Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11

    Need help finding a full face XC helmet. (ex. Giro Switchblade).

    Hi All,
    A really bad crash (got air lifted) on a super simple trail after MTB for 6 years got me thinking. All the injury to my head can be avoided if I'm wearing a full face helmet. But I can't find any for using on XC rinding. I was thinking something like Giro Switchblade. It'll be great if you can provide some suggection.

    Thanks much.
    Alex

    PS: If you read this, big thanks to the MTBer call in the ranger at Fremont Olders.

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,028
    Quote Originally Posted by chobao
    Hi All,
    A really bad crash (got air lifted) on a super simple trail after MTB for 6 years got me thinking. All the injury to my head can be avoided if I'm wearing a full face helmet.
    Sorry, not true. You can still suffer head injuries no matter what kind of helmet you are wearing.



    But I can't find any for using on XC rinding. I was thinking something like Giro Switchblade. It'll be great if you can provide some suggection.
    None that I am aware of.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    My LBS tells me that they can still get Giro Switchblades (old stock?), even though Giro no longer makes them. I can give you an email address if you are interested.

    Apparently there is a European helmet company called MET that makes something similar, but won't sell to the US due to liability laws.

    http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/met_para...et_review.html


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Sorry, not true. You can still suffer head injuries no matter what kind of helmet you are wearing.




    None that I am aware of.
    True, sorry I should be more specific on my injuries. I had sever cut to the corner of my eye and my lower lip which I think a full face helmet might help. But you are right it might not help with internal head injury. I was wearing a Limar MTB helmet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    My LBS tells me that they can still get Giro Switchblades (old stock?), even though Giro no longer makes them. I can give you an email address if you are interested.

    Apparently there is a European helmet company called MET that makes something similar, but won't sell to the US due to liability laws.

    http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/met_para...et_review.html

    Sure, that will be great. You can PM me the address. I'll check on the MET.
    Thx

  6. #6
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,261
    just buy a real full face...i heard the giros had a lot of problems breaking and people still got hurt.

    Maybe look into the Full Bravos or comps from www.sixsixone.com very well ventilated too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    just buy a real full face...i heard the giros had a lot of problems breaking and people still got hurt.

    Maybe look into the Full Bravos or comps from www.sixsixone.com very well ventilated too
    I saw this one and it looks to have good vent for a real full face. I ride 100% XC so I do a lot of climbing (2000ft on average per 12miles). Does this helmet has enough vent?

  8. #8
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,261
    Quote Originally Posted by chobao
    I saw this one and it looks to have good vent for a real full face. I ride 100% XC so I do a lot of climbing (2000ft on average per 12miles). Does this helmet has enough vent?
    it is like an XC helmet...but just a little warmer...the carbon one is real light...lighter than some XC helmets

    carbon
    http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/helmet...avocarbon.html
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  9. #9
    Evil Genius
    Reputation: BikeKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    249

    I've seen that helmet...

    I've seen the Bravo Full Carbon. It is so choice looking. Full Bling is more like it. Unfortunately, it's also Full Price. Ouch. But, I'd rather have a nice helmet with a giant dent in it than a nice head with a giant dent in it.

    D
    I'm as bad as the Worst. But, thank God, I'm also as good as the Best.

  10. #10
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    just buy a real full face...i heard the giros had a lot of problems breaking and people still got hurt.
    Yes, there were lots of problems with people thinking the Switchblade could be used for full-on DH and it is NOT a DH helmet. That being said, I have used them since they first came out and think they are the best XC helmet around. There isn't a single DH helmet on the market that can compete with the Switchblade in terms of light weight and ventilation (and if there was, it wouldn't be a DH helmet...) I wish someone would build another XC-oriented full face for when it's time to retire Switchblade #2.

  11. #11
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    PM sent.

  12. #12
    Beyond the stars
    Reputation: RedDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    745

    Ok, don't take this the wrong way . . .

    but did you ever consider "riding within your limitations!"

