Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Mtbr All Mountain Bike Helmet Shootout

It is here.

All Mountain Helmet Shootout | Mountain Bike Review

How should we test them? What are your key considerations when buying a helmet?

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mtbr All Mountain Bike Helmet Shootout-pc190017.jpg  

Mtbr All Mountain Bike Helmet Shootout-pc190029.jpg  

Mtbr All Mountain Bike Helmet Shootout-pc190027.jpg  

Mtbr All Mountain Bike Helmet Shootout-pc180026.jpg  

Mtbr All Mountain Bike Helmet Shootout-pc180002.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Will the point of the shootout to determine "the best" AM helmet or just which helmets work well at providing the selected features? The reason for my question is that a lot of people reading the results of the shootout will gravitate toward "the best" helmet (assuming that is the goal), irrespective of the fit. I would think that fit needs to stressed above all else, as the safety/protection of a helmet may well be overcome by a poor fitting helmet. I have tried many of the contending helmets on, and some would be crossed off my list regardless of the "shootout" results simply because they do not provide a good fit. However, if the helmets are tested to determine if the features work well, then the testing may help someone find a good fitting helmet that provides the safety/features that they desire.

mtbr member
    It's gotta look good...that's all anyone cares about
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    I would divide the review into categories and create a points system. Then rank them by overall points.

Categories I am interested in:
    Coverage/protection
    Weight
    Ventilation
    Fit/padding/retention system
    Price
    Looks
    Additional features (i.e. camera/light mount, beer opener)

Any chance Smith gave you a delivery date on the Forefront?

Looking forward to the reviews.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I assume that all helmets pass the same safety tests. That leaves;

Coverage
    Ventilation
    Fit
    Retention

I have an older Giro Xen that I want to replace mainly because of the retention system. It has no dial and wobbles with my light on unless it is very tight. I'm sure it needs new pads or a thicker tuque. Thanks Francois, I'm Looking forward to the test.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I would divide the review into categories and create a points system. Then rank them by overall points.

Categories I am interested in:
    Coverage/protection
    Weight
    Ventilation
    Fit/padding/retention system
    Price
    Looks
    Additional features (i.e. camera/light mount, beer opener)

Any chance Smith gave you a delivery date on the Forefront?

Looking forward to the reviews.
    Great feedback. I get a Smith Forefront on Jan 10.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You may also want to consider compatibility with goggles.

mtbr member
    Fit is such a personal thing and it makes these tests ultimately subjective. Once past that it boils down to value, ventilation (including sweat management), and weight. For example I love the finish and features of the iXS Trail RS, but it was simply too narrow and pinched my head. The cheaper Catlike Leaf on the other hand fit amazing, despite not quite ticking as many boxes. Bottom line, gotta go with fit. I'd love to consider mounting lights a category, but it still seems to be an afterthought.

Lastly, I'm curious why the Catlike Leaf and MET Parabellum are not included?

mtbr member
    For me its fit first and foremost. I was really ready to get a POC but after trying it on it was just a little too narrow for me. I ended up with a Bell Super. It just fit the best had the best ventilation and I have to say the padding is the best I have seen in a bicycle helmet ever.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tntt View Post
    You may also want to consider compatibility with goggles.
    Done for sure. Glasses too.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Fit is such a personal thing and it makes these tests ultimately subjective. Once past that it boils down to value, ventilation (including sweat management), and weight. For example I love the finish and features of the iXS Trail RS, but it was simply too narrow and pinched my head. The cheaper Catlike Leaf on the other hand fit amazing, despite not quite ticking as many boxes. Bottom line, gotta go with fit. I'd love to consider mounting lights a category, but it still seems to be an afterthought.

Lastly, I'm curious why the Catlike Leaf and MET Parabellum are not included?
    MET Parabellum is in now. It's not legal to be sold in the US though for 2014.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd like to see side and back pictures of each helmet on the same person so that it can be clear if any of the helmets offer more coverage than the others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Fit is such a personal thing and it makes these tests ultimately subjective.
    We have a winner
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Honestly, I'd love to see a destructive test of the MET Parachute. I think there are a lot of people looking for a light FF helmet for XC riding.
    I'd love to get an idea of what that chin bar can withstand. I know it won't meet ASTM 1952, but I don't think a XC FF needs to.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

swag ho Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    We have a winner
    Definitely. Luckily, there are other factors for comparing helmets.

On the issue of fit, there are generally round and oval heads. Which one are you or don't know?

Fc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

On the issue of fit, there are generally round and oval heads. Which one are you or don't know?

Fc

This is something I think helmet makers need to make more public. It's something you see allot in motorcycle helmets. As mountain bike helmets start to cover more of the back of the head and they will need to put more thought in to head shape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Fc

Don't really know. In the past, Giro helmets have always been more comfortable than the Bell helmets I've tried.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I understand how manufactures can't say 'this helmet fits X type of head' because that would limit your buyers market.

But I agree it would be really nice if mtbr and other reviewers could say 'our testers felt this helmet would generally be best for round/oval heads...'

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Will the camera mounts work for lights instead? A light mount seems like a better feature than a camera mount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Comfort is key, a helmet will sit upon your head at hours at a time, and yes comfort is subjective, and that is why a variety of head shapes needs to be part of the test. But a helmet with a fancy camera mount, or goggle strap integration, or one that is more ventilated than any other won't mean squat if the helmet is uncomfortable-right?

MTB B'dos
    Agreed. I'd like to know how the other less well known/popular brands compare to the better known brands like Giro and Bell fit wise. I've a more oval shape, so Bells fit me, Giros don't - looking at the iXS Trail RS, like the design, ventilation and retention system, wonder about the shape and fit.

Fc

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    What I would like to know is: What is the justification in spending big bucks for a helmet like the POC Trabec when the fit and feel of the Giro seems very similar? My LBS has both and I am leaning toward the Giro but would spring for the POC if it was quantifiably better, safer then the Giro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    What I would like to know is: What is the justification in spending big bucks for a helmet like the POC Trabec when the fit and feel of the Giro seems very similar? My LBS has both and I am leaning toward the Giro but would spring for the POC if it was quantifiably better, safer then the Giro.
    Unless the POC has the MIPS system, there is no advantage over the Giro safety wise. They both have to pass the same basic safety tests. It all comes down to fit, ventilation and looks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Agreed. I'd like to know how the other less well known/popular brands compare to the better known brands like Giro and Bell fit wise. I've a more oval shape, so Bells fit me, Giros don't - looking at the iXS Trail RS, like the design, ventilation and retention system, wonder about the shape and fit.
    I was able to try an IXS at Crankworx. I found it fits very similarly to the Troy Lee A1 (if I give the A1 a 10 for fit I'll give the IXS a 9.5) but with much more ventilation. Looks like it'll be a great helmet and pretty sure I'll be grabbing one this year.

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the reply. Shape wise though, more like Giro (round) or Bell (oval) or is the system so adjustable it should fit most shapes?

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I was able to try an IXS at Crankworx. I found it fits very similarly to the Troy Lee A1 (if I give the A1 a 10 for fit I'll give the IXS a 9.5) but with much more ventilation. Looks like it'll be a great helmet and pretty sure I'll be grabbing one this year.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast