Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Mtn Bike Shorts Question-What Type?

Sorry, but I did not search this topic. Took the easy way out here:

I'm looking for shorts that have ample pockets, not overly baggy cause those hang up on the seat, with or without integrated padding, that can replace the comfort of road bike shorts.

I'm just back into MTB after many years away on a road bike.

Also, I see guys wearing longer socks. This makes sense in the southeast to avoid the dreaded poison ivy syndrome.

You guys know more that me, so please share thoughts regarding brands, sources prices, etc etc

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    22 views and no opinions? Come on guys..., lol

Magically Delicious
    I have several pairs of Zoic Antidotes and have been very pleased with their durability, pockets, and overall performance. Zippered vent panels, waist adjustment, etc. The liners haven't held up quite as well, but I'm still pleased and they're cheaper to replace. They have many miles on them. I will replace these with more Zoics.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks C2L, they will be on my list...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like my bibs with Club Ride Days short on top. The Days short is thin and light and doesn't get in the way at all. I forget I'm wearing them. The only negative is price at $90.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Also in the market for shorts... not sure if these Royal Racing Matrix Shorts would meet your criteria but they are at the top of my list:

Matrix Short | Royal 2014

Look well designed, durable and they don't have any lightning bolts or flashy looks.

mtbr member
    I have Canari in foam and gel. The gel is awesome. I wear them under various shorts including workout and cargo shorts. $20-40 each. I also have padded underwear from Amazon that works well and they were $8-10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    thx dirt

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just bought a pair of the new 2014 Zoic Ether quattro shorts...awesome...lightweight and great liner.

EDR
    Zioc Ether are great. Even the liner (it's removable). The plaid ones are next on my list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Mtn Bike Shorts Question-What Type?

Mtb shorts are ridiculously priced. Go to TJ Max or Ross and shop for shorts. I found a nice pair of lightweight polyester/cotton blend shorts for $20.

mtbr member
    I like the looks of these:
    Endura - Products

I have no MTB specific shorts yet $$ is tuff to spend on shorts so I just were what I have...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Dickies, cutoffs, check out goodwill as well. Function over form. My favorite shorts I ride in are a pair of jorts I found at goodwill for $3.50.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    I like the looks of these:
    Endura - Products

I have no MTB specific shorts yet $$ is tuff to spend on shorts so I just were what I have...
    I see no purpose in MTB specific shorts. I think its pretty silly. Shorts are shorts. If your ass hurts, keep riding till it toughens up.
    I started throwing some road in the mix,they are the worst. I love being the only non spandex guy blowing past everyone.
    If you are putting down alot of miles then maybe a cheap pair of compression shorts for underwear.(as in $10 at walmart)

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by antisocial83 View Post
    I see no purpose in MTB specific shorts. I think its pretty silly. Shorts are shorts. )
    Some shorts have a baggie crotch. Most mountain bike specific shorts do not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Some shorts have a baggie crotch. Most mountain bike specific shorts do not.
    My only MTB-specific shorts, Endura Humvee, are simply too baggy. Waist size is fine, so WTF.

I'll take some board shorts or other generic baggies with a liner or bike shorts underneath. My venerable Quiksilver board shorts fit better than anything I've tried and are indestructible. Turned off big time on MTB specific shorts. Agree that they are overpriced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    I have Canari in foam and gel. The gel is awesome. I wear them under various shorts including workout and cargo shorts.
    And me I can't stand my Canari gel shorts. Just goes to show that everything is so subjective.

Personally I like the REI house brand Novura, I think it is, for the combination liner and shorts. Other then that I like the Pearl Isumi chamois and plain old Wrangler Cargo shorts during the summer. Lots of pockets. You can shop through REI outlet cheap and try the ones that they carry. They carry a bunch of different brands then their own.

I do like to wear mine loose so I have some undershirt suspenders to keep them in place. Nice and soft. Amazon carries them.

Have fun and find what you like. Slim

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    My only MTB-specific shorts, Endura Humvee, are simply too baggy. Waist size is fine, so WTF.

I'll take some board shorts or other generic baggies with a liner or bike shorts underneath. My venerable Quiksilver board shorts fit better than anything I've tried and are indestructible. Turned off big time on MTB specific shorts. Agree that they are overpriced.
    In addition to my zoic shorts I also wear several pairs of $20 Quiksilver or O'Neill boardshorts I got from Costco. I like them just fine but they are not nearly as durable. I have ripped the crotch out of one pair just sitting on some granite rocks. But still I like them. They are lightweight and cheap.

mtbr member
    Zoic

Two Tired
    I suppose I am even cheaper than some of the other replies. You already have "road bike shorts" so you should just wear them. They'll be just as comfortable as they are on your road bike and won't get hung up on the seat. I think you will find them to be cooler too.

I find the best solution for poison oak (out west but the same problem) is to stay out of it. This can make for some fun acrobatics on tight trails in the spring. Long socks may help, but you'll still get the oil on them and then onto everything else.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    The royal matrix shorts have been my go to for the past 9 months. Unfortunatly the elastic on the waistband stretched & they no longer hold tight. (Never had this happen on a pair of bike shorts espicially that quick.

If you like longer I have been using Norrona shorts lately. Backcountry.com is US retailer. So far very impressed. Lots of pockets, expandable vents, seem well made this far. They are expensive but you can find coupons at backcountry. You can get a little cheaper direct from Norrona but that means shipping & possible return from Norway if they don't fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Shorts are a personal fit - Go try on a bunch of different brands and see what fits your body best. Buy them end of year and on closeouts. I like shorts with a separate liner, it makes changing into jeans or clean shorts easier. I tend to carry everything in my pack - I've fallen on a multitool in a pocket one too many times...

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I wear compression shorts (undies) under board shorts. I got 4-5 pairs of Hawk (as in Tony) board shorts from Kohls for $20 a pop... Less with a coupon. They kick ass. Comfortable and not too loose/baggy. Only thing I hate is that the compression shorts ride up my legs.
    Anyway, I like that I can have 5 pairs of riding shorts/bathing suits for around the same price as 1 pair of mountain bike shorts.

Your killing my Strava

I like Fox Ranger or Attack shorts. But they are a little pricy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I go the expandex way, it is confortable, clean and fresh. I don't care that much about the looks, much more of a practical person since I got to the 40s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast