Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need helmet advice

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Mellow Yellow 
#1 ·
So last week I took a little bit of a header. My full face helmet now has a "crash zone" big enough that I am more then willing to shell out some cash for a new FF helmet.

I want to ask the MTBR community in their opinion if I should go with a cycling FF helmet like a vigor vamoose, or should I get a full on motoX helmet instead? I only wear this helmet for going down, never for XC/epic style rides so heat is not a concern.

On one hand I like the extra security a full on motox helmet offers, but on the other hand the bicycle FF helmet worked well for me.I had no concussion from my crash, only vertabrae issues that would have occurred no matter what helmet I had.

Any opinions are appreciated.

TJ

:cool:

#2 ·
For my money, the crash replacement at 1/2 retail for a helmet that did it's job properly seems the best way to go. At least, that's my experience with the Bell Bellistic.

Moto-x helmets aren't just hotter (no vents), but heavier!

Kn.

#3 ·
006_007 said:
So last week I took a little bit of a header. My full face helmet now has a "crash zone" big enough that I am more then willing to shell out some cash for a new FF helmet.

I want to ask the MTBR community in their opinion if I should go with a cycling FF helmet like a vigor vamoose, or should I get a full on motoX helmet instead? I only wear this helmet for going down, never for XC/epic style rides so heat is not a concern.

On one hand I like the extra security a full on motox helmet offers, but on the other hand the bicycle FF helmet worked well for me.I had no concussion from my crash, only vertabrae issues that would have occurred no matter what helmet I had.

Any opinions are appreciated.

TJ

:cool:
Have a look at a helmet-nazi quiz on motorcycle helmets and what they are and are not designed to do:

Q2. Because of a helmet's limited ability to absorb impact energy, it can't protect you if you have a motorcycle accident over 20 mph.

A2. False. Although a helmet's ability to absorb energy can be reached at a relatively low speed, helmets are rarely required to absorb this kind of energy in a crash. Most of the vector of force is usually just from the drop from the seat to the road, which is relatively minor. However, we have also witnessed accidents where the rider's helmeted head struck an object (the A pillar if a pick-up truck, in one case) with such force that we couldn't believe he could survive, yet the helmet protected him admirably, preventing what would have certainly been a devastating or fatal injury.

Q3. The shell is a helmet's most important component.

Q3. False. The shell of the helmet prevents penetration and spreads the load, but the Styrofoam-type EPS liner is what actually absorbs the energy of the impact. The shell is also probably more effective at preventing abrasion than the EPS liner, but that is less likely to be a life-or-death injury, even on the head (though your face may get a macadam makeover). So unless you drop lightly on a pointed object or you are primarily concerned with protecting your looks, the answer is False. Not that it matters, since a good helmet has both.

For the rest, see

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/helmquiz/

#6 ·
Whistler is hot enough even in a vented FF bike helmet that I don't think I could stand a MX helmet.

If I was racing DH, I would probably go with a MX helmet, but I'm not so....

I need to send in both of my Bell FF & one of my Giro XC helmets in for crash replacement.

#8 ·
i say mtb helmet...
the extra weight of the mx helmet might hurt your neck when you crash.

mtb full-faces are designed for certain types of impacts, which are different from motorcycle impacts.

i would never buy a moto helmet for biking. but that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.