mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Need a Helmet Mount Light!!

I am just getting into night riding and need to get a light. I ride in an area that can get pretty technical, but I can only really afford to spend $200. I would like to get a helmet mount since that seems to be the way to go, but I've been doing research on lights for about a week and can't decide what is going to work best for my budget. Can anyone help?

Light freak
    Hello Sumo77,
    I just PM'd you with some information that may fill your requirements

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Diy?

DIY is the way to go with the technology developing weekly, commercial vender's cant even keep up.

I just ordered all the parts for a 430-600lumen helmet mount light with a lithium ion battery and a 2-3:30 hour burn time. The total was only 120 bucks for parts. It will be my 4th light. Turns into a regular hobby before you even know it.

How mechanical are you?

Can you use a hack saw? a dremmel tool? Have you ever soldered, sweated pipe, ran a spot welder or any thing like that? Can you read a schematic? Ever done a car stereo install? Ever worked on PC hard ware? Work on your own bike?
    Are you patient?

Do you need a light but can wait a week or three?

If you answered yes to any of those you ought to be able to have a fun and enjoyable time making a great light. If you didn't answer yes to any you may still be able to produce a good light with minimal headache.

If the thought of soldering something scares you, you should probably start reading some light reviews.

Bandolero

Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjay
    Can you use a hack saw? a dremmel tool? Have you ever soldered, sweated pipe, ran a spot welder or any thing like that? Can you read a schematic? Ever done a car stereo install? Ever worked on PC hard ware? Work on your own bike?
    Are you patient?

Do you need a light but can wait a week or three?

All those questions. It brought this one to my mind.

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Now I'm thinking of Kim Bassinger.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use a NIterider tri newt as my primary light, however I just picked up a Mi-newt Mini USB for my helmet. I was very impressed with this little light. I have used it twice by itself just to se how good it actually is and it is pretty amazing. It's between $120 & $150. You need to get the "Plus" to get the helmet mount.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by awdjunkie
    I use a NIterider tri newt as my primary light, however I just picked up a Mi-newt Mini USB for my helmet. I was very impressed with this little light. I have used it twice by itself just to se how good it actually is and it is pretty amazing. It's between $120 & $150. You need to get the "Plus" to get the helmet mount.
    I'm in similiar situation as the OP and not sure how much I want to spend....need good dependable single track light though. The Mi-Newtx2 on bars and same or maybe the Mi-Newt USB on my helmet is sounding interesting....pair of Dinotte 200s sounds interesting too....
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Dinotte 400L

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    Dinotte 400L
    Single, double, mounted where?
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Hello Sumo77,
    I just PM'd you with some information that may fill your requirements
    Scar, I'm sort of in similar position as the OP, but with an interest in homebrew LEDs. What's the story with your Amoeba lights?
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    Natedogz,
    the 400L can be bar or helmet and is a double led light.
    Dinotte add at top of page and there are some threads on here.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 03-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Light freak
    Originally posted by hootsmon
    Scar, I'm sort of in similar position as the OP, but with an interest in homebrew LEDs. What's the story with your Amoeba lights?
    They are the most compact, lightest lights out there. I have been manufacturing them since last November. I have customers worldwide. I use non-proprietary batteries that do not cost a fortune to replace or get extras. I provide customer service that I believe you will not find from anybody else. They are made in the USA by an avid cyclist that actually uses them on an almost daily basis.

I have PM'd you with more detailed information. Thanks for asking.

<100%
    Scar, I tried to PM you but got this message....."scar has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space".
    I am looking for lights and having a hard time finding your website or any info. Pm me please.

Quote Originally Posted by scar
    They are the most compact, lightest lights out there. I have been manufacturing them since last November. I have customers worldwide. I use non-proprietary batteries that do not cost a fortune to replace or get extras. I provide customer service that I believe you will not find from anybody else. They are made in the USA by an avid cyclist that actually uses them on an almost daily basis.

I have PM'd you with more detailed information. Thanks for asking.

Light freak
    jsj3831 - Sorry about that. I usually don't notice untils somebody lets me know they can't PM me. I have been getting hit hard lately, it is that time of year. Check your PM in a minute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Anyone familiar with the Light & Motion Solo Logic?

Members who have read this thread: 0