Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Mtb Specific Helmet?

I picked up an inexpensive Bontrager helmet from my local Trek dealer last week.

I noticed yesterday there is a sticker inside that says it's not for off-road use.

Is there something different I should be looking at for hitting the trails or is this more of a liability "CAUTION IDIOT, COFFEE IS HOT!" type thing?

It is this helmet: Bontrager: Solstice (Model #11671)
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Mtb Specific Helmet?

Not sure without knowing the specific helmet. A lot of MTB helmet differ from road ones in that they come down further in the back to protect the back of your head.

Reminds me of football helmets saying “No helmet system can protect you from serious brain and/or neck injuries including paralysis or death. To avoid these risks, do not engage in the sport of football.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looks like the Solstice falls in their "sport" category. They have two styles in the mountain category. From what I can tell they are reinforced and/or provide more coverage. Personally helmets are not an area that I would choose to go low budget.

Dirt, Sweat and Gears

Re: Mtb Specific Helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Looks like the Solstice falls in their "sport" category. They have two styles in the mountain category. From what I can tell they are reinforced and/or provide more coverage. Personally helmets are not an area that I would choose to go low budget.
    That's a thought I had too.

On one hand get the best you can afford... On the other... If it wasn't good enough to protect your head I'd hope a major bike shop wouldn't be selling it.

It was, and still is the best I could swing at the moment but I am saving for a Bell MTB helmet I like.

I just was unaware there were any differences outside of styling.
    Noob on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 7
    Dirt, Sweat and Gears - my new outdoors blog

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk3Niner View Post
    That's a thought I had too.

On one hand get the best you can afford... On the other... If it wasn't good enough to protect your head I'd hope a major bike shop wouldn't be selling it.

It was, and still is the best I could swing at the moment but I am saving for a Bell MTB helmet I like.

I just was unaware there were any differences outside of styling.
    In many cases the difference IS just styling. A lot of MTB helmets I have tried on LOOK like they offer more coverage, but in fact don't. They just come down less on the sides and/or are lower profile in the rear, both of which give the appearance of coming down farther in the back.

Not to say that some mtb helmets don't offer more coverage (some do) but just being labeled "mtb" or "AM" does not mean anything by itself. My old road helmet (some Bell model) offers MORE coverage than my Giro Xen, the Giro Xar, and several other mtb helmets I have tried on. In fact I would say it is on par with some of the better coverage AM helmets I have tried on. It just looks a lot goofier.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Following the liability disclaimer notion, might the "Not for off-road" warning be related to ATV use? Many folks wear and crash using "sport" category helmets. If you go to various manufactures web sites, many will sell a helmet in both the road and mountain categories where the only difference between the two appear to be color choices and the mtb offering fitted with a visor. I believe that all bicycle helmets, regardless of category, still have to pass the same safety standards, don't they?