're tough as)... who cares? a pair of half cabs only cost 50 bucks anyway. go to ebay and do a search 'vans half cab' for yourself, then compare all the rad colours and the raw, oldskool look to the newskool mtb shoes... there's really no comparison; the vans'll protect you feet just as well, last just as long, cost half as much, and they'll look good with your favourite jeans, unlike the those hideous five ten shoes. all us older guys grew up in these shoes, they're an essential part of the counter-culture uniform and, somewhat ironically, they make a statement about your individuality.

#28 ·
+1 for the 5 10 Sam Hills, they're a little heavy and clunky, but a set of gel inserts and they are the cat's @ss. Wear them all day walking and riding and your feet are still feet and not painful, tired lumps of meat on your legs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.