mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Neck protection for non-DH riding

I have a back neck that doesn't take well anymore to axial compression and all the other gyrations that come with the sport. I see the neck braces designed for use with cyclocross style helmets; however I'm looking for a neck brace (may be an impossible task) that works with a conventional bike helmet. Sound off if you know of anything, and advanced thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sorry cant help with your exact ? but would specific physical therapy be an option?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the reply, Metalhack. I've had a couple reconstructive neck surgeries to fix up troubles caused years back in a crash during a downhill mtb race; this in the day when DH bikes weren't around and suspension stems were the cutting edge technology affordable only to the pros. My entire neck and upper T-spine, but for top cervical disc, is fused and plated. PT doesn't provide any help, and that's generally because I don't typically have troubles; however I'm racing with a mtb team this year and all the extra training time on the mtb saddle is aggravating my neck. I'm just curious if anything is out there that may provide some stability for my neck to diminish some of the twisting and compaction.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen one, but I don't see how a neck brace could work in conjunction with a regular cycling helmet. I bet it would look really close to a typical neck brace. Why not just wear a soft brace? Surely you have one of those lying around from prior. Could also check out your bike fit. Maybe get a new stem, to sit a bit more upright, with less reach.... take some pressure off the neck/shoulders.

A friend of mine broke his neck a couple of months ago, mtbing. He's an extremely lucky man says his docs. I admire your courage to keep on pushing it. Good luck in your endeavors.