Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Road Warrior

Need New Shoes! I Ride Platform Pedals. Help Me Help Me

I've been riding platform pedals for the last 2 years, now, and won't switch back to clipless.

I need a decent shoe for the type of riding that I do: long XC rides.

Before you chime in about clipless being better for that, I have knee issues, and don't like mtbing attached to the bike. I do a lot of trekking up hills, pushing my bike, too, exploring places.

I've been using a new balance running shoe, but it's getting old. Way too old.

What do you think?

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    5.10 Sam Hill or Impact 2 Low, ride SS and geared FS with them, awesome.

banned
    Vans, reasonably priced also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like my 5.10 impacts for the stiffness and stickiness but hate how chunky they are. I'm pretty sure they have some new offerings that are a bit slimmer in profile. At any rate they are by far the best shoe I've used for flats.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    5.10 freeriders

mtbr member
    +1 for 5.10's.
    Sola Fide

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Definitely 5.10's.

I have Marzocchi Bombers which are re-badged versions of the Impact 2's. Same design, same Stealth sole except it doesnt have the Raptor tongue. These shoes are very grippy on pinned pedals. I use them with Crank Bros 50/50XX and Sun Ringle Octane pedals.

Unlike skate shoes (I have used Vans) which are very flexy, the 5.10's have enough stiffness for good power transfer but not too stiff that walking is awkward. Your foot wont slip off the pedals either, adjusting your foot placement on the pedal requires you to unweight your foot.

Drawbacks are unlike hiking shoes, running shoes and cycling shoes, 5.10's are hot to wear. There are holes on the shoes for "ventilation" but lack any mesh panels. They are also clunky and heavy and gets worse when wet. They also take a looong time to dry.

They are stylish enough to walk around in like at a post-ride meal/socializing. No more forgetting to bring separate shoes.

I wish 5.10's would design a shoe with mesh panels for better breathability or hot weather riding then it would be perfect. And maybe add lace keepers so the damn laces dont get chewed up by the chainrings.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Nice thing about platforms is you don't have to have just one shoe.

I like my lightweight new balance tennis shoes for rides without much walking.
    Low top Hiking shoes for rides with slippery mud or more hiking.
    High top leather boots for cold weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galbraithrider View Post
    I like my 5.10 impacts for the stiffness and stickiness but hate how chunky they are. I'm pretty sure they have some new offerings that are a bit slimmer in profile. At any rate they are by far the best shoe I've used for flats.
    I hear this come up very often.
    I too am interested in the Impacts- so are they chunky like a hiking shoe?
    I typically wear Merrells Moabs as my daily shoes, are the Impacts a similar bulk or more?
    That I can deal with, but I couldn't do more...

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    5.10 Sam Hill or Impact 2 Low, ride SS and geared FS with them, awesome.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Another vote for the Freeriders. If you got the time, watch and wait. I found mine on sale for about $80.00 delivered.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    I don't find them all that chunky or hot, but if your cranks are coming very close to your chainstay you might get contact by the heel, they are probably wider than most bike shoes there. I'm wearing 11s on a Gt Peace 9R and RIP9, no issues with toe overlap or rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    I hear this come up very often.
    I too am interested in the Impacts- so are they chunky like a hiking shoe?
    I typically wear Merrells Moabs as my daily shoes, are the Impacts a similar bulk or more?
    That I can deal with, but I couldn't do more...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Five Ten Freerider. Comfortable and durable.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to give my 5.10 Baron's a shot... was thinking about the TEVA Links.. they look like the more comfortable option, but getting tired of returning shoes, since I can't get any of them in MN. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow learn to google maybe? I quick google search would tell you that 5.10s rock and they're pretty much the most popular shoes when choosing to ride flats.. I know cuz I just went through the whole research process for the right shoe/pedal combination and googling told me everything right away, esp for shoes.

I just got 5.10 Freeriders and they're awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    definitely 5.10 Impacts Low. amazing shoe, with excellent grip to pedals abd with plenty of durability. not too stiff for trekking if needed/desired.

Dinner for wolves
    Can't go wrong with 5.10 if you have the dough. I may try the Vans next for a low cost alternative...if my 5.10s ever quit. Another option - Teva has 2 shoes that get good reviews (Links and another...can't recall).

EDIT: Links and Pinner
    Last edited by buddhak; 06-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am wearing Adidas terrex solo with flat wellgo, great combo! if its good enough for Hans Rey its good enough for me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    when i ride with flats i use the Teva Links and i like them a lot. super grippy and pretty stiff for riding but not so stiff they are uncomfortable to walk in.

my friend uses the 5.10 minaar and he says they are super sticky. plus i think they look pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have freeriders but Asics Gel Attack 6 trailrunners or current model are lighter,breath better in hot weather and have gel under heel and forefoot. The 5.10s stickiness may be better in very technical terrain but for your rides that benefit won't be as important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wow those 5.10 impacts are ugly. Sorry just trying to get my post count up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Vans, reasonably priced also.
    Vans are great grip wise but they seriously last a month or two of riding, if that.

Big wheels small brain
    I've been rocking 5.10 freeriders for over a year, and they still have plently of life. Super comfy too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Teva Pinners

Been using the Teva Pinners for a couple months now... no complaints...and for $50 on Amazon you can't go wrong. They also have the waterproof links and some brand new mid tops, check em out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast