mtbr member
    Nov 2011

MTB Shorts <$60 (Suggestions?)

Hey guys,

Looking to get my first pair of MTB shorts. I'm trying to find something that comes to my knees when standing and doesn't stick to them while riding. I always carry my cell phone and keys, so good (preferably external) pockets are must, located somewhere high so they won't slide on my legs. Color is not a huge deal.

I can't really find anything with reliable reviews, so I'm hoping I can get links and recommendations from your experiences. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Zoic shorts come to mind, try hucknroll.com. They usually have some on sale but I only have the zoics and enduras to speak of. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    IMHO, the way to go is to get padded chamois undershorts (the short variety) and wear normal shorts over top of them. Bike specific mtb shorts are a frickin waste, most are nothing but nylon cargo shorts with some crotch padding, which the undershorts do better and make redundant.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I like the hoss ponderosas

I've heard they might be discontinued. But Jenson has a couple of sized and so does Blue Sky

BlueSkyCycling.com - Hoss Ponderosa Baggy Shorts

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I like swingset's answer best. I've looked at several, both on-line and in LBS, and just can't justify the price. I wear a pair of board shorts out when I ride. Suits my purposes just fine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just got some shorts from Aerotech Designs. I am impressed so far. I have the Black Pearl shorts and wear them under some Canari shorts I cut the liner out of (or just by themselves), but Aerotech makes some baggies that come with the Black Pearl chamois. I'm guessing they'd be very comfortable.

The Hoss Ponderosas are OK, but the material rips fairly easily and the chamois isn't super comfortable. For my money, I'd check out the Aerotech. Most of their shorts are under $60.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just bought a pair of Fox Sergeant shorts (2011) from pricepoint.com. They are my first pair of true MTB shorts so I have nothing to compare them to but I like them a lot. A ton better than riding in normal cargo shorts as the material has some stretch to it and they come with a removable padded chamois.

mtbr member
    RockGardn Karmas!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I tried a pair of Endura Hummvee and they were nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    I just bought a pair of Fox Sergeant shorts (2011) from pricepoint.com. They are my first pair of true MTB shorts so I have nothing to compare them to but I like them a lot. A ton better than riding in normal cargo shorts as the material has some stretch to it and they come with a removable padded chamois.
    I bought a pair last summer and the have held up great. More affordable than many others and the liner they come with is really nice. Fit is pretty true to size and the length is good. they cover the top of my knee pads while pedaling and aren't as baggy as some others I've owned which is nice as they don't get hung up on your saddle. I like them so much I'm thinking about picking up another pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    gonna second the Aerotech suggestion...great stuff, not paying for fashion or marketing:

Men's Mountain bike shorts, Loose casual fit baggy cycling short for mtb biking and bicycle touring
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    IMHO, the way to go is to get padded chamois undershorts (the short variety) and wear normal shorts over top of them. Bike specific mtb shorts are a frickin waste, most are nothing but nylon cargo shorts with some crotch padding, which the undershorts do better and make redundant.
    I've stopped buying shorts and just buy the Pearl Izumi liners. Excellent padded chamois and fit I've seen them $30 retail but also at 1/2 that price at times. Just wear them under anything with flat seams.
    A quality short with a liner, the Telluride Pactimo short. A bit short for your specifics. Best looking short I have and an excellent chamois. Zoics are good, Hoss not.
    agmtb

Miami, FL
    Pearl Izumi liner shorts with any ol' shorts over them.

got two pair from HucknRoll: Pearl Izumi Liner Short - Men's*from Hucknroll.com
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

mtbr member
    Rockgardn Karma All-Mountain Shorts

With padded base layer / Liner Short

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys! I have been doing more research myself and the Fox Sergeants have really caught my eye. I think that's probably what I'm going to end up getting, but not before I look at all of the above suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    I've stopped buying shorts and just buy the Pearl Izumi liners. Excellent padded chamois and fit I've seen them $30 retail but also at 1/2 that price at times. Just wear them under anything with flat seams.
    A quality short with a liner, the Telluride Pactimo short. A bit short for your specifics. Best looking short I have and an excellent chamois. Zoics are good, Hoss not.
    Pearl Izumi liners are the best in the biz! I use them with other brands of shorts because their liners suck.

I like Pealr Izumi, Royal Racing and Club Ride shorts, to name a few...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ride naked bro !

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would suggest:

Zoic Black Market Shorts
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoic-Black-Mar.../dp/B00791Q61K

others have mentioned.. you can buy a Pearl Izumi liner for $30 and then get a normal pair of shorts or use a pair you already own... I've found that the liners/Chamois in all brands of MTB shorts doesn't even compare to what you'd get if you spent a little more on True spandex Bike shorts/Bibs. it might look gay, but your ass will be much more comfy.

mtbr member
    i really like my pearl isumi canyons, not alot of the pocket front but i toss my keys and phone in a small under seat pack.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Dickies. Done.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Purchased these last week. Rode in em twice. Felt great. Good chamois. Detachable liner. Sizing accurate.I still like bibs more, but these are nice baggies. $45.

Sierra Trading Post - Pactimo Telluride MTB Shorts (For Men)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking to get my first pair of MTB shorts. I'm trying to find something that comes to my knees when standing and doesn't stick to them while riding. I always carry my cell phone and keys, so good (preferably external) pockets are must, located somewhere high so they won't slide on my legs. Color is not a huge deal.

I can't really find anything with reliable reviews, so I'm hoping I can get links and recommendations from your experiences. Thanks!
    If your looking for something with a lot of pockets, nice loud colors, and practically indestructible... check out Oneils Azonic Venom MTB shorts. the black neon is the bomb. I got these as a gift, and removed all the "TPR Patch Protection" with a seam ripper, now they are my favorite shorts. you just cant tear up this denier fabric, and the 4 way spandex crotch feels like I got a fan on my top tube, blowing on the boys.

Nema makes a similar MTB short (Gambler) but alas only 1 pocket. They are very comfortable and cool, over any chamois as are the Venom shorts.

OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnewcomer View Post
    and the 4 way spandex crotch feels like I got a fan on my top tube, blowing on the boys.

well you have me sold on these, i may order a couple pairs now.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    well you have me sold on these, i may order a couple pairs now.
    RobinGB, Forgot until just now... check reviews on these, the Venoms run a full size larger than most shorts.

OldMtnGoat