    You said it yourself, and I have ridden Fremont Older up above the Stevens Creek dam it's not a place that "suites" a DH helmet.

    Most people that have crashed with the Giro Switchblade were injured more when the mouth piece broke and caused additional "sharp edge" injuries rather than the inital inpact.

    A) Save your money

    B) Realize that injuries can happen "no matter what"

    C) Ride within your limitations

    D) Have fun

    E) Be safe

  13. #13
    Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Reputation: Lucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    Most people that have crashed with the Giro Switchblade were injured more when the mouth piece broke and caused additional "sharp edge" injuries rather than the inital inpact.
    That's interesting - I didn't know that. I'm using a Switchblade as a full-face for BMX racing (track requires full-face helmets). I love the lightness and good ventilation, but I'd rather not slice up my face in a crash. I'll have to check out the 661.

    Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

  14. #14
    the bomb
    Reputation: pfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    531

    man, I've been wondering this forever.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker

    Most people that have crashed with the Giro Switchblade were injured more when the mouth piece broke and caused additional "sharp edge" injuries rather than the inital inpact.
    I have a switchblade, and have put my chin to the ground several times, and been glad I had it on.

    I've heard the stories of the failures, but what I am wondering is this: were these people using the support pads in the face plate area?

    They come with pads that go in between the mouth gaurd and your jaw. I've always used them, but the giro manuals said that you could remove them "for better ventilation". I've also heard of people that didn't even know the pads existed, because for some reason they didn't come with their helmet.

    I'm really interested to somehow find out how many of these failures occured because the pads weren't used. I've probably only got another year before mine is too old, and I'm really bummed that there is no replacement. if you ask me, the dumbest thing giro could have done was suggest removing those pads. Just asking for lawsuits.

    anyway. pfunk

    hey Craig - I would be interested in that info too. Could you pm me? thanks
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

  15. #15
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    PM sent.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    but did you ever consider "riding within your limitations!"

    You said it yourself, and I have ridden Fremont Older up above the Stevens Creek dam it's not a place that "suites" a DH helmet.

    Most people that have crashed with the Giro Switchblade were injured more when the mouth piece broke and caused additional "sharp edge" injuries rather than the inital inpact.

    A) Save your money

    B) Realize that injuries can happen "no matter what"

    C) Ride within your limitations

    D) Have fun

    E) Be safe
    I understand where you coming from. I'm not a DH rider by a long shot. I've been MTBing for 6 years I ride Soquel, Wilders and Skaggs from time to time so I'm an ok rider. As you said accident do happen just like this one, the place I crashed is a easy open fire road going slightly down hill I was suppose to slow down to exit on a single track. But I crashed, I've no idea what happened I lost all memory about the crash. Looking for a full face XC is just a way to make things a little better if accident do happen. If anyone use a XC helmet with chin guard as DH helmet then that would be a really poor choice.

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    the best full-face helmet


  18. #18
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,644
    Anyone get a photo of the guy at the Clunker Crit who was riding around with a DV helmet?

  19. #19
    Beyond the stars
    Reputation: RedDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    745

    It's just that I would hate to have you . . .

    . . .riding around with this "false sense of security" about your shinny new XC "full-face" helmet. It might make you think you can "get away with riding above your skill level" when in fact you can still suffer a very bad brain injury. You may not scratch/cut your face but you will still risk a brain injury in a crash. (you know, like a concusion where there is some memory loss) Which is WHY I suspect you were air-lifted out, not some superfical facial lacerations that will bleed alot but not be life threatening.

    I have ridden Skeggs, Soquel, Wilder, Niesine marks (sp) before it was closed, Saratoga Gap, Long Ridge, etc. and have done my fair share of superman OTB, sliding out, tuck-N-roll, ouch that's gonna leave a scar crashes.

    When I armor-up with knee/shin, elbow and/or chest pretection and my FF helmet I will try stuff I wouldn't even think about without all that protection . . .

