mtbr member

Is my helmet unsafe?

I had a bigass head as a kid, so my parents had to custom order a giro helmet for me when I got my first bike. That was 14 years and 6 states ago, and I still use that helmet to this day. I don't see any visible cracks, but I am worried since it is going on it's 15th year and I am starting to do more hardcore trails. Is it safe for XC/Cross country and doing some average jumps at a local MTB park? I have never had a crash/direct hit on it (Besides dropping it a couple times)
    Is my helmet unsafe?-img_4220.jpgIs my helmet unsafe?-img_4221.jpgIs my helmet unsafe?-img_4222.jpg

Here are some pictures, I know I know, it's dorky with it's flames and gopro mounts but I love it because it is unique and the ONLY helmet I have ever owned. Even if it is unsafe I'll still keep it. Maybe mount it on a wall. Who knows.
    I can do sick whips on my razor scooter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Theres research articles showin the eps in ancient helmets even older than yours still effective. If it hasnt seen a impact and the straps, attachment points, buckle, shell still are ok, then your probably ok. That said, it looks like your helmets been around and has lots of just daily use wear. Id encourage you to look at a new helmet. If your starting to hit the park and jumps, a lot of new helmets feature extended lower rear head coverage. And the few with removable chin bars if you really get into park. I have a Bell Super 2R that is my everything helmet. XC and local DH runs.

MTB B'dos
    Not sure, not a scientist, don't deal with that stuff, but if it were me, I'd definitely look to pick up a new, modern helmet with better designs and materials than that ancient artifact. Quite a few nice ones on sale at the moment online, but if you've got a big noggin and are unsure of fit, always best to go into a local shop and try some on to get the best fit, might pay more, but you'll get a helmet you now fits.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Not sure, not a scientist, don't deal with that stuff, but if it were me, I'd definitely look to pick up a new, modern helmet with better designs and materials than that ancient artifact. Quite a few nice ones on sale at the moment online, but if you've got a big noggin and are unsure of fit, always best to go into a local shop and try some on to get the best fit, might pay more, but you'll get a helmet you now fits.
    Took the words out of my mouth (keyboard...whatever). A couple of hundred bucks, worst case scenario, seems like an awfully small investment to be sure your brain is as safe as it can be.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks everyone! In America it's much cheaper to buy a helmet than... die.

I am looking at the Kali Protectives Maya helmet, if anyone thinks that helmet is maybe too much for what I do and have better (cheaper) option feel free to share it. I'll also look at the bell super 2R that was mentioned ahead.
    I can do sick whips on my razor scooter.

MTB B'dos
    Also check out these others. The iXS TrailRS size L/XL is really big, so should fit you. iXS Trail RS Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA
    The Bell Stoker L is also a quite big helmet Bell Stoker Mips Helmet > Apparel > Helmets > Men's Helmets | Jenson USA
    Also expect that the Fox Meta L/XL is quite big as well, as I have the S/M and it fits just snug and I have a 58cm head and normally wear M/Lhttp://www.jensonusa.com/Mens-Helmets/Fox-Metah-Kroma-Helmet?cs=Blue/White

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfKonzan View Post
    Ok, thanks everyone! In America it's much cheaper to buy a helmet than... die.

I am looking at the Kali Protectives Maya helmet, if anyone thinks that helmet is maybe too much for what I do and have better (cheaper) option feel free to share it. I'll also look at the bell super 2R that was mentioned ahead.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Great TLD helmets here for half price.
    Troy Lee Designs A1 Reflex Closeouts

L1MEY
    Specialized Max XL fits my hubby's massive noggin. The Super 2, Stoker and Fox Meta were all too small for him. Bonus: it's only $40!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Bell won't fit you, trust me.. I wear XL in Giro most of the time. I have a Cannondale Ryker (I think?) that I use when I'm not sporting the full face. It was really cheap at my LBS and it's a MIPS helmet.

His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0