mtbr member
    Nov 2008

My clipless shoes are rubbing the front fenders and the front tire, what's wrong?

Hi all,

I know it sounds retarded.
    My shimano shoes when clipped in will rub the front fenders during the spins when I am making a turn. After taking off the fender, it still rubs the tire.
    The clipless metal plate under both shoes are already installed so that both shoes are "pushed" furthest on the pedals.
    Please tell me what's wrong, and what I can do to correct it... Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by menuhin
    Hi all,

My shimano shoes when clipped in will rub the front fenders during the spins when I am making a turn. After taking off the fender, it still rubs the tire.
    The clipless metal plate under both shoes are already installed so that both shoes are "pushed" furthest on the pedals.
    Is this bike a 29er?

This is known as "toe overlap".

mtbr member
    how long is the top tube? and what is the size of the bike? sometimes on smaller frames you get some bad toe buzz and thats what it sounds like to me. i dont know if there is anything you can do...

REALLY?
    Ditch the clips and get platforms.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Optimum Value
    Don't listen to Jeff, hes a clipless hater Make sure the cleats are closest to your toes on the shoe.

~Disc~Golf~
    ok here's what you need to do...
    clip in to your pedal and rotate the crank so it's at the 3-o'clock position (most forward). Line up the tire along your shoe where you're making the most contact. Then, with a sharpie, mark a line on your foot minus about a 1/4 of an inch behind your tire (the area where no contact would occur). Then, with a hack saw cut off the front of your shoe/foot following that line. You may need a stick to bite down on. Then, with a blow torch, cauterize your foot but be careful not to melt your shoe.
    repeat process for the other side.
    I hope this helps.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    ok here's what you need to do...
    sounds reasonable!

Old man on a bike
    Compromising your foot's optimal position on the pedal to avoid contact isn't a great idea unless you're willing to try highdell's method Small frames and large feet can sometimes create contact, though, especially small 29ers...whatcha got in the way of setup here?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's a cyclocross bike with a more road-bike like geometry. Maybe therefore the toe overlap is greater.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    It's a cyclocross bike with a more road-bike like geometry. Maybe therefore the toe overlap is greater.
    Toe overlap is not uncommon on road bikes. It happens on some 29er mountain bikes, it really depends on the frame and/or fork.

I have a little but of overlap if my feet are at 3 o'clock on my 29er mountain bike. In reality it is not an issue on the trail.

My road bike has a LOT of overlap. I have to pay attention to where my feet are on a slow tight turn.

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Sounds like you got the Emmett Kelly Edition bike shoes.

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with your bike. It is called toe overlap, which means your foot will overlap the front wheel.

Many bikes have it, and it is normal. One thing to consider is this: while you are traveling over 10mph, you will never turn the wheel so much that your foot could make contact with the wheel. Only slow speed turns with be an issue, which you will learn how to deal with.

However, I would readjust your cleats to a "normal" position, on the balls of your feet. You do not want to move cleats to accommodate your toe overlap. You could injure yourself that way by having badly positioned cleats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi all,

Maybe this is your problem? Nice shoes. I'm just kidding.....that's the first thing I thought of when I heard your problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0