mtbr member
    Mar 2010

My big,swollen foot!

I had surgery on my foot last January and my doctor said I can start to ride again but my foot has quite a bit of swelling in it and there is no way I can get my cycling shoe on. I would like to get a pair of lower end shoes to use until I can again wear my good ones. Anybody aware of a brand with more room on the top? Unfortunately, I wear a 48 or 49 and the shops in the area don't have anything in stock. I could run flat pedals until then but I'm not liking this setup on my indoor trainer(Yuck!!!) The other option would be sandals with cleats but the soles on those probably aren't very rigid. Most of my riding will be on gravel- no trails until my foot is more healed. Thanks for any insight.

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy View Post
    I had surgery on my foot last January and my doctor said I can start to ride again but my foot has quite a bit of swelling in it and there is no way I can get my cycling shoe on. I would like to get a pair of lower end shoes to use until I can again wear my good ones. Anybody aware of a brand with more room on the top? Unfortunately, I wear a 48 or 49 and the shops in the area don't have anything in stock. I could run flat pedals until then but I'm not liking this setup on my indoor trainer(Yuck!!!) The other option would be sandals with cleats but the soles on those probably aren't very rigid. Most of my riding will be on gravel- no trails until my foot is more healed. Thanks for any insight.
    Did your surgeon or GP suggest compression stockings for swollen post op feet? Compression stockings, are designed for the purpose of providing support for your legs and keeping blood and fluid from pooling in your feet or legs, and help to reduce swelling and leg fatigue.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's a good idea I had not thought about. My surgeon said they were an option a month ago if I wanted them but they wouldn't improve healing. At that time I chose not to. Thanks.

Gnarly
    Give them a try
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm currently recovering from a badly torn calf, compression socks and calf sleeves have made a huge difference to the swelling and discomfort there. using x-bionic ones that don't seem to cause things to heat up too much.