    You CAN get going really fast on those fire roads/single track trails, BUT if you do and you are not sporting full-on body armor you WILL get hurt . . .

    Ride within your limitations, and the limitations of your protection.

  20. #20
    the bomb
    Reputation: pfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    531

    Good job! no closed any more

    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    Niesine marks (sp) before it was closed
    Not closed anymore. They reached a settlement in April. Everything goes back to the way it was (single track below steel bridge = legal. Fire road all the way up = legal).
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

  21. #21
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,028
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    ...Apparently there is a European helmet company called MET that makes something similar, but won't sell to the US due to liability laws.

    The removable chin piece is well vented but how strong can it be?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  22. #22
    Bike Whore
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    989
    I wore a Giro Switchblade for two years. Finally retired it. Here are my thoughts on it...

    The face mask design was only effective if you fell on the side of your face, it would then protect your jaw.

    If you fell face down, the face mask protruded too low and far forward and it would get pushed down or up and then the straps would pull on your throat (bad). if it got pushed upward, then your jaw would be exposed to the ground anyways.

    Also, the ridges on the inside of the mask were sharp from the plastic mold process and seemed like it could cut your lip if falling on it.

    I am a big fan of as much protection as possible, but after my two years wearing the Switchblade I think it's added safety was not that great and really was a "perceived" addition of saftey. My fall where it pushed it up caused more danger than help because it pulled the straps into my throat. And I did not have loose straps, they were snug.

    Just my two cents on the matter.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    I wore a Giro Switchblade for two years. Finally retired it. Here are my thoughts on it...

    The face mask design was only effective if you fell on the side of your face, it would then protect your jaw.
    .
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. My XC Limar helmet did it's job but there is no coverage on the side (below your eye brown) that's where my cuts are. Today I got my bike back from the ranger. It has a flat front tire the tube has 2 pinch flats. The explains how I fell it's a slightly downhill right turn front just wash out after it's flat. My right face hit the ground first base on the info in my HRM I was only going about 13mph. Thanks for sharing you thought on the helmet!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borregokid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,586
    The Giro Switchblade is still a popular helmet. After a similar seriously bad crash in which I busted my helmet and had serious facial injuries I bought a Switchblade. I dont use it for everyday riding but I have used it for racing on courses that have some steep downhill sections. At the Schweitzer National I went over the bars and landed on the front of the helmet and busted a couple of ribs. I got up and finished the race very happy that I had the Switchblade. I think a lot of the evidence on Switchblade problems is anecdotal, kind of like the people who claimed they were glad they werent wearing a seat belt in a crash. I smacked my helmet pretty hard right on the chin guard, didnt break. This helmet will not work for a real agressive downhill rider. I was riding a hardtail over a downhill section that a downhiller would have hit at a much higher rate of speed. There are probably some better helmets out there in the $300 range or up.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    The Giro Switchblade is still a popular helmet. After a similar seriously bad crash in which I busted my helmet and had serious facial injuries I bought a Switchblade. I dont use it for everyday riding but I have used it for racing on courses that have some steep downhill sections. At the Schweitzer National I went over the bars and landed on the front of the helmet and busted a couple of ribs. I got up and finished the race very happy that I had the Switchblade. I think a lot of the evidence on Switchblade problems is anecdotal, kind of like the people who claimed they were glad they werent wearing a seat belt in a crash. I smacked my helmet pretty hard right on the chin guard, didnt break. This helmet will not work for a real agressive downhill rider. I was riding a hardtail over a downhill section that a downhiller would have hit at a much higher rate of speed. There are probably some better helmets out there in the $300 range or up.
    Thanks for sharing the info. It's really good to know that someone tested it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Don't have a full face helmet?
    By markseelos805 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 02:02 PM
  2. full face helmet
    By austinb89 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 08:24 PM
  3. Giro or Azonic full face helmet?
    By keen in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 04:58 PM
  4. Best full face helmet?
    By piercebrew in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. Best non full face helmet?
    By keen in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 09:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •