mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtb shorts fit question

So I picked up a pair of aero tech mtb shorts. they are baggy with chamois liner. Its my first pair and im not certain they fit properly.
    The waist and legs (inner) seem to be just snug enough. On the bike the padding feels ok but when standing the padded area is very loose. Is that typical?

Trailhead Poseur
    I'm not familiar with that particular brand of shorts, but it's common for cycling-specific clothing to be cut to fit best while in a riding position.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    when standing the padded area is very loose
    Of course that's not good. With road biking gear, sometimes the chamois is so tight that when you stand up straight, you sing an octave higher. The idea is for the chamois to fit snugly against your crotch--otherwise it's going to move around and/or snag on your saddle. You really can't get a decent chamois with mtb shorts for under $100. So you might consider buying some real cycling shorts with a good chamois, and then wear some baggie pants over them. Or consider something like Jett Raptor shorts($$$$).

Carbon or Commie?
    Decent chamois with mtb shorts for under $100:

Pearl izumi canyon
    Pearl izumi rev

As stated above, the liner should be snug on the junk. Keep everything right where you put it, whether standing/sitting/flying over the handlebars, whatever you do, should still be snug. Try pulling them up a little more.

Cow Clicker
    I used to wear an integrated pair and they fit that same way. I had to jack them up Erkle style right before I got n the bike or else I'd be showing my ass crack and get raw schlong after about 10 miles.

I recently bought a pair of canari evolution bibs and prana mojo shorts. Best money spent on this hobby so far.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The pearl izumi had a ton of reviews stating innacurate sizing while the aero tech did not so I thought id give them a try. Well seems the problem was the user not the product. As suggested I simply wasnt pulling them up high enough. Once I did they now seem to fit just fine. Ill try em out for a bit and see how they hold up. Thanks for the help guys!

Carbon or Commie?
    Yeah, sometimes you gotta hike some brands up a bit higher than what is 'fashionable'.

If you're worried about inaccurate sizing on the pearl izumi stuff (they definitely DON'T line up with walmart cargo short sizes), then go try some on at REI and find your size.

Keep us informed on how the aerotech stuff works for you.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I recently bought a pair of canari evolution bibs and prana mojo shorts. Best money spent on this hobby so far.
    I also ride with prana mojo shorts over bibs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You really can't get a decent chamois with mtb shorts for under $100. So you might consider buying some real cycling shorts with a good chamois, and then wear some baggie pants over them. Or consider something like Jett Raptor shorts($$$$).
    Scratch Jett Raptor shorts off the list--I saw the current model in an LBS, and the chamois is crap. I have a pair of older Jett Raptor shorts that I got on sale for 50% off, and it has a much nicer chamois.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My very first ride was 16 miles and the shorts performed perfect. Matter of fact after washing them they look brand new. I will do a lil review on them in about a month.