mtbr member

Need advice for buying winter shoes and other clothes

It has become apparent to me that the clothes I'm using right now won't be very good for winter riding, so I would like some suggestions for the following items:
    Winter shoes-I suppose getting a high top waterproof boot would be nice, but an ankle cut one would be good.
    Base layer-What brands make good breathable base shirts? I looked at Gore's stuff, but don't know if it's good
    Helmet cover-I'm convinced I'd rather have something over my helmet rather than cramming a bunch of material inside it. I also looked at Gore's stuff for this.
    Socks-Waterproof, thermal insulation etc. I've heard that Sealskinz makes good socks for winter MTB
    Mid layer-I have a medium weight Polartec fleece not specifically designed for cycling. Would this be good?
    Top layer-I have a basic Gore windstopper shell. Would this be good enough?
    Lastly, a headband to cover the ears-Preferably waterproof, polartec, something along the lines of that

Now for the weather I'll be riding in:
    Around 25-30 F sometimes there will be either snow/slush or rain. There can also be a wind chill factor involved, so maybe at the LEAST around 10 F

With all of the collective knowledge and experience in this forum, hopefully I can get good feedback so I can construct a winter riding outfit.
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

turtles make me hot
    Gore is good stuff... It's pricey too.
    I ride with Under Armour for a base layer, then Aerotech Designs bibtights and then I add layers of Eastern Mountain Sports Wick Tech and top it all off with a Trek winter cycling jacket.
    I wear a beanie that fits under my helmet and when it's really cold, a balaclava.
    I have Smartwool socks and if it's really cold, I add a second pair.
    I'm getting Shimano winter shoes next week.

Aerotech Designs stuff is reasonably priced.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Gore is good stuff... It's pricey too.
    I ride with Under Armour for a base layer, then Aerotech Designs bibtights and then I add layers of Eastern Mountain Sports Wick Tech and top it all off with a Trek winter cycling jacket.
    I wear a beanie that fits under my helmet and when it's really cold, a balaclava.
    I have Smartwool socks and if it's really cold, I add a second pair.
    I'm getting Shimano winter shoes next week.

Aerotech Designs stuff is reasonably priced.
    Ok thanks. I also have gore bib tights, forget to mention that. In really cold weather should I put on long underwear underneath these?
    Will someday be living in Alaska with 2 pooches

turtles make me hot
    Wicking long underwear, like Under Armour. NO Cotton.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    gore stuff is great, worth every penny, i have gore soft shell i bought 5 years ago that i use almost daily in winter and it still looks pretty much new. you can get decent base layer at target for good price. that is what i use under soft shell. if its going to be really cold i use another one size larger base layer in between. shoes are last missing link in my winter gear and after some research i am getting nw celsius arctic shoes.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can you give me advise on what I should buy for winter biking? I live in Colorado and the temperature drops to a low of 18 degrees.. Furthermore, Its usually sunny outside and the snow melts relatively quickly. I have never biked in the snow before and I am trying to figure out what I need to buy..

I already have a Northface Denali Fleece jacket and I am looking for an outer layer to wear on top of it. Any suggestions? Also, I do not like wearing tights.. Can you please suggest a pant (not too baggy, just something that fits like a normal pant) that I can wear? Will I need to wear something inside the pant? Lastly, what do you wear to keep your ears warm?

mtbr member
    One thing to remember is the road is a lot colder than the trails. If you ride to the trails you'll need more clothes to stay warm but have to strip some off once you get in the woods.
    At the temps you're riding at I wear -

-5oC - Same plus windproof tights and balaclava.

0oC - Shimano boots. Men's Work Warehouse or Rapha winter socks. Rapha tights and bibs. Merino longsleeve base layer. Jersey. Classic softshell jacket. Hot Paws/Lobster gloves. Skull cap. Chapstick. > 2 hours on the road!

I'd suggest Shimano boots or 45North if you have the bucks.
    I'll take a nice merino wool base layer over anything UA makes and I own a lot of both.
    Check out Sugoi's skull caps and balaclavas. They're very thin but work well. I don't even noticed them under my helmet.
    I've never tried the Sealskinz socks. I can't remember if they're good.
    Your last layer has to be windproof and it's nice if it has zippered vents.

Maybe get some fenders for your bike if you have enough clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokytan View Post
    Also, I do not like wearing tights.. Can you please suggest a pant (not too baggy, just something that fits like a normal pant) that I can wear? Will I need to wear something inside the pant? Lastly, what do you wear to keep your ears warm?
    These things are awesome!
    Weather resistant softshell winter cycling trousers | Rapha

They're wind and rain resistant, not proof but they will work great for you. You just have to tuck the right cuff into your sock or roll it up or use a strap so it doesn't get stuck in your chain. I wear mine all the time for commuting when it's wet.
    The Sugoi skull cap is great for keeping your head and ears warm.